Braid Line Care

Just wondering if anyone has any information with regards to the care of the new braid lines? I fish a couple of times a year in the salt water and mainly freshwater due to living in the Interior, and have saltwater specific gear. I'm new to using the braid lines and wonder just how best to clean the saltwater from them before storing until the next year. Does it matter to clean the salt from them or will it not deteriorate the braid line at all? Of course they would be fully dried before storing in a cool dark place as I have done with mono. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

ive had my braid on my riggers now for almost ten years. i wash down my riggers quickly with a hose after each outing. that’s about it

Seconded.
Each season I remove about 5 - 10 feet and retire every thing. No issues so far.

Braided polyethylene line such as Spectra is more durable than any other fishing line. It doesn't need any special care other than what has been mentioned already. The only issue is that the color fades out over time but that has no impact on durability or the utility of the line unless you believe the increased visibility might scare fish off.

I use it for two years, cutting a bit off the end each year as suggested above, then reverse it by dumping one downrigger into a bucket, then tying another downrigger to respool and hold the brake lever back with a bungee cord, and repeat for the third, then flip the bucket upside down and respool the last. the theory is I really don't use the back end of the spool much, and it doubles the life of the braid.

Thank you for all the information. I forgot about the braid for my downrigger, but was more worried about the braid on the fishing reels. How would you clean that line, or does it matter? I thought about pulling off a bunch and soaking it in a bath tub then hanging it to dry to then put back on.

Agree, it's one of the few "no maintenance necessary" items. No need to wash, rinse or do anything. Aside from trimming away the end from nicks and abrasions, you can literally use it for 10 years straight without any degradation, other than color fade. If that bugs you, then unwind the spool when it's faded, and reverse-load it back on the reel. . .presto, new line. Or at least that's been my experience with power pro's spectra braid.

fb

Just to add I use the 200 power pro and it's very strong. I never ever changed my pulley. I change it out every few years. It's ridiculously strong. The only thing I see with some is cutting the line if your trim tabs interfere. It's isn't the pulley.

Back