Buying a U.S. Boat and trailer in Canada

spring fever

Is it possible?? I have a chance to buy a US registered boat and trailer which has been used by a US citizen in this country for many years. I realize it somehow needs to be imported and then registered here. Can it be done without taking the boat back to the states and coming back from the border. What duties if any are due on an aluminium boat. My instinct is to duck and run but I am curious. Any thoughts??

I'm not sure on the boat but the trailer will be classified as a vehicle and have to go through RIV.

I purchased a motorhome a few years back that was registered in Ohio, rig was in Port Hardy. I had to get title and proof of sale, send/take to RIV, pay your taxes. Then take trailer to Canadian Tire for inspection, if you pass you get your registration and you are good to go. Was quite a simple process really as long as the seller has all the paperwork that is needed.

I'm only assuming you would be able to do the same with the boat.

I used A&A Custom brokers for all info needed for the RV, they were great. Paid a few bucks but it was done right and I have no hassles, maybe worth a call or email.

https://aacb.com

Good luck

I'm not sure on the boat but the trailer will be classified as a vehicle and have to go through RIV.

I purchased a motorhome a few years back that was registered in Ohio, rig was in Port Hardy. I had to get title and proof of sale, send/take to RIV, pay your taxes. Then take trailer to Canadian Tire for inspection, if you pass you get your registration and you are good to go. Was quite a simple process really as long as the seller has all the paperwork that is needed.

I'm only assuming you would be able to do the same with the boat.

I used A&A Custom brokers for all info needed for the RV, they were great. Paid a few bucks but it was done right and I have no hassles, maybe worth a call or email.

https://aacb.com

Good luck
Thanks Wade-a little slow this morning--RIV??

You could also give Canada Customs a call and ask them. Might be able to avoid brokerage fees. If it's a US manufactured boat, there shouldn't be any duties. When I brought my boat up from Oregon, all I paid at the border was GST and PST on the boat and GST on the trailer. PST on the trailer was paid after I had the RIV inspection done at CT and registered it with ICBC.

Boat is easy just pay the appropriate taxes and register it in your name

The trailer is trickier if the seller doesn’t have all the proper paperwork it’s near impossible. You will also need to be inspected ( can be done at Can tire )

Boat is easy just pay the appropriate taxes and register it in your name

The trailer is trickier if the seller doesn’t have all the proper paperwork it’s near impossible. You will also need to be inspected ( can be done at Can tire )
What do you think is proper paper work-he has a plate and registration papers-I'm not sure on original bill of sale-what else?

Key item for the trailer is that it has a VIN number (usually on the manufactures plate). Once its across (or in your case already here), bring it to a Canadian Tire and they will give it the "vehicle" inspection and issue the appropriate paperwork. Takes about 20 minutes.

Very easy to import a boat, I've done it twice with no issues. Just make sure you have your paperwork ready. Since the boat is already here you might be able to do this over the phone. When I brought my last boat across via water, I just had to call in at my closest point of entry and they took my payment over the phone.

This is a good guide: http://boating.ncf.ca/buy-usa.html

Great intel here SF. The only reason I used the brokers was to avoid any headaches as they do the paperwork right, pay your taxes and you are good to go instead of any possible hold ups.

I figured after spending what I did on the RV and also the three boats I’ve imported, spending another couple hundred to make sure all was done right was worth it.

I would becareful with this process... Do your due diligence... since there are certain policies and procedures that are completely different from buying and importing a US boat/trailer into Canada vs importing and buying a US RV or car for that matter..

I did this a few years ago and it was very straight forward but I also did my research and due diligence and called both Canada and US customs and researched the rules/policies etc...

If I read your post correctly,,, you are considering buying a boat and trailer with US title and registration that is currently residing in Canada? Correct? If this is the case, if I recall correctly in my research(don't quote me on this since it was a few years ago), You can NOT legally buy a US Boat and trailer while it is on Canadian Soil. It must first be imported which means it has to be taken back to the US and then declared at the Canadian border. This is to ensure proper paperwork and registration is complete since there are documents which you do not have acccess to which are given to you by Canada Customs. Most importantly for the government, this rule is most likely put into place to ensure they get their TAXES due.

