Acoustic tagged coho in the Strait - please help

Bushbear

I rec’d the following e-mail from Steve Thiesfeld, WDFW this afternoon. It is being passed along as a “heads up” should you catch an acoustic tagged fish. While they are trying to target Fraser River coho, odds are that there will be some Puget Sound fish in the mix.

If you catch a tagged fish, please follow the directions in the e-mail below and contact Mr. Hinch.

Thanks

Dave Croonquist
PSRFEOC member

Ps It is possible that the acoustic tag might drop off. I’d be surprised if the spaghetti tag would pull out. If you find a fish with just a spaghetti tag, please call that information in.

Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:47 PM
To: Thiesfeld, Steven L (DFW)

Hello Steve
You met and briefly chatted with my PhD student Graham Raby this past year in regards to an acoustic tagging study that my group was conducting in the Strait of Juan de Fuca last year. You had mentioned to him to keep you in the loop if we were continuing with the study. We are in fact continuing with that study and are presently tagging/releasing up to 220 adult coho near Port Renfrew. It’s a collaboration between DFO and Canada’s Ocean Tracking Network. The PSC is also involved in our study. The focus of the study is to assess mortality rates and travel rates of Fraser bound coho that are captured/released as part of ocean fisheries that may target sockeye or pink. Last year the majority of fish we tagged were of Puget Sound origin so would have been heading ultimately into US waters. This year we are trying to focus our tagging more onto larger Fraser coho but I am certain many of our tagged fish will be US bound nonetheless. I wanted to give you the heads up that this was under way as you may hear of our tagged fish being captured in US waters. The acoustic tag is externally mounted on the back of the fish and we have a spaghetti tag as well. Our phone number (604 822 1969) and university identifier are on both. If a tagged fish is captured we would like to get information on tag ID and spaghetti tag number, and location/date of capture. Please feel free to circulate this email to other colleagues. I am happy to provide more details. Tag recapture information can also be provided directly to me.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott Hinch
Professor, Fisheries Conservation
Director, Natural Resources Conservation Program

Department of Forest and Conservation Sciences
University of British Columbia
2424 Main Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z4

604 822-9377 (office)
604 822-9102 (fax)
scott.hinch@ubc.ca
http://faculty.forestry.ubc.ca/hinch/