Gas prices up again

Discussion in 'General Open Forum' started by scott craven, Oct 2, 2019.

1. triplenickel

triplenickel Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity when does it become gouging? How much of a profit margin is a company allowed to make? There's a strange fixation on gasoline, citizens happily pay for hundreds, heck thousands of products with higher margins.

2. BCRingo

BCRingo Well-Known Member

.... unfortunately, the gouging affects us in more ways than the price at the pump. Products on store shelves, food and groceries, even the cost of most services have been affected lately. Horgy’s inquiries and studies have been as useless as his minister of revenue and finance.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5266014

3. NDT

NDT Active Member

129.9 here in Creston for reg.
    132.9 diesel

4. profisher

profisher Well-Known Member

All it would take is for everyone in BC to pick a brand and boycott it for a month and threatened the next brand the following month....they would think hard about putting prices up for bs reasons knowing doing so would put them on the top of that boycott list. The feeble attempt at not buying gas for a day that has been tryed in the past is dumb....why inconvenience yourself at all...especially when it does nothing. Buy gas any day you want to...just stay away from the brand of the month.

5. Islander57

Islander57 Well-Known Member

149.9 in Comox Valley

6. Goathorns

Goathorns Active Member

$1.60 in Lynn Valley, North Van. for the low grade regular.

7. BCRingo

BCRingo Well-Known Member

162.9 in Burnaby

8. tyeeking

tyeeking Active Member

Gas prices are a lightening rod. I remember my Dad complaining about 29 cents a gallon. We even got S&H Green Stamps with our purchase. Geez I'm old. LOL.

pescador and cuttlefish like this.
  9. ReelSlim

ReelSlim Crew Member

Both gas and diesel are 112.1 in Fort McMurray AB....

10. cuttlefish

cuttlefish Well-Known Member

I joined the Mid Island Coop a while back and buy my gas there as much as possible. https://www.midisland.coop/.
    My sphincter muscle has been feeling better ever since.

BCRingo likes this.
  11. disco

disco Member

Horgan/Weaver/Trudeau take 1/3 of that $1.50 all the while making life as difficult as possible for energy companies. If BC is getting screwed it's because politicians caused the retaliation.

12. pescador

pescador Well-Known Member

1.61 yesterday on w10 in vancouver. It went up .20 over about 10 days. The war on cars in Vancouver is evident every time you go to fuel up.

13. Sotally Tober

Sotally Tober Active Member

This morning most stations in Burnaby are $1.63.9 for regular and $1.37.9 for diesel
    All those electric car owners must be laughing.

14. Corey_lax

Corey_lax Crew Member

They sure are. And it's got us thinking to get my wife one. Lots of $$$ savings and she takes highway 1 into Vancouver everyday so she would get HOV.

I'll stick to my ram 6.7 cummins though

15. disco

disco Member

Last year I bought a 1 year old VW Jetta with 8000 KM for $14,000.00. It gets over 40 mpg. I won't live long enough to recover the price difference if I had bought an EV instead.

Corey_lax and littlechucky like this.
  16. Corey_lax

Corey_lax Crew Member

Sometimes it’s about keeping the wife happy and not about what is best financially haha

17. disco

disco Member

Roger that!

18. ziggy

ziggy Well-Known Member

We got a plug in hybrid as a second car and have used one tank of gas in a year. Worked it out to 962 mpg, but added about $20. a month to our hydro bill. Depends on your driving habits but personally I’d rather give money to BC Hydro than Chevron.

GLG and Corey_lax like this.
  19. Fish Camp

Fish Camp Well-Known Member

Thats great .The problem is only 5 out of 50 households on a block can be supplyed to to charge your electric cars.Whats everyone else on the block going to do to pay for your upgrades that haven't been invented yet so we may apply without brown outs?The grid can't handle electic cars for everyone yet.I say make the greenies pay for the upgrades to the hydro systemin there auto plan.

IronNoggin and Fishtofino like this.
  20. GLG

GLG Well-Known Member

BC Hydro does not share your view.

We seem to have managed cooking hundreds of thousands of turkeys this last weekend without any brownouts so I would tend to agree with BC Hydro.

There have been a few issues identified with feeder stations as some of them are starting to age out. The ones that were built in the 50's and 60's are in need of equipment replacement but that's something that was needed anyway.
    Here is a list of projects that are going on.
    https://www.bchydro.com/energy-in-bc/projects.html?WT.mc_id=rd_projects