4.3 omc

weasonedog

I have a 1988 trophy hard top with a 4.3 ltr and a 2bbl carb, I replaced the engine last year with a rebuild with roller cam, when I run the boat just with my self and a full tank I have to run at 3800 rpm and if i have 3 of us in the boat i have to run at 4200 rpm and realy labors getting out of the hole, I have to get everyone to move to the front of the boat, I have also replaced the tach and some wiring when I replaced the engine, I used a hand held digital tach to make sure the electric tach was right, I have a Seloc manual and it says that the horse power is 125 at wot (4200-4600) is this normal for these boats? I was thinking of putting in a 4 bbl carb as the manual says with it the horse power will go up to 205 ?????? I have made sure that the prop is the one for the boat 14 x19, I have put a fin on the leg to see if this will help.

Thank-you in advance for you advice
Tony

those boats are underpowered IMO,, do whatever you can to get MORE HP. then make sure you have the correct prop for your use....trim tabs will help also...

I could be wrong, but i'm not so sure replacing the 2bbl with a 4bbl carb is going to give you
an additional 80horse power ?

A 4 barrel will help a lot but what is your WOT right now??? if its low you got to go to a smaller prop got to get more rpm out of it.
If your wot is 4200 go down to a 16 pitch prop and see what you get your going to have to try a lot of different props and yep takes time but write every thing down

WOT........
Pitch........
how fast.....
and notes on which each prop does and handles
Try a 4 blade as well more lift out of the butt and talk to a good prop guy with all your finding most will let you try different props.

Good luck Wolf

Are you sure about the Seloc manual saying 125 HP? Those 4.3L should be about 190 HP with a 2 barrel carb and about 205 HP with a 4 barrel carb. You say you have a rebuild in there. You should be getting enough power. Not sure why your engine is working so hard unless that boat is particularly heavy. Agreed that trim tabs would help.

Hi gents
Thank-you for your input, I have trim tabs on the boat and with them down helps slightly, I have to agree that the engine puts out more than 125 hp, checked the manual again and thats what it say's, as for wot i can get up to 4600 rpm with only me and a full tank not sure with a full load as she is laboring out of the hole so don,t want to try, I have spoke to Ron at Vic prop in Nanaimo and he thinks the prop is the right one but i will maybe contact Bayliner them selfs and ask them what hp this thing has and prop should be on there, don't realy want to put a 4 bbl on if i don't have too $$$$

Thank-you
Tony

I have the same boat but mine had a 4cyl volvo.When I say it took 5 mins to get on plane it really took 5 mins.Ripped the volvo out,installed a pod with a 200 merc. 3 people with all the gear and it still goes 37mph

I run a 18'6" malibu with a 4.3, 2 barrel. It used to take forever to get out of the hole, even with tabs. Replaced the prop last year with a 4 blade (recomendations of Rev in Nanaimo), it made a huge difference. Lost a little bit of top end but the torque improved plenty.....now if I could only figure out the fuel economy thing haha.

I've got the same boat...but with a 5.0L V8. Fully loaded it still takes a while to get on plane. The 4.3L and 3.0L that many of these came with is way under powered.
This year I replaced my prop with a low pitch, high diameter. It is now a lot quicker to plane and planes at a lower speed. You lose top end speed, but I'm not trying to win any races.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back