Diesel Chips

KCW

I own a 1997 Ford and a few guys at work are saying I should put a chip in it for more horsepower and better fuel milage. I say why ,it's got plenty of power just the way it is, but if you up the horsepower how do you get better fuel milage. I also have a freind who works in alberta and he's telling me alot of the guys who haved chiped motors have nothing but problems after a few years.

If yo do do it get an edge system
I have added more than one to the dodge diesels at work and had good results
its more of a prgramer than a chip

tubbed

I did the Upsolute chip in my 2003 VW Jetta and holy S**t what a difference it made to the car's performance. It brought the torque up to 200 ft-pounds and the acceleration was incredible. It gave me the performance of a much larger engine but I was able to rack up 50+ MPG. Never had any problems and the Upsolute guy will put things back to normal for free.

What they do us take out your existing ECU and reprogram it and put it back. To a warranty claim, its basically undetectable (unless they remove the ECU and check the settings). The ECU programs that ship with your vehicle are meant to perform in a very wide operating range of fuels, altitude etc. They basically fine tune the timing, and air/fuel mixture. I did find that my fuel economy did increase by 10% and I kept records before and after. Never had any problems with the vehicle and drove it for several years before selling. Only thing I noticed was that if I tromped on the go-pedal that it shot black smoke out the tail pipe (which was great for tail-gaters). After a while that can cause a blockage in your EGR valve.

TenMile
<'((((><

I chipped my 1997 4.6L F150. Does get better mileage, leans out the A/F mixture. Tows alot better too. Check engine light comes on because the catalyst monitor o2 sensors(rears) aren't happy. No big deal, you can buy cheap mil eliminators if it bothers you. As for he Ford diesels, chip the 7.3L no problem, makes a huge difference. I would not chip the 6.0L, we have seen multiple head gasket failures,
same with the 6.4. In 2011 ford will release the next generation diesel engine. If the hype is true this new motor will revolutionize
the industry. Here are a few tidbits: exhaust manifolds are now located in the valley, and the intakes where the exhaust used to be, and you will now have exhaust fluid, needs to be changed regularly.

Shake N Bake

Oh and btw, for fords anyways, we can tell if has been chipped, and if the modification causes a failure, it is not covered by warranty.

Shake N Bake

Back