Bacon Recipe

Happy New Year everyone,
I have some bacon that I am curing using a dry rub and Ziploc bags. They have been in the fridge since the 2nd, it looks like the seal on one or two of them are leaking, none of them are completely dry. The bellies have some distinctly red parts on them but mostly the brown colour they turned on the second day. They don"t have any bad smells, or goopy brine.
My question is; should I re brine them, or will that make them too salty? I planned on leaving them in the brine for 10-14 days .

Yes should be fine . but question for you did you use some nitrate in the brine?

Yes should be fine . but question for you did you use some nitrate in the brine?
Yes I did.
I used 5 grams of Speed Cure 6.25% Sodium Nitrite

It will be completely fine when you use a salt sugar brine moisture will come out anyways , I put mine in these huge plastic bin only covered with a lid , I flip every 2 days good luck
48377519_2149584915294208_7456428100507664384_n.jpg
48417509_276508409726588_6743024652433489920_n.jpg

Hi again Ya'll
The bellies are looking good now, I'm going to smoke em in the next day or so. Here is my next question:
Has anyone done this in a Big Chief ? I know I can't get it hot enough, so I'm thinking four hours of smoking, then transfer to the oven to finish it off to 140 degree internal temperature. Does this sound about right to you?

I think you will be fine. Can you cover the smoker to help keep some heat in? My next batch will be done in my big chief. I have been using a Bradley for the last 2 batches. I think I will have to leave them in the smoker for at least 6 or 7 hrs. I was told to start with a lower heat so the fat does not render out and then finish to internal temp of 130 to 140. Out of smoker into oven will be how I finish if needed. Go for it and good luck.

I heat mine for about 4 hours or so at about 130 ish then smoke it for about a 1 1/2 hours which is about 145 and above, you will be fine. There is really no need to finish off in oven as the amount of salt and cure and the week or so you have let it sit its fine.Your going to cook it anyways later.
think of how the FN cured the salmon with just salt in the sun....

Where can you get Prague Powder/ pink salt in Victoria? Might give this a whirl.

Fish brain wheres the food ****!!!??? how did it turn out bud??

I have my own shop going and have everything give me a call if you need something ...

I have my own shop going and have everything give me a call if you need something ...
Thanks Wolf appreciate the offer will try IO for the salt but might ask you for advice once I get going.

For some reason I can’t get them to upload. They show up and then they disappear. I will try again later

prauge 1 powder you could probably ask glenwood as well or any where they process meat its cheap like 5 bucks for a lb all you use is 1 tbsp per 10 lbs of meat . and for hams etc there is different formulas for what they call "brine pump rate" i personally use a longer slower one as I want less nitrates in my food ....
Im made some bacon for someone on this forum...i think ive converted him LOL

Ok I think I have this working.
First I rubbed the bellies down with cure, and put them in Ziploc bags.
IMG_1057.jpg
The next morning I fried up all the cut off bits for breakfast. Tastes yummy already, My wife wondered why I wanted to leave them in the fridge for two weeks and smoke them. "Just wait " I told her.
IMG_1058.jpg
After two weeks and some advice from good people here on the forum, they are rinsed and ready for the smoker. I let them dry in the refrigerator over night.
IMG_1061.jpg
It took some time to get them from the ceiling

Back