Halibut slot size querry

Statler

Here is the response from DFO that I said I would post once received. I was going to post it in the other thread but searching took to long. Anyway here it is.
Kind of disappointed that the two DFO Officers at the past Vic Boat show told me the complete opposite.
Seems a shame that one could get around the regs by doing this but it is what it is

Sent: Monday, March 25, 2013 11:46 AM
Subject: RE: Halibut slot size querry

Hello,

Thank you for sending in your inquiry regarding the recreational halibut fishery and the experimental quota program. Your questions were forwarded to me from the communications and public inquiry department, I hope I will be able to help.

1- Could you confirm that if Quota was purchased under the Recreational Halibut Experimental Fishery that it would allow a Rec Fisher to exceed the slot size restriction that has been imposed?
Answer: the experimental recreational halibut fishery does allow recreational harvesters to acquire quota to exceed the regular season limits (daily and possession limits, as well as size limits). Under the regular tidal water licence a recreational fisher cannot keep a halibut that is larger than the size limits laid out in the conditions of licence. In order to keep a halibut larger than the size limits an experimental licence and the appropriate amount of quota must be acquired for the whole fish (i.e., the fish cannot be “split” among the 2 licence types; the entire fish must be attributed to the experimental licence and is thus quota applicable).

2- Could you confirm that if a fishing lodge were to participate in this program that it would allow their clients to exceed the slot size?
Answer: yes, lodges that choose to participate can acquire an experimental licence to allow clients to exceed the current daily, possession, and size limits. Again, if fish are retained that are over the size limit, the whole fish must be attributed to the experimental fishery, not just the portion of it that is over the limit.

If you have any other questions please don’t hesitate to call or email. Also, you can find more information regarding the experimental recreational halibut fishery here:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/commercial/ground-fond/halibut-fletan/index-eng.htm. The website currently reflects the 2012 fishery, but the 2013 information should be online within a day.

Thanks,
Chantelle

Chantelle Caron
A/ Halibut and Sablefish Coordinator
Fisheries and Aquaculture Management | Direction des pêches et de l'aquaculture
Fisheries and Oceans Canada | Pêches et Océans Canada
Vancouver, Canada V6C 3S4

chantelle.caron@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Telephone | Téléphone 604-666-0912
Facsimile | Télécopieur 604-666-8525
Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada

where is the quota going to come from; unfished quote is very hard to come by; even by commies; most unused is boughten up by fish buyers then leased to their fishermen to enable buyers to maintain their profits; if lodges want some they will find it very hard to come by

where is the quota going to come from; unfished quote is very hard to come by; even by commies; most unused is boughten up by fish buyers then leased to their fishermen to enable buyers to maintain their profits; if lodges want some they will find it very hard to come by

DFO holds quota for "Administrative Purposes", maybe that's what it's for.

i dont know if this has been answered yet but im curious if we are only allowed 6 per year can they be 6 big ones under 126cm or does it have to be 3 big and three small? - also heading out to west coast this weekend to catch the last days of old regs !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Its actually 126cm , and yes you can take 6 large annually
just have to make sure if you're on an extended trip that your possesion
limit is not exceeded and one must be under if you have 2.

thats what i thought thx - thinking id rather just take one larger one per trip- the new licenses will be interesting

Back