best place to find boat paint?

Discussion in 'Boats, Motors, Trailers and Towing Rigs Forum' started by yo mama, Feb 12, 2009.

1. yo mama

yo mama Active Member

Whats the best place in town to find paint for my tinny? Will regular auto paint work?

2. TenMile

TenMile Well-Known Member

I'd try Industrial Plastics -- they have all sorts of paints for aluminum, fiberglass and more.

3. Time

Time Active Member

Inside or outside of boat?
    I redid the interior on my tin last year and used a couple cans of spray on rustoleum (similar to tremclad). Used the Rustoleum because it had a bit of texture. Will see how it holds up this year.
    Exterior I haven't done but you could try the spray on automotive paints or Tremclad. Bit softer paint than the "official" boat paints, but a lot cheaper. Also prep is easier, I think I just did a TSP wash and light sanding. The good stuff requires chemical cleaning and etching of the aluminium.
    I did some Google searches last year and came up with a number of forums with the people talking about using the tremclad/rustoleum spray cans to paint their cars. Some 'interesting' designs. Try a search.

4. fah cups

fah cups Guest

Howdy Time. Do you know if a TSP wash will remove the yellow stain off fibreglass boats, which have been moored for the summer with no bottom paint. Any info much appreciated. Cheers FC

5. fah cups

fah cups Guest

Howdy Time. Do you know if a TSP wash will remove the yellow stain off fibreglass boats, which have been moored for the summer with no bottom paint. Any info much appreciated. Cheers FC

6. Time

Time Active Member

No idea on the "water stain" on fiberglass.
    Maybe call a shop that repairs glass hulls.
    Or maybe call Industrial Paint and Plastic. They always seem knowledgable.
    Good luck.

7. Time

Time Active Member

No idea on the "water stain" on fiberglass.
    Maybe call a shop that repairs glass hulls.
    Or maybe call Industrial Paint and Plastic. They always seem knowledgable.
    Good luck.

8. fah cups

fah cups Guest

Rodger that. Thanks time. FC

9. fah cups

fah cups Guest

Rodger that. Thanks time. FC

10. ebbtide

ebbtide Member

Starbrite bottom boat cleaner

11. Agreed X2 .. the best product by far!!! Canadian Tire has it, If theres any rings left over from barnicals there's stuff that you can just spray on and hose off, it eats away all the calcium and doesn't harm your hull. Its right beside the other stuff in Canadian Tire. And the bottom paint is right there with them both.

Take only what you need.

12. WillyD

WillyD Guest

I use to help my uncle clean the bottom of his boat. Walter Tipton. All he ever used was bleach.The day he sold the boat the bottom looked like new. Spray it on and wait a few minutes. The bleach kills all the growth and then you wash it offWith soap and water.