BRP discontinues E-TEC and E-TEC G2s

when i acquired my e-tec a few years ago it was explained to me that the technology was under patent but was set to expire and that other manufacturers would be jumping on the tech when that happened. never investigated this claim and it had no influence on my choice (love the e-tec) but perhaps this is a factor? maybe the agreement with merc and the fact that merc has the opti brand....maybe we will see a merc-tec? opti-tec? opt-e?

This is what I am hoping for. Silly to let the etec technology die.

It is my opinion that if one removed branding loyalty, and stigma over the older 2 strokes, and just focused on a pound for pound comparison, the current 2 stroke tech would
win out all day long.

Last edited:
That is sad news. I was always happy to look at the Etecs on the show floor. They really nailed the aesthetic part of an outboard and I loved the way they sounded and ran. I still want one for my pod-dream-project, however.

Looked it up:
"2003 Bombardier launches Evinrude E-TEC® technology in 40 – 90 HP"

"February 2004, the company launched the Evinrude E-TEC technology at the Miami Boat Show, including the in-line, 2-cylinder 40, 50 and 60 hp engines, and the in-line, 3-cylinder 75 and 90 hp engines."

I love my E-Tec, I've been looking for a 250 or 300. If they're still going to order support I would have no problem buying a used motor. I'd love to get my hands on some dealer software now.

Definitely sad when stuff like this happens. But looking at their future I personally didn’t see them lasting all that much longer. This being before I heard the news. But I did not realize they had other issues... The big reason they had an edge is direct injection with stratified technology. As soon as the Four stroke market starts using that technology. I personally thought that would be the end of the Etec. Leaving them to either join the 4 stroke market, go electric, or just stop production.

Recreational stuff is always the last to get the technology as the emissions are less strict. I am an automotive technician apprentice but have been wrenching for the last 10 years in small engine and heavy duty as well. I have found it interesting watching the technology change. Seeing what changes have been implemented due to emission restrictions and studying it in school. So it was definitely nice to see when BRP brought that technology to the competition early on in the game. With pretty much all production vehicles coming with direct injection now and emissions getting tighter every year. I don’t think it will be to much longer until we see that technology in the 4 stoke outboard market.

... I don’t think it will be to much longer until we see that technology in the 4 stoke outboard market.

The Yamaha F425 has direct injection and has been on the market for over a year now, but obviously at $60,000CDN for the motor it is a niche product. I agree with you that I think the direct injection technology will be coming to more models in the near-ish future.

It's too bad that BRP is pulling the ETEC line. There is nothing like the sound of twin V6 two-strokes behind you. I used to run a crew boat with twin Evinrude Fitch 225s (precursor to ETEC)....the sound was absolutely amazing!

BRP is not giving up the E-Tec technology they will still be producing it in their snowmobile line ups they are dropping their outboard production.

i wonder which brand the coast guard will switch to? hopefully for bamfield and port alberni it will be zuk.

Back