There are specific forms which Canada customs gives you for your boat and trailer in order for you to get ICBC insurance for the trailer and for you to get your boat number(BC*******) through transport Canada.

If your trailer is a certain age then you don't need a safety inspection through Canadian tire. My VIN on the trailer like just about every other boat trailer, was a sticker but through the years faded. Some trailer manufacturers place the VIN in a secondary location usually inside the tube or coupler at the front of the trailer. They called it a hidden VIN. While I made sure my hidden VIN was available for review, they did not check the VIN of the trailer. Just the VIN on the boat. Not saying they will not check in your case but this is what happened to me. Make sure you have separate documentation on purchase price for boat, trailer and outboard motor(if you have one) and document everything that it comes with to make sure they know it came with the sale and you didn't buy it separately.

You will be charged HST for the full value in Canadian dollars. There are a few other small charges that weren't significant but I cant remember at this time.

Make sure the owner has the clear title which means he holds the title in his hands for both boat and trailer. If he doesn't have the title it may mean there is an outstanding loan(lien) registered against it which means the bank is holding the title.

If the owner is reasonable and willing to take it across to the US border for you and seems like an honest person and it's a good deal and everything checks out... don't be afraid to move forward... But if he doesn't want to go through with bringing it to the border for you or isn't cooperative I'd move on.

Good luck to you.

I bought my Trophy in the states 3 years ago, when I got to the border they didn't even come out and look at it. I paid the tax and went on my way. I didn't have to get the trailer inspection either. No problem, I would call border services they will help with your questions

I bought mine down in Portland no big deal at all but it was through a dealership and had the paperwork laid out for me. Paid the taxes and got the trailer inspected at Canadian tire in the time frame allowed just like others have already mentioned.

Funny story though I had mine delivered to the boarder crossing Peace arch crossing if I remember right. Anyways the American side let me go right through no issues ( 20 minute turn around from pick up to coming back in ). The Canadian side was waiting for me to return. They pulling over and had a handler and sniffer dog ready. So I was having a smoke with a security officer watching the dog go through the boat. When they were satisfied and finished the guy passed his dog down to another boarder guard then proceeded to get out himself. Well he slipped and timeout of the boat flat on the ground I turned so he didn’t see me chuckling only to see the guard be some almost swallow his cigarette as he was laughing so hard.

Realize if bought in the states it is not a problem but these are stored here and I want to get them here-that is the problem. Will try transport Canada tomorrow

Realize if bought in the states it is not a problem but these are stored here and I want to get them here-that is the problem. Will try transport Canada tomorrow

Don't think it's transport Canada you need to contact. It's the Canada border services guys. Transport Canada is only involved after the importation with regards to getting the boat BC number.

Unfortunately if the sellers are unwilling to bring it back into the US you are out of luck. While some people have been fortunate to have the canada customs guys not even go out and look, the customs guys are supposed to check the Vin of both trailer and boat to ensure they match and to ensure that there aren't any major customizations that are in contravention of any provincial or federal rules. Either way, the boat needs to be present when you import it. You can't import a boat if it's already in the country. Even if you are willing to pay the taxes, Canada customs needs it at the border because if there are any issues with improper paperwork or if the boat and trailer does not meet provincial and federal regulations they can refuse entry of the boat and therefore not allow the importation.

Don't think it's transport Canada you need to contact. It's the Canada border services guys. Transport Canada is only involved after the importation with regards to getting the boat BC number.

Unfortunately if the sellers are unwilling to bring it back into the US you are out of luck. While some people have been fortunate to have the canada customs guys not even go out and look, the customs guys are supposed to check the Vin of both trailer and boat to ensure they match and to ensure that there aren't any major customizations that are in contravention of any provincial or federal rules. Either way, the boat needs to be present when you import it. You can't import a boat if it's already in the country. Even if you are willing to pay the taxes, Canada customs needs it at the border because if there are any issues with improper paperwork or if the boat and trailer does not meet provincial and federal regulations they can refuse entry of the boat and therefore not allow the importation.

I suspect you are correct-hence why I am being so careful. some more calls to make tomorrow. Thanks

Back