Brisket

Sorry I was up in PG chasing moose around :mad:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/close_to_katzs_home_made_pastrami.html

So here's the recipe I use. You'll read that the first step is brining the brisket like corned beef. I've done this at home but have also had it pre-done from Beefway. Both are fine but if you get it from the butcher make sure you change out the water when desalinating at least twice, otherwise it'll turn out too salty. For the rub I double the recipe for a whole brisket (10-12 pounds). I've tripled it amd found it was a little on the heavy side. The last thing I've learned is that the recipe calls for smoking up to 150 then steaming the rest of the way, I like to bring it up to 190. I've sort of learned that the steaming process can take forever, I've found the higher you take it in the smoking process the quicker it comes to temp when steaming. And last make sure you steam all the way to 203. Cut it thick, steam some light rye bread and ENJOY! I make this every year for Super Bowl.
This is my first time doing this. Mine stalled at 176F, so I took it out last night and wrapped it and put it back in the fridge. I’m not set up for steaming something this large, but could get it set up.
Should I get set up for steaming or can I just bomb it in the oven and bring it up to 203F (would obviously be easier)?
If I steam it, is it placed on a rack unwrapped completely, or do you just open the top of it?
Thx!

I put it on a rack on top of some foil balls (to space it up higher) in a large Turkey roaster. This process can take forever if you don't seal the steam in well. I tried tenting it with foil but it doesn't get hot enough. Honestly I think just slowly warming it in an oven would work just fine. Put some heated water in a enclosed roaster right on the bottom of your oven set at 250 or something and I think it'd work. I knew a guy that sold brisket and that how he told people to heat it (wrapped in foil with a little bit of liquid in a 250 degree oven for a couple hours)
IT MUST REACH 203 TO GO REALLY TENDER. Good luck!

I put it on a rack on top of some foil balls (to space it up higher) in a large Turkey roaster. This process can take forever if you don't seal the steam in well. I tried tenting it with foil but it doesn't get hot enough. Honestly I think just slowly warming it in an oven would work just fine. Put some heated water in a enclosed roaster right on the bottom of your oven set at 250 or something and I think it'd work. I knew a guy that sold brisket and that how he told people to heat it (wrapped in foil with a little bit of liquid in a 250 degree oven for a couple hours)
Thx fella!!!

How much doe you pay for brisket on the mainland? I bought some the other day for $7.45/lb. Thought that was pretty reasonable.

Foil Balls ! The hack of the century in our opinion #1 !! Smoked a 9.5lbs of Brisket( 2 pieces whacked for corned beef or pastrami) off on Monday until jiggly 201' left the probe in wrapped in parchment n foil put in a foil lasagna tray on balls ( with some water) to be reheated on Wednesday ( for our 20th Anniversary Reunion) , 2.5 hrs brought back up to 180' then served a real crowd pleaser , along with 4 types of deep fried chicken wings and every one brought a salad. Brisket served on Brioche with Dem Bones BBQ sauce (Thanks O P) , topped off with a gluten free carrot cake. Big Shout Out to the Errington Fire dept. and B.C . Ambulance service for saving our good friend ..... stung on the back of the tongue by a wasp rushed to emergency in Nanaimo from Englishman's20220807_134319.jpg20220807_135816.jpg20220807_144446.jpg20220808_164604.jpg20220808_154122.jpg20220808_200751.jpg River Falls campsite. Best Regards (sliced pics to follow)

Attachments

• brisket081022.jpg
    brisket081022.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Foil Balls ! The hack of the century in our opinion #1 !! Smoked a 9.5lbs of Brisket( 2 pieces whacked for corned beef or pastrami) off on Monday until jiggly 201' left the probe in wrapped in parchment n foil put in a foil lasagna tray on balls ( with some water) to be reheated on Wednesday ( for our 20th Anniversary Reunion) , 2.5 hrs brought back up to 180' then served a real crowd pleaser , along with 4 types of deep fried chicken wings and every one brought a salad. Brisket served on Brioche with Dem Bones BBQ sauce (Thanks O P) , topped off with a gluten free carrot cake. Big Shout Out to the Errington Fire dept. and B.C . Ambulance service for saving our good friend ..... stung on the back of the tongue by a wasp rushed to emergency in Nanaimo from Englishman'sView attachment 83479View attachment 83481View attachment 83482View attachment 83483View attachment 83484View attachment 83485 River Falls campsite. Best Regards (sliced pics to follow)
Looks great. How many slices of gluten free carrot cake does it take to make a balanced brisket and deep fried wing meal?

Looks great. How many slices of gluten free carrot cake does it take to make a balanced brisket and deep fried wing meal?
Ha !Thankyou, (Almond Flour) 9x13 iced with cream cheese, icing sugar, lemon juice , sprinkled with home roasted candied walnuts. (un iced and the leftovers served 12 people and sent Mom home with some) The wings were also dredged in Gluten free flour. Washed down with the wifes rhubarb wine.

Attachments

• IMG-20220813-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220813-WA0000.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-20220813-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220813-WA0001.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 7
Back