campion

JDR

thinking of buying a campion542 any pro's and con's on this boat, not sure whether a 115 yam or a 150 shoud be on the boat. Have a 17 k&c may be selling if I go bigger. thanks

Check with SeaWolf, I believe he has the same setup with a Yami 115 and it works great.....

Striper Sniper

seaswirlstiper.jpg

I have a 542 with a Merc Verado 135 and an 8 hp Merc kicker. This will be the 5th season in the water.
This has been an excellent boat for us, it handles like a bigger boat and trailers like a dream.
Very easy to load and unload by myself - although I will be taking extra launch precautions after reading all the recent threads on launch mishaps.
The 135 is more than adequate power, and obviously in between the 115 and 150 you are looking at. Seems to me that 115 would likely be enough.
We have no regrets, this is an excellent boat.

Sure hope it's a good boat because I just bought a new one (2010) e/w a 150 Yam and T8 kicker. IMO it's not worth saving a couple $$ by going with a 115. It's rated for a 150 so that's what I got but go with what you like best.

I looked at a lot of boats before settling on this one. It's pretty roomy for a 19'er and should do the Missus and I just fine.

Good luck on your search.

I have a 1999 542, bought 2 years ago in Seattle.

I'd call it perfect fishing boat for Sooke and protected waters. Small enough to easily handle solo, big enough for 3 fishermen. I've only slept in the cuddy solo, would be pretty crowded for 2 or 3. Great lake boat too, can water ski and all that.

A problem I have is that I increasingly want to fish offshore out of Renfrew. This boat is just marginally able to handle that, on good days only. We've done it 4 times so far, had to turn back one day half way out...which sucked. So, I love this boat, but do have some 2 footitis.

I have 115 merc 2 stroke on it, plenty of power I'd say. I also have 8hp kicker.

Something I've found a bit marginal...when back trolling for halibut, the motor well is very low in the water, and the waves roll up the stern into the boot for the steering cables. Over the course of a couple of hours, with a non-automatic pump, a LOT of water in the bilge, like scary lots. Mechanic told me the seal between upper and lower units of the boat meets at the motor well and is a weak point...just some caulking between the ocean and your hull (same problem in trophys). He recommended getting rid of the cheap plastic cover there and glassing over it. I am in the process of adding an aluminum plate that will raise the motor well a few inches and give better sealing.

So...I think weight on the stern is an issue I'd consider in how big a motor to add.

But other than that, highly recommend this boat. I was thinking of upgrading, but have decided to keep mine for a few more years.

Though, sad to say, they are even cheaper in US now than when I bought mine...I saw one 2001 for $8000 in Florida. Keep an eye on Seattle craiglist for good deals!

http://www.boattrader.com/find/brow.../ViewType-default/SortBy-year.desc/PerPage-25

PM me if you want any more info.

I hate where Campion makes you put your downrigger on the 542. But as a family utility boat you can't go wrong till the wife tells you to sell it.. Not a bad machine. But as a fishing machine I would look at others or other models.

Nice boat though.. I had a chance 2 times to fish out of one. It was a OK boat. But I am a fisherman and I want a real machine.

Not that mine is yet, but she is on her way.

I have the first year 2005 of the newer self bailing model. The 115HP Yamaha is just fine and I have a 6HP Yamaha kicker, which is the same motor as the 8HP but limits at 500 less rpm.

When I bought it I wanted a Yamaha and the choices were 115 or 150, and they said I would need Hydraulic Steering for the 150. That made it a $5000 Upgrade, the 8 HT would have added $1000. So I guess you got to ask yourself if it is worth the 20 percent premium. The 115 maxes out at 38-40 MPH depending on the Prop. I cruise 25-30. Incidently Striper Sniper's has a F150 on a larger 21 Ft Striper burns double the gas, but his boat is bigger and heavier. I'm not sure what the fuel consumption woould be on a 542, certainly less, but a consideration. I've had the pleasure of driving the Striper with a F150 and NFB steering and have determined that I could have done without the Hydrualic had I have gone bigger. The only time you may have an issue with the 115 is if you put 4 people and a weeks worth of groceries, ice, beer, etc. It will take time to plane. Fishing with 2-3 people it is fine.

There are some other options Etec and Suzuki that are around 135 to 140 HP I beleive. Have you priced those out?

There is not risk of getting wet in the 542, at 6'3" I can barely get my hands wet leaning over the side. Two can squeeze up front, but they better be related, or married.

Good luck, ask if you have any other questions

I have a 1999 542 with 135 merc and 9.9 4 stroke kicker.

