Gas prices up again

Thank you for that ammo to hit the wife with. I’ll spend my weekend installing a new fuel pump and plan for a clutch soon
wait a sec- would that pave the road for ya to upgrade to a bigger boat if you buy her the EV? That’s ur ROI right there.

I drive Burnaby to Langley and can't make numbers work

New Leaf Base Model-> 42K
New Civic Base Model -> 22K

Difference -> 20K to spend on fuel

Average Cost of my Commute 2800/year

Return on My investment of the Leaf takes 7.14 Years

Leaf batteries need to be replace every 7-8 years at who knows what price...

I would also get free charging at work so I don't even take that into account

Yes you might get some money back in the form of a grant but that doesn't even cover the battery replacement cost

The HOV lane thing is a farce. The HOV lane is already packed with cars and is very rarely faster during rush hour

Like I said be careful jumping on the EV band wagon don't do it to save money as it doesn't pay, but if it feels good to pretend your helping the environment then by all means. But remember where that battery came from and what is going to happen to it when you no longer want it....

I am all from EV's and would buy one if they brought the price down another 20K....

Rant over...

ITs getting pretty close to making it work. There is also some big rebates out right now.

https://electricvehicles.bchydro.com/buying/EV-models-in-BC

I drive Burnaby to Langley and can't make numbers work

New Leaf Base Model-> 42K
New Civic Base Model -> 22K

Difference -> 20K to spend on fuel

Average Cost of my Commute 2800/year

Return on My investment of the Leaf takes 7.14 Years

I would also get free charging at work so I don't even take that into account

Yes you might get some money back in the form of a grant but that doesn't even cover the battery replacement cost

The HOV lane thing is a farce. The HOV lane is already packed with cars and is very rarely faster during rush hour

Like I said be careful jumping on the EV band wagon don't do it to save money as it doesn't pay, but if it feels good to pretend your helping the environment then by all means. But remember where that battery came from and what is going to happen to it when you no longer want it....

I am all from EV's and would buy one if they brought the price down another 20K....

Rant over...

Well, if it’s 8 years, no problem as they have an 8 year warranty on their batteries...

My neighbour is thinking of get an EV for his wife. The dealership let them take a used EV for 2 days to test drive. The test drive isn’t going so well as the car has a range of 160 km on a full charge but it takes 3 days to fully charge using only 110v. He said they haven’t had much chance to drive it as it’s always charging.
Need to have 220v outlet in the garage to charge it faster

Just read an article where Dalhousie is working on a battery in conjunction with Tesla, they claim will last 1 million miles. Given that most cars have a useful life of 150- 200,000 miles the battery changeout will not be a limiting factor as it will outlast the life of the car.

The transition to electric vehicles has intrigued me and like others have noted, if the initial price was comparable I would certainly consider one as my run-around vehicle.

I have a question that some of you may have more knowledge of than me. With an apparent desire by different levels of governments to transition to electric vehicles, why has there been no push by them or local governments to mandate that all new residential building be required to have charging stations? For example, when cities or municipalities issue permits for new condos, apartments building, single family homes etc etc (or even businesses),,,why are they not requiring them to have charging stations for all of the units?? Are they serious about this transition or is it all talk?

Just read an article where Dalhousie is working on a battery in conjunction with Tesla, they claim will last 1 million miles. Given that most cars have a useful life of 150- 200,000 miles the battery changeout will not be a limiting factor as it will outlast the life of the car.

The transition to electric vehicles has intrigued me and like others have noted, if the initial price was comparable I would certainly consider one as my run-around vehicle.

I have a question that some of you may have more knowledge of than me. With an apparent desire by different levels of governments to transition to electric vehicles, why has there been no push by them or local governments to mandate that all new residential building be required to have charging stations? For example, when cities or municipalities issue permits for new condos, apartments building, single family homes etc etc (or even businesses),,,why are they not requiring them to have charging stations for all of the units?? Are they serious about this transition or is it all talk?
That's been a thing in Vancouver for 6 years. Not the charger itself but the circuit for it. Along with solar pre-piping from the roof to the mechanical room.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local...r-to-electrify-transportation-industry-report

Given BC Hydro's less than stellar record when it comes to protecting salmon, steelhead and trout, not to mention the run of river projects; what do you think the outcome will be when they start pressing for more power for all those electric vehicles?
They have a power surplus right now for whatever the current 10-year energy consumption forecast is. When Site C kicks in-in about 2 years- there’s gonna be even a bigger surplus. The holdup isn’t with BC Hydro’s hydro electric generation . It’s the costly transition by the municipalities. The other thing with that Uvic research is that I’d want to see who’s behind that conclusion and who’s the main supplier of the solar and windmill technologies in this province. Always follow the money.

Last edited:
Given that most cars have a useful life of 150- 200,000 miles the battery changeout will not be a limiting factor as it will outlast the life of the car.

Why would you replace an electric car after 300k, An electric motor is easy to rebuild or replace.

The only reason to replace an electric car will be to get the latest and greatest but odds are batteries will become cheaper, lighter and smaller.

That's been a thing in Vancouver for 6 years. Not the charger itself but the circuit for it.
Not sure what you mean Rain City. Are you saying that in a new Condo building for example, (last 6 years) they have circuits running to each of the tenants parking stalls and all they would have to do is tie in a charging unit if they purchased a EV?

Not sure what you mean Rain City. Are you saying that in a new Condo building for example, (last 6 years) they have circuits running to each of the tenants parking stalls and all they would have to do is tie in a charging unit if they purchased a EV?
No I'm talking single family homes. Even laneway homes we build that only have an uncovered off street parking spot require a circuit in the driveway.

That’s awesome. Didn’t know that. I mentioned Condos because my daughter and husband bought a new unit in N Van last year and I was not aware of nor did I notice provisions for EV in their parking stalls. Will look closer next time I’m over there. Sorry to hijack the gas price thread with the EV questions.

That’s awesome. Didn’t know that. I mentioned Condos because my daughter and husband bought a new unit in N Van last year and I was not aware of nor did I notice provisions for EV in their parking stalls. Will look closer next time I’m over there. Sorry to hijack the gas price thread with the EV questions.
I'd say they relate. Only time anyone cares about EV is when gas prices are through the roof.

Lets all remember only thru the roof in lower mainland and island. Still $1.12 in PG and less in all other parts of NA. Common denominator=Mr Horgan...….Or the unfounded reason as he states.

HM

Lets all remember only thru the roof in lower mainland and island. Still $1.12 in PG and less in all other parts of NA. Common denominator=Mr Horgan...….Or the unfounded reason as he states.

HM

The $.60/L mystery/secret which shall not be part of the inquiry.

HM

And honestly the only really practical places where an EV could get used for everyday use in Canada.

Back