Canned Salmon.. any Great Variations out there??

Discussion in 'Recipes, Storage and Preparation of Seafood' started by Islandgirl, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Islandgirl

Islandgirl Well-Known Member

So I have done the canned salmon and the smoked canned salmon but now I would like to vary it a bit...

Anyone have any great sucess with spices etc??

I am thinking of adding curry powder to the jars???

[​IMG]

2. Dogbreath

Dogbreath Well-Known Member

A tablespoon of Brandy to each jar adds a unique richness to the dish.

No need to use the expensive brands.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [​IMG]

3. Sitkaspruce

Sitkaspruce Well-Known Member

A clove of garlic or a teaspoon of tomatoe paste adds some different flavour to the fish.

Cheers

SS

[​IMG]

4. Islandgirl

I finally got around to opening a jar with the Brandy..
    YUM.. very good!
    I did not taste the brandy but it was the BEST canned salmon I have ever made..
    thank you

[​IMG]

5. Islandgirl

So I am going to answer my own post..LOL
    I added sharwoods curry powder to a coule of jars.. simply AMAZING!
    I did a variety of jars with different additions for christmas..so will post back on those too.:D

[​IMG]

6. clearwaterB

clearwaterB Member

I like to put about a half a cup of Pace (or your favorite brand) medium salsa into my pint jars. In a few of them I will add a half a jalapeno for a little extra kick.

Another good one is to add some dijon mustard in with my water 4 tablespoons does very well.

7. Island Fish Lifter

Island Fish Lifter Well-Known Member

One of the things I do to avoid the dreaded dryness of home canned salmon is to add a piece of salmon belly to each jar.

[​IMG]
    Fill the dam tub!

8. drhook

drhook Active Member

What 'islandgirl' said above, adding curry powder to the can is really super!

Also try adding a piece of smoked salmon to the can. The smoked salmon flavor permeates through all the meat.

9. Dogbreath

Dogbreath Well-Known Member

A few drops of this is all you need.

[​IMG]

10. eaglemaniac

eaglemaniac Well-Known Member

Ok, I'll bite on this. If you plan to smoke salmon for the can, then just use a light smoke, like one pan or a few pucks, whatever. Then add 1 Tbsp. of Grand Marnier to each jar before sealing. I`m sure you`ll like it.;) eman

11. AlK

AlK Well-Known Member

Dogbreath,

I just bought some of the Liquid smoke and want to add to my canned salmon. I am using the small jars (250 ml). So how much is a "few drops"?

Thanks

12. spring fever

spring fever Well-Known Member

We ain't makin gun barrels here!! 2 drops -more if you like it very smokey but be sure to add only a very little amount-it is incredibly strong, Write down on the box how much you used for reference next time. Much better product than light smoking and then canning. Dogbreath may give you a different answer but saw you were writing at 3:30 am-figured you had to have a burr under your saddle and wanted to do some.

13. AlK

AlK Well-Known Member

spring fever,
    Thanks, for the quick response. You may be right, I usually sleep right through. I have a bunch that needs to be done. At least now I know where to start.