Perfect fishing boat for the inside strait.
I can easily handle it solo, and big enough for 3 fishermen. I've had 4 adults for a days fishing and although it was OK, 3 works way better.
There is space up front for a porta potti and plenty of storage.
Great for water skiing and all that.

"quote from juandesooka"
"Something I've found a bit marginal...when back trolling for halibut, the motor well is very low in the water, and the waves roll up the stern into the boot for the steering cables. Over the course of a couple of hours, with a non-automatic pump, a LOT of water in the bilge, like scary lots. Mechanic told me the seal between upper and lower units of the boat meets at the motor well and is a weak point...just some caulking between the ocean and your hull (same problem in trophys). He recommended getting rid of the cheap plastic cover there and glassing over it. I am in the process of adding an aluminum plate that will raise the motor well a few inches and give better sealing."

Talked to a Campion rep at a show about this one time and he told me bottom edge was glassed and the plastic trim was just decor.

One draw back of older units they have no built in well for putting fish in so I always pack a cooler up front and briing out when we catch something.

Have yet to suffer 2 footitis with this boat as it fits in the garage and is easy to look after.

i have a 06 with a opti 115 and a 9.9 merc bf.
i absolutely love it! everyone who has been on my boat has commented on how much room there is especially for fishing. its a great all purpose boat.
i get about 40 mph fully loaded.
cruise around 25-30.
the one thing that i don't like about the boat is having to put the bow fenders on,its not a walk around so i have to hang on to the canopy frame or stand on the in dash cup holder to reach the cleat.

another thing,the 115 is a bit small because of the extra weight ive added to the boat, kicker,fishing gear, electronics, etc.

i have fished with 4 people and didnt have any probs with performance,bit slow on plane but still got 30 mph with ease.
even though im a bit under powered, i still like the 115, it runs great!
i guess if your going to have the boat loaded with 3 or 4 people all the time then id spring for the 150.
if your considering a 115 at least it should be dfi.

the 542 has enough room to sleep in comfortably if you have the sleeper seat. the canopy zips up nice and there is great nite lights in the cuddy and cabin to relax for the evening.

the wife likes the comfort and the good looks of the boat.
besides,im told ;) size doesnt matter

Hey Tmit, I have a bumpers attached to both rails beside the driver and passenger seats. I just flip them up and they ride between the rail and windows no problem, just flip them out at the dock, and no need to store them inside. Ride down the highway like that too. Just get a big enough bumper and it sits there fine.

They redesigned the boat in 2005 so if you're looking at used ones keep that in mind.

I've looked at lots of boats over the last few months and passed on many because they were under powered. I know you can make do with less hp but I've never heard anybody say they wished they'd bought a smaller motor. A few thousand $$ added to the cost of a new boat will be returned when you go to sell down the road. Just my opinion, it's your money.

I bought a 2000--542 out of Seattle's craigslist last Dec. It has a 115 Suzuki 2-stroke/8 yam 4-stroke. I'v only had it out a couple of times, it seems to have plenty of power, does over 40 mph with 3 fat slobs in it. Cruises nice at 25-28mph. Lots more room than my 17.5 Double Eagle, which are great boats, but the seats where too low. I was getting tired of puling my legs out of my arse. Don't have that problem now, the stand up top is nice too. Cuddy;s great for storing crap. Boat works for me so far, easy to tow, and launch. Like has been said thou it's not really an off-shore rig. I haven't tried anchoring yet but I think it will be awesome. With the 2- stroke main motor the rig is still fairly light compared to a 4- stroke main motor. Good-Luck JDR hope it all works out well for you.

... Are fishermen all liars?
Or do only liars fish?

Hi JDR

Here's a 542 for sale in Seattle:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1666687023.html

Unless the motor is newer than the boat, it has very low hours, or nice gizmos, that price seems a bit high for a '98 (at least in USA). Oddly enough, that's the same place I bought my boat 2 years ago.

Good luck.

J

Question for you 542 owners - do you have trim tabs installed? I noticed that the one above on craigs does.

No trim tabs on mine-- seems fine without them

Or do only liars fish?

No trim tabs on mine-- seems fine without them

Or do only liars fish?

Even if I had a 18 ft boat id be putting trim tabs on just for the above said reason, Just ask jimbob I just installed a set for his glasply and now he wonders why he never had them before and how much they make a difference in the ride and handling especially in a bit of chop.
Very simple to do.

wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Even if I had a 18 ft boat id be putting trim tabs on just for the above said reason, Just ask jimbob I just installed a set for his glasply and now he wonders why he never had them before and how much they make a difference in the ride and handling especially in a bit of chop.
Very simple to do.

wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Back