Douglas Channel - Fishing / Crabbing etc... from Kitimat ?

hbpaints

Crew Member
Good Afternoon everyone...

Sorry if this is a duplicate post, I looked in the search and couldn't find any similar questions... My apologies if this is in the wrong spot...

My question is for anyone that has experience on the Douglas channel out of Kitimat?

I was hoping later this year, or perhaps next year, taking my 26' TollyCraft out for some fishing/Crabbing, etc...

I have a ton to learn about the area, and I'm starting now, but there is only so much you can learn from charts, and there isn;t a lot of info online about the channel (Least that I have found). I was hoping to maybe connect with some experienced guys that have been there and kinda have some knowledge of the area?

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some travel times from the dock (Say MK Marina) or distances we'd have to travel? I have over 100gal fuel capacity but also can pack extra fuel if required. (Not looking to head right out to the open water)

Basically looking for some decent general information and areas (not your sweet spots) lol so I can get my kids and wife out catching some fish...

Thanks in advance... Any and all information is welcomed...

Rob.

Hi Rob,

Fishing the Douglas Channel is an awesome experience!! I'm sure you and your family will enjoy it immensely. Heading out of MK Marina, try trolling after the Indian Reserve, then anywhere around Cleo Bay is good, go from Markland Point to Jesse Falls is good. You may wish to travel up to Bishops Bay which has the hot springs to relax in and a dock to tie up to. If you head up that way, you will want to try Fish Trap and of course Money Point. It takes us roughly 2 - 2.5 hrs to go from the Marina to Biships Bay, and 2 hours to go from the Marina to Hartley Bay (Money Point). Fuel is usually available in Hartley Bay and the folk there are super nice!! Good luck on your fishing trip!!

The Douglas is great for a family, especially if you have a few days to explore. My wife and I and 2 kids(both under 5) spend almost every weekend down the channel. KCD gave you some great spots to try, especially Money Point. It's great for springs and you can load up on coho later in the season. It's also close to Kitkiatta where the crabbing can be good. If you willing to go a little further out, our favorite moorage is Twartz Inlet. It has a narrow opening but you'll have no issue getting in and out on any tide. Just stay to the left! There is a resident dolphin in the inlet that will play around the boat and puts on a great show for the kids. Once moored, it will come up and play around the boat. Like I said, it's great for the kids. You can also get crab in Twartz and there is good bottom fishing just outside the inlet. From Twartz, you can go out to Campania Island where there are a bunch of white sand beaches on the west side of the island that you can pull your boat up to. There is also lots of places to moor and great bottom fishing to the southwest of Campania. A great way to end any trip down the Douglas is a stop at one of the hot springs. Bishop Bay is our favorite but Wewanni is the closest to town so we stop at it often on our way back. Enjoy the trip and watch the winds in the afternoon. The main channel usually blows up around 2 and keeps blowing till early evening. It dosent get too bad and your 26fter should have no problem but it's much more comfortable if your not in the main channel in the afternoon. Hope this helps! Have fun.

I have a friend that trolls the shorelines around Hartley Bay and does quite well at this time of year for Chinook. Strong tides around there!! There is also some Natural hot springs around there. I'm sure if you asked some locals you could get directions to them. My skipper took me to them years ago when I was commercial fishing but I can't remember exactly where they are

The Douglas is great for a family, especially if you have a few days to explore. My wife and I and 2 kids(both under 5) spend almost every weekend down the channel. KCD gave you some great spots to try, especially Money Point. It's great for springs and you can load up on coho later in the season. It's also close to Kitkiatta where the crabbing can be good. If you willing to go a little further out, our favorite moorage is Twartz Inlet. It has a narrow opening but you'll have no issue getting in and out on any tide. Just stay to the left! There is a resident dolphin in the inlet that will play around the boat and puts on a great show for the kids. Once moored, it will come up and play around the boat. Like I said, it's great for the kids. You can also get crab in Twartz and there is good bottom fishing just outside the inlet. From Twartz, you can go out to Campania Island where there are a bunch of white sand beaches on the west side of the island that you can pull your boat up to. There is also lots of places to moor and great bottom fishing to the southwest of Campania. A great way to end any trip down the Douglas is a stop at one of the hot springs. Bishop Bay is our favorite but Wewanni is the closest to town so we stop at it often on our way back. Enjoy the trip and watch the winds in the afternoon. The main channel usually blows up around 2 and keeps blowing till early evening. It dosent get too bad and your 26fter should have no problem but it's much more comfortable if your not in the main channel in the afternoon. Hope this helps! Have fun.
Pm sent

Enjoyed reading this one. Love it when old threads pop up. Gotta add Douglas channel to the list now.

I'm not surprised this post re-surfaced. I think with fishing regs getting stingy around Rupert, guys are looking for something different. I fished out of Kitimat a couple weeks ago for my first time. I would go back again in a heartbeat. Way less boat traffic than Rupert. Over-nighting on the boat is the way to go. Didn't see anybody else trolling springs until late morning. Felt like we had the place to ourselves.

Hello
Sorry I know this thread is old. But my wife and I are planning a trip in aug from kitimat to the Douglas channels somewhere. I have fished money point a bit in the past. Do you think it’s worth the trip in Aug ? I’m mainly after coho and bottom fish.

Thank you
Steven

There are some good YouTube videos if you search Douglas Channel and Kitimat Fishing. I've not fished it for years but the Spring Run was early May/June and into August is definitely the Coho run. I guess it depends how far you want to run. Certainly out past Hartley Bay towards Campania has some fish and little pressure and probably some Springs swimming south as well. Hot Springs as well what is there not to like other than for the afternoon inflow winds?

Hot Springs as well what is there not to like other than for the afternoon inflow winds?

Tides man, tides... We heli logged on Hawkesbury island (I think maybe Danube bay by looking on the charts?) and all the ropes for the barge had to be upgraded. Only ever saw a couple break anywhere else but it was almost a daily occurrence up there. Everything was always singing tight one way, slack would hit and then everything would relax for couple minutes. Then the ride started as everything swung around in the swirling water for a couple minutes and then got sling shot singing tight the other way. A bag of wood swung around and pinned the crew boat against a barge, boom sticks went under and ripped the leg off one tide change. Ropes were cut before the boat got flipped as the bag of wood swung away. Over 20 years working on the coast and never saw anything else like that spot, aside from the obvious, Scookumchuck, entrance to Seymour inlet (rumble rock?) Etc.

Back