Aluminum I-Beam Trailers

Jughead

Hi guys,

I'm curious what your opinions are on aluminum i-beam trailers. I have the opportunity to get an aluminum trailer for cheaper than I can get a galvanized trailer. Its a 7000lb trailer and I'd be putting a 3900lb (dry weight) boat on it.

I won't ever be trailering on gravel or rough roads, all highway and pavement. The worst would be Renfrew and Ukee.

Thanks for your opinions and advice!

But it will never rust out! If the trailer is new with 7000 lb capacity hauling a 4000+ lb boat what is the chance of it cracking with relatively underweight load?

It's not so much the weight, Alum. work hardens and then developes stress cracking. On average PAVED highways this would not likely ever be a concern, but with rough roads and the accompaning vibration/bouncing it MAY cause cracks. But you would probably not ever travel that many miles on gravel for it to be a concern.

The idea of a "I" beam trailer is a good one. I have a "U" channel galvanized trailer and the ability to easily wash down the trailer after a launch is really valuable. Beats the hell out of trying to flush all the nooks and crannies on a tubular trailer. As far as aluminum.... I know that they are really popular down south, so why not?

Our roads are not as good as down south. When i bought my new trailer a couple years ago i called around to several dealers and straight to the manufacturers. I told them money was no issue, which one should i go with, alum or galvanzied. Every manufacturer i talked to told me galvanized, and every dealer but 1, even though alum was 2-3grand more expensive on just about every model. They said galvanzied holds up much better for our roads and conditions locally because it can take vibrations and bumps, unlike aluminum as already mentioned.
I-beam is much nicer no question - nothing enclosed to hide water and salt and you can see everything. Once year i go through my trailer with a wirebrush and the cold galvanized spray to hit anything with rust on it - nothing yet in 3 years.

Downside to aluminum is it can crack very easily.

Where did you ever see an aluminum I beam trailer crack? THere are many grades of aluminum, made of many different alloy composites. THis stuff is very high grade and will flex. I have one for my pursuit and its probably 8000 lbs, maybe a little more. Highly recommend it.

I have an aluminum I beam trailer for my fat bottom girl. Love it. Best trailer I have ever owned. It is built like the space shuttle - top quality all the way. Would recommend shopping in the US however - way cheaper.

Aluminum may not rust but corrosion between the aluminum and any bolts less than 316 s.s. will cause problems. Bolt holes will become larger and out of round, and cracks will develop in any welds due to trailer flexing. The I-beam itself may not corrode, but its a softer material than the fasteners that hold it together, so its going to wear away. All is well with aluminum as long as you never want to go to tahsis, Toquart, Kyuquot or any of the other remote gravel road WCVI launches. I'll stick with "c" channel galvanized and a thorough freshwater flushing on each use.

All is well with aluminum as long as you never want to go to tahsis, Toquart, Kyuquot or any of the other remote gravel road WCVI launches. I'll stick with "c" channel galvanized and a thorough freshwater flushing on each use.

Sounds like a bad case of "little trailer man" syndrome;) Mine is bigger than yours...lol Just yardin your chain...we can compare trailer size when you come over this summer over a few too many beers.

Saw you at the Abbotsford show Pat. Lookin damn professional up there chatting about Halibut. You were too busy and I had to go, but would have loved to said hi and planned a trip this year. I am hoping to put in a little more time on the WCVI this year, but you'll probably be super busy with paying friends and all. ;-) oh yeah and I rarely suffer from "little trailer syndrome" , although I have been known to suffer from "engine envy" on occaision. hehhehheh

LOL, thought I saw you. Was hoping to chat. Always have time to raft up and have a good BS, so give me a call when you are planning on coming over.

HHHMMM i am curios as well as I saw those TUFF trailers with them oil bearings and a 5 yr warrenty they look very awsome!!!! anyone own one of these as they are rated for big weight....cause i plan on getting one at the end of the season as well

Wolf

Hey Roy i picked one up 3 yrs ago rated for 12,500 tripple axle ,you know my boat and the back and forth to Renfrew ,I've been impressed so far,come check it out

Back