Canned Salmon.. any Great Variations out there??

Islandgirl

So I have done the canned salmon and the smoked canned salmon but now I would like to vary it a bit...

Anyone have any great sucess with spices etc??

I am thinking of adding curry powder to the jars???

62802394477903127812153.jpg

A tablespoon of Brandy to each jar adds a unique richness to the dish.

No need to use the expensive brands.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

A clove of garlic or a teaspoon of tomatoe paste adds some different flavour to the fish.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

I finally got around to opening a jar with the Brandy..
YUM.. very good!
I did not taste the brandy but it was the BEST canned salmon I have ever made..
thank you

So I am going to answer my own post..LOL
I added sharwoods curry powder to a coule of jars.. simply AMAZING!
I did a variety of jars with different additions for christmas..so will post back on those too.:D

I like to put about a half a cup of Pace (or your favorite brand) medium salsa into my pint jars. In a few of them I will add a half a jalapeno for a little extra kick.

Another good one is to add some dijon mustard in with my water 4 tablespoons does very well.

One of the things I do to avoid the dreaded dryness of home canned salmon is to add a piece of salmon belly to each jar.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

What 'islandgirl' said above, adding curry powder to the can is really super!

Also try adding a piece of smoked salmon to the can. The smoked salmon flavor permeates through all the meat.

Ok, I'll bite on this. If you plan to smoke salmon for the can, then just use a light smoke, like one pan or a few pucks, whatever. Then add 1 Tbsp. of Grand Marnier to each jar before sealing. I`m sure you`ll like it.;) eman

Dogbreath,

I just bought some of the Liquid smoke and want to add to my canned salmon. I am using the small jars (250 ml). So how much is a "few drops"?

Thanks

We ain't makin gun barrels here!! 2 drops -more if you like it very smokey but be sure to add only a very little amount-it is incredibly strong, Write down on the box how much you used for reference next time. Much better product than light smoking and then canning. Dogbreath may give you a different answer but saw you were writing at 3:30 am-figured you had to have a burr under your saddle and wanted to do some.

spring fever,
Thanks, for the quick response. You may be right, I usually sleep right through. I have a bunch that needs to be done. At least now I know where to start.

Back