Important Victoria & Area SFAB Halibut Mtg Nov. 27

Inside info from today has it that some boat manufacturers are starting to wonder what’s going to happen to Sportfishing in the Pacific Northwest in the near future. A couple are researching which direction they should be taking their business.

Last edited:
That's the thing about these issues. People don't stop to realize how far reaching most of these issues are. They think they are just putting a few guides and lodges out of business. It's far more reaching than just that. It's boat manufacturers, tackle manufacturers, restaurants, hotels, aviation, retail stores, campsites, one can stretch the list out a long ways. Those fish are a valuable commodity out there all over what a few damn whales ??

BINGO walleyes gets it....been saying this for 14 years and no one listened now its has come and yet nothing getting done NOW, and I hear "oh we are working on behind the scenes" DFO is incompetent and we all know it...because we enable them to walk all over us. all this time

DFO are a government agency.
They don't answer to anyone but the governing party
(which changes after most elections.)
They are not accountable to anyone but themselves and getting
their cooperation is unlikely.

I emailed a conservative mp that is on the fiaheries and oceans panel. He’s one that supports a seal harvest.

He told me about the conservative hunter and angling caucus

I emailed him beacise he’s retiring and it’s sad to loose such an advocate we had in our corner on the DFO panel in parliament

https://m.facebook.com/conservativehuntingandangling/

Their are people and politicians out their that care about hunting and angling but they ain’t in the liberal party I can tell you that.

“Sorry for my tardy reply but I wanted to thank you for your kind thoughts. For a number of personal reasons, primarily my age actually, I have decided to return to my beautiful farm south of Riding Mountain National Park to lead a wonderful outdoor life and teach my grand kids about hunting and angling. No one is indispensable and I can assure you that our loud and proud support of angling will continue via the Conservative Hunting and Angling Caucus and all our MPs.

Thanks again . Hopefully we can wet a line one day.

Tight lines,

Bob”

Last edited:
What happened to "sunny ways" ahead that all on here hammered me over some time ago??? Sounds like it was better with Mr Harper...…I don't see anything getting better anytime soon. Even us fishermen would rather fight each other than unit as 1 STRONG voice. What is being recommended for hali this year?, smaller, one fish day, one in possession, less annual. DFO is only sitting by laughing while WE in fight and close our own fishery.

HM

Spot on Wolf. I tried to get on board with these guys. They totally dropped the ball and ever since it’s been my fault. But I’ll tell you this, it had nothing to do with me other than I volunteered. The cluster **** was at the other end, where they ask for help but give you never ending grief or try and tell you, you don’t understand when THEY **** it up. Go ahead and fire away you two but you guys know it’s on you. Nuff said. Except the old” at least we got.....” or “it could be worse” you trot out every year when we get a tighter restriction or another size reduction.

Spot on Wolf. I tried to get on board with these guys. They totally dropped the ball and ever since it’s been my fault. But I’ll tell you this, it had nothing to do with me other than I volunteered. The cluster **** was at the other end, where they ask for help but give you never ending grief or try and tell you, you don’t understand when THEY **** it up. Go ahead and fire away you two but you guys know it’s on you. Nuff said. Except the old” at least we got.....” or “it could be worse” you trot out every year when we get a tighter restriction or another size reduction.

There just is no pushback. More importantly no protests etc. Although hearing one is getting organized but not through those at the top.

EXACTLY... they really dont care much as they are up in nomindo where they haven't been touched before... and they call us names etc sort of a on line bully,,,,, whatever . I know ive tried for a very long time to help with my area and areas beyond have attended so many meeting all for what a waste really at end of day when you have certain individuals that are doing it for personal interests and justify what they think is right.

EXACTLY... they really dont care much as they are up in nomindo where they haven't been touched before... and they call us names etc sort of a on line bully,,,,, whatever . I know ive tried for a very long time to help with my area and areas beyond have attended so many meeting all for what a waste really at end of day when you have certain individuals that are doing it for personal interests and justify what they think is right.

