Homemade outboard pot puller

cool!

I know an old timer who tried to convince us that he used to pull traps by wrapping his line around the prop of his kicker. Pure BS no doubt. But a good fishing tale

Looks cool but not practical at all certainly not in salt water conditions.

First and foremost that would be nothing but a ball of corroded metal in about 6 months to a years time and forward. And very expensive to replace.

Second, not something one would want fingers around or rope ends swinging around way to many pinch points with those open pulleys.

There are simpler ways to build and cheaper.

Careful with the kicker bracket, those are only rated for 100-150lbs (give or take with the brand) don’t wanna loose it all! but very interesting build!

couple of thoughts... first, if you could figure out a way to get a prop back in there and have a engage/disengage lever you then can have a 2 for 1 system... trolling motor and a pot puller!

be careful of not getting clothing, zippers, hair, hands, fingers etc caught up in that contraption... i can foresee a ****** day on the water if something goes wrong... why don't you buy a $100 cheapo honda lawnmower engine and create something that would be a permanent workhorse? seems like you have the talent to make a good setup... while it does look like a creative build, I am not sure about how well it would work in the real world...

if you get a chance to try it out, capture a video and post it here.. i am sure the guys including myself would love to see it in action.

cool!

I know an old timer who tried to convince us that he used to pull traps by wrapping his line around the prop of his kicker. Pure BS no doubt. But a good fishing tale

Funny I heard something similar from a old timer, only it was a wheel barrel wheel on the flywheel :0

Looks cool but not practical at all certainly not in salt water conditions.

First and foremost that would be nothing but a ball of corroded metal in about 6 months to a years time and forward. And very expensive to replace.

Second, not something one would want fingers around or rope ends swinging around way to many pinch points with those open pulleys.

There are simpler ways to build and cheaper.

This old $250 outboard has been bathing in the salt for some years, still going strong, It will be fine. Side note it was pulling traps all last season with just a spindle off the crank, it pulled to fast and bogging the motor down though.

Careful with the kicker bracket, those are only rated for 100-150lbs (give or take with the brand) don’t wanna loose it all! but very interesting build!

Yeah it's a worry for me as well, for now I got a heavy braided line anchoring it to the hull. I will evidentially be going for something more robust.

couple of thoughts... first, if you could figure out a way to get a prop back in there and have a engage/disengage lever you then can have a 2 for 1 system... trolling motor and a pot puller!

be careful of not getting clothing, zippers, hair, hands, fingers etc caught up in that contraption... i can foresee a ****** day on the water if something goes wrong... why don't you buy a $100 cheapo honda lawnmower engine and create something that would be a permanent workhorse? seems like you have the talent to make a good setup... while it does look like a creative build, I am not sure about how well it would work in the real world...

if you get a chance to try it out, capture a video and post it here.. i am sure the guys including myself would love to see it in action.

Thanks. My thought was the same, maybe some kind of engage/disengage level in the future. I made it in such a way the belt comes off easy, so trolling wont put extra wear on the system. A belt cover is defiantly in order.

I will get a video of it in action.

The spool looks like a downrigger spool. I doubt it will be strong enough.
Watch the fingers!
Stosh

Well each to their own that’s for sure lol. It is an interesting contraption I’ll give you that.

This is the old setup I mentioned. It would pull a string of three traps from 200ft in no time. Problem was it was taking a toll on my rope letting it slip enough to keep rpms up.

I still have my custom puller that this absolute legend that I sold a few downriggers years ago to made me. He was making himself one and messaged me one day asking if I wanted one since he was already making one, only asked me to pay for a few of the parts he didn’t already have. Has a 2000lb princess auto winch attached, arm folds back on itself. Absolute beast of a unit, probably 40lbs, but started using a Scotty puller id won given the very limited storage space on my rig. Has worked for several years and still runs. Much stronger than the Scotty but boy was it noisy. Inspiration for you guys handier than myself!

Attachments

• 4B22D707-42D7-42D8-9470-773966BA6A2E.png
    4B22D707-42D7-42D8-9470-773966BA6A2E.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 127
I still have my custom puller that this absolute legend that I sold a few downriggers years ago to made me. He was making himself one and messaged me one day asking if I wanted one since he was already making one, only asked me to pay for a few of the parts he didn’t already have. Has a 2000lb princess auto winch attached, arm folds back on itself. Absolute beast of a unit, probably 40lbs, but started using a Scotty puller id won given the very limited storage space on my rig. Has worked for several years and still runs. Much stronger than the Scotty but boy was it noisy. Inspiration for you guys handier than myself!

That's a nice unit. I was toying around with the idea of a atv winch. I think when this kicker finally dies (if it ever does), I will do something similar.

Cool to see the creative process in action but there are other developed and proven systems that may be more effective, particularly those using hydraulics like the Commies use. For a few years the local FN's had an older heavy med. size sport boat that had been outfitted like a mini commercial boat at my marina - outriggers etc. For trap strings and possibly even for shorter bottom fish ground lines, they had a Briggs and Stratton motor on deck with a hydraulic pump system going to a puller assembly.

Last edited:
I built a similiar unit.. Was great until the traps caught on bottom and it almost sank the boat. LOL - Lucky/unlucky the scott mount snapped and I lost it to the sea.

I have too much time on my hands :p still need to sort out the engine cover.

https://streamable.com/es2f8
That's fantastic, thanks for sharing. If you want to take it to the next level - Replace that reduction gearbox on the outboard with a hydraulic pump and remote mount a hydraulic motor somewhere on the boat that's more ergonomic. It should be safer too, you might even be able to get the outboard cowl back on.

Cheers.

I was tossing around the idea of hydraulics. I could put a power steering pump on the Mercruiser to run it. The cost is what turned me away, 3 way valve, lines, motor.. I have very little into this boat, it's hard to justify. Would be sweet though.

I think my fishing/safty gear almost cost is much as a paid for this boat lol

Back