ECVI French Creek/Nanoose

bigredsnapper

Maybe I'm going blind but I couldn't find the old thread. Got out yesterday for a couple hours and managed two undersize springs at French Creek. Both were close to bottom at 200', one on hootchy and the other on a spoon.Both were released carefully without the net.Prawning is good although alot smaller than normal.Lots of debris in the water,likely washed out from the Englishman after the heavy rains.BRS

Finally got out yesterday, it was chilly but flat. Dropped the prawn traps and crab taps and went to Frenck Creek for a troll. There were small(8-10inch) coho everywhere. They were jumping all over, I thought a couple were gonna land in the boat! Put out a small pink spoon and they hammered it. We just wanted to see what they were and they were all wild coho. On the deep lines we had four hits and got two to the side of the boat and released. One was close to legal.Got one on spoon and the other on purple haze hootchy.Crabbing and prawns were great we ended up with a good feed for all of us.BRS

That sounds like a great winter day. I guess the coho that you are seeing now would be the future bluebacks that used to be fished for in April and May. Lets hope that the cohoe are making a good comeback.
Looks calm again today. I'd like to get out but this dam work gets in the way of things.

Yeah!! No kidding, this is the first time in well over a decade that I've heard "bluebacks" in the same sentence as ECVI. Praying this is a trend and positive change in ocean conditions. Let's also pray that DFO doesn't allow any further herring fisheries so there is actually something for the little buggers to eat.

Searun

I would like to know if any white sided dolphins show up in this area over the next few months. It has been my observations that the decline in ECVI coho seem to coincide with the increase in white sided dolphins. I can't prove anything but it is an interesting observation

I've lived on the Strait of Georgia my whole life and have never seen Pacific White Sided Dolphins. I'm more inclined to suspect the herring fishery, and poor summer river conditions (too hot, too little water) are to blame.

White sided are pretty common georgia straight.See them on the ferry most times i take it. See them up around Nanoose less often but still 3-4 times a year fishing. I highly doubt they are to blame though. Greg we will have to get out over xmas!

Hey Kelly, I got a bunch of holidays comin and those winter springs will be a little bigger. The crabbin is awesome but the days are so short, it gets dark and cold quick as soon as the sun goes down over Arrowsmith. We had to use the big spotlight to find the floats and take it slow back in. BRS

Got out twice this week once for a quick troll once at French creek which produced a couple small coho and a big dogfish and again yesterday with Bushy. It was Bushy's first time out for a while so I had to take it easy on him. We pounded over to Ballenas and trolled for a couple hours. There was a bit of bait but no salmon just a big red snapper which we had to let float away.Prawning is still good. Kelly, you around? Oh yeah, forgot to mention the birds in the middle of the strait, truly amazing there were thousands and different kinds all going crazy. Went for a troll thru and nothing.My sounder wouldn't read, it was too deep BRS

Hey greg i was home for a week but so busy i couldnt fish [xx(]I heard about the birds outfront. Do you think they are feeding on those shrimp/krill that they were a few years ago when we went out in the winter? The guy that told me birds out there speculated the salmon run was in great shape this year because the sea gulls were feeding on chinook haha.

Say hi to bushy for me

Happy New Year Kelly, thought I'd see you around or the boat in the water. The weather has been terrible but it looks OK for the next couple days. Are you still around? In for a troll on Monday? Let me know BRS

Happy new year. Unfortantly i had to go back to school boxing day so no fishing. Good luck and let me know how you guys make out!

Just wondering if any ones been out latley around french creek or ballanes for winters? And how is the prawning?

Thanks

Yeah Buddy, I was out in front on Monday for a couple hours. We had 3 hits and only one to the boat. He was very close to legal so we released him at the side of the boat.There was a bit of bait and all the birds are gone. Prawning is good and alot less egg bearers.Still tons of small jumpers (8-12' coho)I should have tried Kelly's favourite go-to spoon, green and white coyote, maybe next time. BRS

Kelly you werent invited cause we dont fish with women. And thanks alot bigred hopefully if the weather cooperates I will go out this weekend. Finger crossed and burning insence to posideon at this moment now so we will see.

Green/white,funky chicken coyote spoons should never see saltwater.I dont care how many fish they catch they just look stupid!

Jon Baby D i hope the salt godess is slutty and blows you and the native off the water. Loose lines [:X]

Kelly your speedo must be a little to tight right now you little girl keep to the pool and leave the ocean for the men.

Got out yesterday and trolled from Mistaken into NW bay.Showing a bit of bait but noticed the small coho are now alot bigger. Caught a couple after releasing from clip and they hit on the way up and are now over 12". They are still jumping all over the place.BRS

Back