I hate to say but if there is online bully I would say from what your writing you may need to look in that mirror. I take a lot of offense to the bashing of our volunteers who work for free. We don't have the time to babysit on here. People are trying it's all they can all do with limited resource and hardly any money. We opened all the communication of what is going on. All people have to do is ask if they arent getting info.

If you are that unhappy I get it, but some of things you have written and others here are to be frank extremely disappointing, and as one of the volunteers is upsetting. It's such a thankless job, but in the end at least we are doing something not sitting around and complaining. Please think hard before you post things publically you can't take back.

None of us are the enemy, and calling us bullies is wrong. All we are doing is to try and make it so we have fishing opportunities. Dfo is the issue and your directing your anger in wrong place.

Last edited:
Not sure how the SFAB is responsible for
Chinook stocks failing.

Or the fishing power that some areas have compared to others or where the week stocks are migrating.

Or for where the damn whales spend most of their time

The SFAB process is made up of volunteers. In the 10 years I have been involved, I have only ever seen one person step up to the plate at SFAB election time in our area. And that was this fall, and was a cleverly orchestrated move to truck in a whole bunch of hand picked people didn't like the current chair, made up of people who don't usually fish in our area, nor regularly attend SFAB meetings, to toss the current chair out. Whatever, that's the democratic process. That being said, I have seen 9 other chances (The election meetings I have attended for the SFAB in the past)for someone to step up and take part in representing our area through the SFAB. It has not happened. Both chairs won by acclimation 10 years in a row. So no one down here wanted to help with the SFAB for area 19 thru 20.4, so I don't think anyone here can call them out.

Let's not bash our volunteers. The SFAB process is not a "fight". It is an advisory process. DFO says "This is the data we have to manage our stocks with. Here is what we can give you". The SFAB then takes that to their constituents, and the 4 or so that participate in our current meeting format every fall send their ideas back up the chain (We are not allowed to have big meetings anymore). Then, the main board tweaks them, and sends them to Ottawa. Then Ottawa ignores them, and does a load of stupid crap, spring comes, and we get whatever they give us. The SFAB is not a lobbying body. SVIAC, WCGA, SFI and ( I think) even the BCWF do that.

As far as a comment here that someone has not received anything from the groups "fighting" for us. I have personally sent out 3 newsletters on behalf of one group since December. The group I am with has a seat at the IPHC, and seat at the Groundfish working group, which our representative will be attending next week. Same with members from the groups I mentioned above, all of these groups speak for us at several levels at these meetings.. I also know the biggest group that I am not currently a member of, headed by a well seasoned 20 year fisheries advocate (Not someone named Chris), who is flying to Ottawa next week to speak with the powers that be on the Orca fiasco. This is also another member funded group.

Best way to hear about what these groups are doing is to support them, and be on the mailing list. There is a group for everyone, so if someone doesn't like one group, then join another. I know of at least one of the groups that will put you on the mailing list even if you are not a member.

Not a member? Not requested to be on a mailing list? Then please don't complain about lack of notifications.

Were not allowed our opinions ??
Volunteers have priority over guys that are to busy to attend meetings ? But care about decissions bein made ?

Ok

Probably why most guys just don’t give a **** anymore

FD

If I implied opinions were not.allowed I am sorry! I just gave mine in a long ramble sort of way. We all want to go fishing. Normally we would have all caught a halibut by now. Must be early season halibut withdrawl for me.

Lastchance I don't think you said anywhere that people can't have opinions. You were speaking more about calling out the reps who have stepped forward which often gets personal. I will say in all the years that I've been attending meetings for the Victoria SFAC and the AGM's for the two societies I sit as a director that many people are way to busy to attend meetings....and on the nights with the poorest attendance more often than not there is a regular season or playoff game on TV that night. Speaks to the priorities and what kind of busy is keeping many from showing up. Those who do show up really don't want to be there either. Lastchance when we go to these meetings we have already been briefed on the topics of the meetings so we aren't there to learn anything new..we are there to share with those who are not as connected and make sure they get up to speed on the issues. Which makes it even more depressing when few show up. In a normal year the local SFAC's have 2 meetings in a year...more in recent years with all the crap going on.

Back