Herring in the Gorge?

The other herring thread got me thinking about fishing for them off the bridge over the Gorge in Victoria. I live and work in Sidney now, so I don't get by there like I used to...has anyone noticed any activity there?

Paul

What do you find the is best thing to catch them with? Besides a bought herring rig. I made a couple rigs and of all the things i found a small peice of rubber egg worked well. Sounds weird but i caught 115 in 2 hours. I have tryed small flies and they didnt work that well. Just curious what other people use?

I've never tried anything other than the store bought jigs when using a rod. A couple of years ago on Easter weekend they were so thick around the pilings at the Ganges Marina we just used a dip net.

Paul

I actually imatated small krill in a fly and went down to the gorge off the rocks with the fly rod and had a great time. Drove by yesterday and it was a gong show, I always thought this was to early... I guess not. Has anybody been shwackin' dem?

Paul, today at about 4:00 PM there had to be at least 30 people fishing them from the Admirals Road bridge over the Gorge. I'd say that's a good indication of what the score is there.

Have fun.

Well, to be honest, it's not normally that busy. You have to remember it was Sunday afternoon and people were looking for an afternoon outing. Usually I see less than 10 people fishing there when I drive by.

There are other places to go too. Selkirik trestle, Tillicum road and the walkway to the west of Gorge. You can cast off there and get them too. If you want to get away from the crowds you can usually find a corner where there are less people.

Where's the easiest place to try when you've got kids with you (6yr & 4yr)? I want them to have a try but not on a crowded bridge near traffic.

Cheers,
Alex

... "high water" is when you can fish from your car.

I think Selkirk trestle would be a good spot to give it a try. The bridge is safe for little ones I would think. It's worth a wander down to have a look anyway.

There's parking at the north end of the trestle where all that new development is at the foot of Jutland road and Gorge road.

Kildonan,
Thanks, I'll try it this weekend with my kids and cooment after.

Cheers,
Alex

I took the wife and herd of kids out to the Selkirk trestle Sunday evening (5:30-dark). I agree with Kildonan's suggestion, this is probably the best place with kids.

However, fishing was pretty sparse with only about 10% of the people getting fish ... and only a few at that.

Maybe it was just not a good tide that day.

Cheers,
Alex

I think you have to be at the right spot at the right time. And also, if you consider the opening under the bridge on Tillicum and Admirals roads are narrower, the fish will be more heavily concentrated under those bridges. The Selkirk trestle has quite a wide span so the fish will be more spread out. That's likely why the masses are on those two other bridges. Those aren't good places for little kids with all the traffic.

I hope the kids had fun.

If you want to take little kids for some fun fishing, take them to Durrance lake to fish for trout. You can fish them from shore in the spring with a bobber and worm pretty nicely. There can be lots of action there for kids. Durrance was recently stocked with 10 inch rainbows and they bite quite well. Usually it gets good there in early April.

Have fun.

Back