Halibut fishing question

mikeyman

What is more productive, drifting or anchoring?

If drifting, do you back troll so to speak while the tide is moving to keep your lines on bottom?

How far should your gear be off bottom to avoid hanging up on the bottom but to still fish in the zone?

anchor for monsters, drift to cover area, back trolling definately helps keep gear down.. i like to bonk the bottom then come up 10-15' for jigging... for spreader bar or bait fishing every second swell a lil tap on the bottom rings the dinner bell.

Let me state off the bat -I don't like fishing Hali's-doesn't mean I can't do it but if you want consistent big hali's you need to anchor. You can help yourself with back trolling but you will never get the consistent "scent trail" that a guy at anchor does. I get most of my hali's by trolling hootchys with LED lights very close to the bottom but you will seldom get as many bigger hali's as the guys at anchor. Each to his own-hats off to the anchor guys-I respect their knowledge and expertise-just not my cup of tea

Big/consistent, anchor. Action/quantity, drift. With the rules the way they are this year, circle hooks should have become mandatory and if not, anchoring should not have been permitted. If big ones are "FREE" at moutcha bay tho, tuff to say no, id pay for a guide, and "pick" a spot for myself....

Big/consistent, anchor. Action/quantity, drift. With the rules the way they are this year, circle hooks should have become mandatory and if not, anchoring should not have been permitted. If big ones are "FREE" at moutcha bay tho, tuff to say no, id pay for a guide, and "pick" a spot for myself....

Just because your anchoring doesn't mean you only catch big fish every time I've drifted this year I've been skunked but once I got on the anchor I only got skunked once and of the 7 halibut caught on my boat this year none have been oversized lets not talk about banning anchoring that's just plain stupid!

Big/consistent, anchor. Action/quantity, drift. With the rules the way they are this year, circle hooks should never have to be mandatory and , anchoring should always be permitted. If big ones are "FREE" at moutcha bay tho, tuff to say no, id say no to a guide , and "pick" a spot for myself....

fixed :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back