boat survey results

nedarb2

i just got my boat surveyed today to get insurance for this upcoming hali derby on the weekend.
Surveyor came back with the results and verbally told us (get actual paper work back tomorrow)
1. We NEED a radar deflector. ???? im not commercial, and thought i read somewhere you only need a radar delfector if commercial or running in fog/dark, etc.

2. Need a carbon monoxide detector. I have twin outboards on a pod, walk around cabin boat. Apparently these are both new regulations we need to adhere too. I've never heard of this being brought up before anywhere. Not arguing its not a good idea, dont get me wrong (on both accounts).

Can anybody chime in on this? Thanks
nedarb

Last edited by a moderator:
Both are cheap insurance policies.

Carbon monoxide is the detector you want, and get a marine one. Its a gas thats heavier than air so it tends to settle in cuddy or enclosed areas. By the time you feel it, youre dead... I believe these are mandatory.

Radar reflector increases the chance for other boats to see you. Fiberglass absorbs radar so its much more difficult to see a fg boat unless you are very close. Dont think they are mandatory however.

Both are cheap insurance policies.

Carbon monoxide is the detector you want, and get a marine one.

Radar reflector increases the chance for other boats to see you. Fiberglass absorbs radar so its much more difficult to see a fg boat unless you are very close.

I absolutely agree with getting these on the boat and will do so, no questions they are there for safety, and most importantly my safety. I was just wondering about the actual legality of needing these on board currently, and according to the surveyor the change in regulations requiring them (or soon to??). It just caught me off guard that he said these things as I have never heard of them being required before (except for the radar detector in certain situations).
and sorry yes i did mean carbon monoxide.

Curious if these are Transport Canada regulations of specific policy requirements of the insurance carrier? I haven't heard boo of new requirments coming from TC (but that doesn't mean much). Both are great ideas to have regardless but...

I'd like to see him point to the regulation that demands it? I've never seen them as required equipment. I had Boris Glazar on my boat, same rig as yours, two outboards and a berth, and it never came up.

There is actually almost no regulation on what your boat is supposed to have! A lot of people have a lot of ideas, but when it comes time for the paper to materialize, it never does, IF the rig is under I belive 21 feet, it has to have a capacity plate, you need your lights, regular safetey gear, and as far as everything else is concearned, it can be made out of paper mache.

Don't think it is a TC regulation. Sounds more like a policy requirement.

beemer

Funny thing about the radar reflector. At the Tradex show this past weekend, I asked the Vancouver marine police about the reflectors and was told you only need them if you are going 1km off shore.

Great link:

Skipping all the way to the end of the Radar Reflector report out of the UK was the Recommendations:

Based on the results of this report it is recommended that yachtsmen always
fit a radar reflector that offers the largest RCS practicable for their vessel.
· The RCS of the radar reflector should have a minimum consistent RCS of 2m
· The Sea-Me is the recommended product if power is available
· If power is not available then the passive Large Tri-Lens reflector is
recommended
· The 4” tube reflector is not considered suitable due to its poor performance. It
is also recommended that the 2” tube reflector is not suitable since the
performance of this target will be even lower.
· It is recommended that poorly performing radar reflectors are not fitted as it
is possible that the user could be lulled into a false sense of security believing
that their chances of detection has been enhanced.

PS: I have been using one of those 4" tube reflectors which I will now remove and junk.

There are so many restrictions now in the insurance game. Best to ask lots of questions about different possible scenarios to get an answer before you have to put in a claim. I only found out in casual conversation with my agent that I'm not covered for theft while the boat is on the trailer if it isn't securely locked. They have the right to make up their own rules for their policies...additional safety equipment is one of them.

Guess it is time to dump the tube reflectors. Interesting report 10 mile. Thanks for sharing that. The radar reflector to my recollection is only a commercial operation requirement, and per Rule 40 of the collision regulations is only "recommended" if your read between the lines if "practicable". You don't require one if operating under favorable conditions.

1 Rule 40 Collision Regulations, Canada Shipping Act 2001 requires a vessel that is less than 20 metres in length or is constructed primarily of non-metallic materials to be equipped with a radar reflector if practicable, unless (i) it operates in limited traffic conditions, daylight, and favourable environmental conditions and where compliance is not essential for the safety of the vessel, or (ii) the small size of the vessel or its operation away from radar navigation makes compliance impracticable. For specific requirements, the Collision Regulations should be consulted.

Back