A Great Big Thank you!!!

Cuba Libre

Well deserved congratulations!!!

First ----Gerry Kristainson has been selected to receive one of the 2010 DFO Recreational Fishing Awards. Below is an email from Devona Adams from DFO announcing the well deserved award.

“SFAB Main Board,
We have just received word that Gerry Kristianson has been selected to receive one of Canada's Recreational Fisheries Awards for the year 2010.
The award recognizes Gerry's outstanding contribution to Recreational Fisheries in BC.
Congratulations to Gerry for this prestigious honor and his on-going efforts towards recreational fisheries in BC and Canada!
Best Regards
Devona “
Any of you that have been involved in the SFAB, SFI, and International negotiations around halibut and salmon, know that Gerry has been at the forefront of Canada’s efforts to get the best deal possible for Canadian sports anglers.

The second “award” as noted by RVP, ( but I thought it deserved its own thread) goes to Chuck Ashcroft from Courtenay. I use the term “award” loosely as it will mean a LOT more work for a guy that has to be close to being maxed out already.
I have included the email from Devona Adams and Gerry Kristianson on the selection of Chuck in its entirety . Since the emails have already gone out to the fishing community, I have not requested permission from Devona or Gerry to repost.

Colleagues: I am delighted to inform you that at the recent HAB meeting there was unanimous support for the selection of Chuck as the co-chair of the Halibut Commission Conference Board. Chuck will serve as vice-chair at this year’s meeting and occupy the chair next year. The Conference Board is where the harvesters from both countries try to agree on recommendations to the commissioners. The co-chairs have to bring together what are sometimes very different views both between countries and within national delegations. They play a key role in the IPHC process.

This is a significant development. Until now, the Canadian co-chair was always someone from the commercial sector, usually from the PHMA. The fact that Chuck’s nomination to the position was made by the commercial sector, seconded by First Nations, and supported by everyone in a room dominated by commercial interests, is a tribute to the great work he has been doing both on behalf of our sector, and on behalf of Canada’s efforts to get a better deal at the international level.

This decision by the HAB is a positive recognition of our sector’s importance. By selecting someone from the SFAB for this role, the other sectors are saying that they believe the recreational sector can make a significant contribution to the common cause of getting Canada the best deal possible at the meeting in Seattle. They are paying us the compliment of asking us to put into the international fight, the same energy we have been putting into domestic allocation arguments. Of course, this serves our collective self interest. The better our deal with the US, the more fish we will have to share domestically!

I will report separately on other issues from the HAB meeting, but felt this news deserved special mention.
Gerry
Chuck already plays an important role in the SFAB process. He is chair of the Groundfish Working Group, and as such is our main man dealing with halibut ,lingcod, rockfish, crabs, prawns etc. He is the person tasked with writing the SFAB response to the proposed SARA listings . He is on the Executive of the SFAB as well. His halibut duties draw him into multiday meetings of the IPHC all over the Pacific Northwest. He is the recording secretary of the Area 14 SFAC and still finds time to get out on the water in his 22 ft tinny ( which I have generously offered to take off his hands for two years while he whips the IPHC into our way of thinking!)
Both Gerry and Chuck have worked tirelessly on our behalf and we own them ( and the others who put their efforts into action, not words) a GREAT BIG THANK YOU!

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Kudos to both Gerry and Chuck!

We are damn lucky to have such quality folks standing up for the tidal angling community. I am amazed at the amount of personal time both give selflessly to helping our cause.

Thanks for posting this CL, it does deserve a seperate thread

Gov

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

I personally only know Gerry of the two but my congratulations and thanks go out to both for the invaluable work they have done for us and we prepared to keep doing. Many thanks again and Merry Christmas!

Well deserved on both accounts. These two guys are truly champions and guardians of our sport. The recreational fishing community is exremely lucky to have such competent and passionate advocates.

Congratulations guys!

Gooey

I couldn't agree more....

When some of us think that the volunteer time is getting a little taxing, we just need to think of the true dedication that these guys are putting out. It makes it easier to suck it up and get back to work, but still pales in comparison!

Thanks to you both and Happy Holidays to all.

Jay

Back