Dead Battery on the water.

eaglemaniac

Is there a quick charger unit one can use on the water if there battery level is not enough to start main engine? I only have one battery at this stage and I'm concerned after using riggers etc. there wont be enough juice to start my main. Thanks;) eman

Before I had an auxiliary (kicker) motor I too carried a rechargeable jump pack, I only have a 1 battery system as well and the 9.9 charging output has always been enough to keep me in good shape. All day trolling with HP downriggers, sounder, stereo with amp/sub. Power Windlass as well when river fishing. I do however keep my battery connected to a CTEK 3.5amp smart charger most of the time while on the trailer

Get a lithium battery booster, they are small and light but pack a punch.
I bought one from NAPA they have 3 sizes and bought the biggest about $250.
Also charges phones, iPads ect.

image.jpg

X2 with Canso,
look on Amazon.ca lots of deals on there right now.
they will easily start a v8 and in some cases up to 10 times on a single charge

A rechargable jump pack is about the only way to get your engine going, if the battery is drained and there is no way to hook up a pull start. Those lithium ones look ideal. Easy to store too.

Thanks everyone, those are some great ideas and options. I've given some thought to setting up a dual battery system with a switching system. Just wondering with all the new electronic options out there, what was available. It would make sense to have a portable quick charge system for emergencies when your further afield. Thanks again all.;) eman

I carry my Honda 2 kW generator with me in my boat, it isn't intended for marine use, and can pose a significant carbon monoxide risk, but in the event of a dead battery, you can use it to charge your battery quickly, just make sure to position it so that the wind carries the exhaust away from the boat. Obviously don't take a nap or go inside an enclosed space while its running.

I've never had to use it, but it gives me piece of mind.

btw, if you are running an electric start kicker, you'll be fine, it will charge your batteries. If they are ever too low to start your main, just let the kicker run a bit longer

Last edited:
I just picked up one of those lithium ones canso posted. Hopefully I never go dead but it's nice to have a compact rescue idea on hand :)

I have a 2nd battery that only my kicker and downriggers are wired to. If either battery gets run down I have set of jumper cables. I can and have jumped other boats with these cables.

Back