Boat licensing

JAC

Hi There

I bought a used boat and it already has a license number on the hull should I re license it. What happens if I just leave it as is? Also if I cross the border will they check the name license number? I know I have to pay pst if I change the license/

thanks

If you don't change ownership, you technically don't own it. What do you think will happen if they check you when you cross the border and the boat is not in your name or if you file an insurance claim??

If you read on the licensing page boat licensing does not prove ownership of the boat

Strange that you say that. I had to prove ownership before Services Canada would issue me the new BC licence.

As long as you have a bill of sale with both the previously registered seller and your name, signature, address, phone # you can prove ownership but as far as the RCMP and SAR are concerned until you licence it with a new # no one knows you own it. If you're stopped you can be charged up to $250 for failing to licence it if the licence on file doesn't match your name. and that's only if you can prove it's your boat. Maybe they'd have the potential to seize it if you can't prove you own it? I don't know for sure. I was dumb enough to forget a bill of sale when I got my boat and am trying to get the previous owner to sign one and mail it back to me. Amazing how things like that slow down once the cheque has been cashed!

This is also just how I read the regs, maybe someone else knows better?

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working...

quote:Originally posted by JAC

Hi There

I bought a used boat and it already has a license number on the hull should I re license it. What happens if I just leave it as is? Also if I cross the border will they check the name license number? I know I have to pay pst if I change the license/

thanks

That brings up an interesting question.Liscencing the boat is done on a Federal level through Service Canada and it is free of charge.However,the PST is paid on a Provincial level.Does someone at Service Canada notify Service BC that a change of ownership has taken place and that PST is due.Usually,when it comes to government,the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.My guess is that this would be doubly true when dealing with two different levels of government(Federal & Provincial).Can anyone answer this.
Dave

I bought two boats privately and in both cases a few months after the boat registration was changed to my name, I got a letter from the Provincial Government asking me to remit the PST. So there definitely is some communication between the two levels of government.

I can confirm that as I had an unlic. tin boat for years. I needed it registerd to get a Mexican fishing lic.-sure enough a couple of months later the prov. gov't. wanted PST. I refused to pay it by the way as our family had had it for at least 20 years. They left it at that.

bought 1 of my boats 8 yrs ago-previous owner,a buddy's bro,passed away 5 yrs ago,decided better change the # into my name-service can.then to notary-back to service can.all went well--3yrs latter got the letter-pay us now----only 2 guarentees in life--you will die and the gov't will tax you.

I guess that common sense would be to pay any taxes owing on a boat before the HST takes effect.7% as opposed to 12%.
Dave

GST has never been payable on the private sale of a boat, vehicle etc.
Maybe HST will also not apply??? Anyone know for sure?

Disco down

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.
Thomas Jefferson

Apparently the HST won't apply to boats. There was a previous thread about this with a link to the appropriate government page.

Found it.

http://www.kpmg.ca/en/services/tax/tnf/tnfc0926.html

"Tax on private sales of used vehicles

Private sales of used vehicles, aircraft and boats are currently subject to PST but not GST and so they will not be subject to HST. The province will retain a provincial sales tax that will reflect the current tax treatment of these items. "

quote:Originally posted by Clipper

Apparently the HST won't apply to boats. There was a previous thread about this with a link to the appropriate government page.

Found it.

http://www.kpmg.ca/en/services/tax/tnf/tnfc0926.html

"Tax on private sales of used vehicles

Private sales of used vehicles, aircraft and boats are currently subject to PST but not GST and so they will not be subject to HST. The province will retain a provincial sales tax that will reflect the current tax treatment of these items. "

Well,that's good to know.The government is showing a bit of common sense.
Dave

I bought a used boat last year,It had no registration # so I went and did the right thing, so now I get these letters demanding pst on the boat

quote:Originally posted by vetteman

Originally posted by JAC

Hi There

thanks

That brings up an interesting question.Liscencing the boat is done on a Federal level through Service Canada and it is free of charge.However,the PST is paid on a Provincial level.Does someone at Service Canada notify Service BC that a change of ownership has taken place and that PST is due.Usually,when it comes to government,the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.My guess is that this would be doubly true when dealing with two different levels of government(Federal & Provincial).Can anyone answer this.
Dave

When you sell the boat and the next guy pays tax the prov/gov finds out. Don't think they catch on before. Here's why.

Got a boat that neaded a lot of work given to me. I registered it as the previous owner wanted it out of his name. The papers the Fed/gov got said the boat was taken away for salvage.(no $ changed hands). I fixed the boat up and sold it for cash. After the sale I got a letter from the prov/gov saying I never paid P.S.T. on the boat I just sold. (so they estimated I owed them $2500 in tax.) I told them to look at the papers the fed/gov had stating I obtained the boat for no money. They told me they had no way of obtaining that info as the two departments can not comunicate.? Anyway I got the guy I got the boat from to write a letter to the prov/gov stating what they should already have known. (all was good, they got off my back.)

P.S. The same numbers remained with the boat through all the owners. Now they are in the guys name I sold the boat to.(he also registered the boat, he also payed the tax). The numbers never changed.

I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

I bought a boat from the BC government auction in 2001 and they sent me a letter in mid 2008 saying to pay the PST. I phoned and said that I paid the tax when I bought the boat, she say's they have no proof, but I say I bought it from you guys (the gov) she tells me they have no proof and for me to fax the reciept. They were finally sending me letters that they were going to send me a bill for $1200.00 plus interest(tax was only $216.00 when I bought it). Phoned back said you are making me spend money to proof my innocence because you people are to incompetent and can't communicate. Well 16 months later finally scanned it and emailed it. It is a little insight on how our gov is so inefficent.

Lesson here is ALWAYS keep your paperwork. They came after me when I imported my boat. I paid PST and GST at the border... the province said they had no record of it. I HAD saved the import documentation so I faxed them a copy , which they promptly lost. Of course it was MY fault that they lost it, and I had to resend the invoice.....Finally they went away.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Yep in some cases the left hand talks to the right...brought in two boats from the US, paid all my taxes at the border (pst and gst). Several months go by and we get a nasty gram from the province. We call them and explain we paid their *%$# tax. not good enough...they demand proof even though the thing that alerted them to our purchase was the tax form from Revenue Canada...listing all my financial info on the purchase and you guessed it...tax paid. We told them to read their records closely, leave us alone and if they really wanted their tax that badly to come and get the boat if they could prove we didn't pay......click. Never heard from them again.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Back