Beach Journal 2018

Treblig - quick question hopefully I can get your 2 cents input - you talk alot about spotting the fish, then casting a line- can I take it the general practice is that if there is no sign, you are not going to have much luck? There is a beach near us that I've often thought about hucking a fly hoping for the chance at the odd coho, but to date have never actually seen any indication there are any fish - i.e no jumping, fins, splash etc.

Treblig - quick question hopefully I can get your 2 cents input - you talk alot about spotting the fish, then casting a line- can I take it the general practice is that if there is no sign, you are not going to have much luck? There is a beach near us that I've often thought about hucking a fly hoping for the chance at the odd coho, but to date have never actually seen any indication there are any fish - i.e no jumping, fins, splash etc.

You are correct if we do not see signs we often will not start casting . Once we know they are in the location then we cast till we get tired of casting. In the last outting we saw tehm -then nothing , we saw again then started to cast, we saw nothing for a while but kept casting and then two of us got hook ups. Do we go total blind casting the answer would be no. Now spotting salmon can be full jumps, partial jumps, remnants of a jump, fins breaking the surface,or water movement that a school would creat just under the surface. Hope this helps

Last edited:
take it easy bruh... Some of us like to fish without hoards of internet warriors around.

We get it... You're sponsored.

Where did this come from?? Seems more than a bit harsh. This is a REPORTS section of a fishing forum right?

take it easy bruh... Some of us like to fish without hoards of internet warriors around.

We get it... You're sponsored.

Don't criticize or you will be called a bully, even if you are making a valid point regarding the huge increase in pressure in beach fishing the past few years.
For those that have not done it, beach fishing isn't like the ocean where there is always room for one more boat.

Don't criticize or you will be called a bully, even if you are making a valid point regarding the huge increase in pressure in beach fishing the past few years.
For those that have not done it, beach fishing isn't like the ocean where there is always room for one more boat.

IT'S MINE! IT'S MINE! I FOUND IT FIRST!!!

Yah, I hear that argument all the time, but mostly from pre-schoolers.

I am asked often why I use lite tackle for beach fishing for salmon. Its results like this photo that brings the answer. The long ultra lite rods with eight-pound test mono line can toss our lures 100-200 feet. This allows quick responses and the ability to cover a full range of casting zone.
It's the challenge that you are facing. First you put in the time to hunt. There are hundreds of beaches that can hold salmon. Often these beaches are not consistent every year. When you do find them its then its the stalk. Approaching them so not to spook them. Often I like to through my lures over them and then retrieve the lure through the school if they are stationary. If they are on the move it’s the same but leading ahead of their direction so the lure passes by them as they move forward.
The next is to have guessed what they will bite on. I carry a huge amount of lures from spinners, to spoons, to lead lures. All have a different application and can handle our British Columbia weather. Salmon can be fussy and often you will be going through your whole assortment.
When everything works this photo shows the reward.
As we approach the season end for beach fishing the gear is being set up for steelhead season. Most of the beach anglers know were the last zones are and if lucky they will show up as last year and give us another two weeks. The Puntledge river is still recieveing silver chums . Just have to work through the old boots.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 9.09.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 9.09.54 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 135
We went out for the last time. Found a few but frustrated they just wouldn't bite. At times they were within 30 feet. So ends the Journal for 2018. Now time to wash all the gear and wader . What I do with zippers is use some bees wax on the metal clasp as I have always found no matter how much you wash a zipper the clasp alway siezes up from salt.
The journal has been posted for two month with 11,927 viewers . I hope thats a positive step and off to the river Journal

Last edited:
Thx Treblig.

Time to pump some bugs.

You guessed it. For three years I have concentrated on using artificial. Last year was to plan for jigs this year but alas no sponsors. So I am going back this year to using my favorite , bugs and following up with single egg roe bags. Not to say I won't have artifiacl on me. Say tuned

My family is asking what I want for Christmas and I’m thinking about asking for a beach casting rod.

Treblig, I understand you to use the Amundsen Kudo Strategy centerpin rod paired with a spinning reel.

However my understanding of spinning rods is that the first guide is larger in diameter to collect the line as it spins off the reel. I don’t believe the centrepin rods have that.

Doesn’t that affect your casting distance?

Thanks

You are correct. I have used this rod for four years now and have no issues. We cast 100-200'+ but we are using light mainline 8 pounds to be exact with the 12-pound leader. Our reels are small Shimano Stradic 2000 but they do not make it anymore. so the next size my buddy uses is #2500. I also wash the rod if there is a long period of time I am not using it after fishing the salt as it is designed for fresh water. Pacific Net and Twine sells them . I believe one on the island and one in Richmond.
All the best

I think back in the day the 13 ft Raven centerpin rods were pretty good also ? Can't remember the model number ? Again paired with a Stradic 2000 which are great reels by the way.

I have the Raven rods too. They are the iM9 but they do not make them anymore. Beautiful rods. Extremely well made. They now have iM8 and they are a little softer.

Raven IM8-matte brown 13' 2 Med-Light 4-10 lb 1/8-3/8 oz Walnut Reel Seat

Amundson Kudos Strategy Rod 13'-2 ljne wt 12-20 pound lure wt 1/4-1 oz. center pin/beach rod

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

Treblig, your experience with the Kudo Strategy notwithstanding, I am a little reluctant to purchase a rod to do something that it's not designed for. Again, my question/concern about the difference in the guides closest to the reel. However I have read on another forum "The spinning reel casting rod combo is not ideal unless using a long rod and small spool reel" and that may be the difference in this situation.

Back