Halibut fishing etiquette?

ExFlyGuy

So on the weekend I was anchored up for the ebb tide for a couple hours. I was the only boat out there the entire time. As the ebb tide was ending a couple guide boats pulled up and set up right behind me maybe 60-80 meters in what I would consider my scent trail. They didn’t anchor but dropped there gear and I believe the first boat there got a fish on there first drop.

Is this cool or should I have told them to get lost?

I was on a large bank/sand flat and there was lots of other places they could have tried. My wife told me I should cut them some slack as they maybe struggling to get there guests fish... she’s always the cooler head.

Any ways interested in hearing your thoughts.

It’s sucks when people do it but there’s not a lot one can do. No one owns the water thank goodness so we share it. It’s not cool what they did but,, carma is a ***** you’ll get your chance just be patient.

IDK for halibut it can be more the merrier especially if everyone's got a sent bag in the water

I get that we have to share the ocean and I don’t mind fishing around other boats. I was just rubbed the wrong way as you could not see any other boats anywhere and they came and set up right behind me. I think it bugged me because we had just got our first halibut in the boat and missed having a double header so I felt like I had been scenting these fish in for the last couple hours and they just rolled in from ling fishing a few miles away on the far shore and start hitting fish.

Any ways they left after the slack tide and as soon as we finished our swing on the anchor we hit another fish so all was good.

Still interested in others thoughts so keep them coming.

I personally wouldnt do it and expect same in return off to the side or way back I dont care whoever it was its a douche move, big ocean out there , Welcome to my world exflyguy . ive had guys motor right up to me ask how fishing is then next day see them right where I was ... thats really ignorant And I apologize thats not cool at all not all guides are like that....

Personally if someone is anchored up on a spot I wanted to be on I would find somewhere else to fish. I would feel like a complete tool bag anchoring that close to someone else .

Good on you ExFlyGuy, no use messing a perfect day out with the Gal ....karma ! So did u catch one ?, if not your owed one !

Glad to see you got into some fish. As others have said, dick move. But not everyone has morales. Good karma coming your way.

Oly

Same idea with sturgeon fishing.....

Several guides were quite well known to come in below you on the Fraser and use your scent trail, yet when you did it to them, they seemed to get a tad angry!

When I saw title of thread my first thought is there such a thing? If you fishing in Vic area the etiquette is out the window.

Your better to blow this stuff off. Seen much worse.

I am going halibut fishing for the first time later this month.

It looks like every area has it own rules, or lack thereof.

When visiting new fishing ground, how do you guys figure out what to do and not do?

Not cool at all. Guides are human and their scruples vary. Some are very conscientious and some not so much. A couple years ago I was Hali fishing in March out of Oak Bay and went to an area I had found several years back by studying charts. When we arrived there was a boat pulling anchor and leaving. Great! We start deploying our anchor as he is starting to leave but he does an about face and comes over and starts ripping us a new one for stealing his spot. Turns out he is a guide and after exchanging some high volume pleasantries we invite him to come to Oak Bay for a beer that eve to straighten it out. He never showed. I was just thinking what a treat for his clients to see this guy come completely unhinged. You know who you are and get over yourself as you don’t have to be a guide to find good Hali spots lol.

Back