2019 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shaping up to be a crazy year with different pelagics making an appearance. Yesterday, a boat out of Westport WA hooked and fought a Marlin for 2.5 hours finally losing it when the leader parted at a knot. I was hooked on a shimano flatfall jig. Credible info as I know the parties involved.

Also saw a report on a Oregon forum of a boat central Oregon with 3 dorado!

We are heading up to Kyuquot on Thursday for 5 days (15-19). Will be taking one or two boats and looking to head out if the weather looks good. Anyone going to be up there and interested in heading out?

We'll be in Bamfield fishing Aug 18-23, and given the way the ocean has been setting up the last two weeks, I'll throw in the troll gear and irons. PM me if anybody wants a buddy boat one of those days, if we can get a reasonable ocean, we have some range.

fb

We are heading up to Kyuquot on Thursday for 5 days (15-19). Will be taking one or two boats and looking to head out if the weather looks good. Anyone going to be up there and interested in heading out?

We fly in on Wednesday.....sadly I don't have the tuna gear so will be watching with anticipation.

Weather is looking pretty good.

Report from the tuna losers. Yesterday out of Esperanza, went 80km's west then south and back in to Nootka. Temp maxed out at 64.7 but very little life in the water. No defined egde. Great clarity. No hits, no misses and no strikes. No other boats persent.

Saw a few 1ft long baitfish skipping in the waves. Anyone know what these are?

Had the one day off only. The water was a two foot chop, would have been better the week previous, but work gets in the way.

Next time the tuna will suffer! Keep the info coming guys. Thanks

Report from the tuna losers. Yesterday out of Esperanza, went 80km's west then south and back in to Nootka. Temp maxed out at 64.7 but very little life in the water. No defined egde. Great clarity. No hits, no misses and no strikes. No other boats persent.

Saw a few 1ft long baitfish skipping in the waves. Anyone know what these are?

Had the one day off only. The water was a two foot chop, would have been better the week previous, but work gets in the way.

Next time the tuna will suffer! Keep the info coming guys. Thanks

Saury maybe.
https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/pacific-sauries-322129424

That;s them, didn't know they got that big. We have seen the tuna chasing 3-6 inch baitfish before, but never saw the larger ones until yesterday.

We hit Clayoquot Canyon today, same report as Crab Bait. No hits for us today, no temp break to fish, just lots of warm blue water everywhere. Saw a boat come into Clayoquot from the South at midmorning, so clearly nothing happening where he came from.
Almost full moon last night, sure that didn’t help either.
It was, however, a stunning day on the water. No wind and just beautiful.

We hit Clayoquot Canyon today, same report as Crab Bait. No hits for us today, no temp break to fish, just lots of warm blue water everywhere. Saw a boat come into Clayoquot from the South at midmorning, so clearly nothing happening where he came from.
Almost full moon last night, sure that didn’t help either.
It was, however, a stunning day on the water. No wind and just beautiful.

Many goose eggs over the years
It's all about finding them
Sometimes you find em late in the day too.....then its hammer Time!!

We'll be in Bamfield fishing Aug 18-23, and given the way the ocean has been setting up the last two weeks, I'll throw in the troll gear and irons. PM me if anybody wants a buddy boat one of those days, if we can get a reasonable ocean, we have some range.

fb

Ill be at PN the 17th-24th and would like to give it a go if weather conditions allow. Want to get possession limits on primary target species first. 21' boat with 80 gal fuel.

I'll be in Winter Harbour August 25th to September 1st. Boats a bit on the small side, so I'll be selective about weather conditions. It would be good to team up, share info etc. Lot of water to cover out there. Feel free to say Hi if you see me.

Attachments

• Resized_20180604_103739.jpeg
    Resized_20180604_103739.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 206
I'll be in Winter Harbour August 25th to September 1st. Boats a bit on the small side, so I'll be selective about weather conditions. It would be good to team up, share info etc. Lot of water to cover out there. Feel free to say Hi if you see me.
Winter Harbour area inside and outside can blow up very fast and is known for the weathers unpredictability and how many times it changes daily. Even though the Tuna can be caught at times closer in up island than lower down I would still suggest to you that that boat is not suited to go Tuna hunting with. Yes Whalers float even when swamped but humans don't last long in those water temps.. Even when fishing out of boats 28 to 35' out there with self bailing decks and full pilot houses, you can get waves coming completely over and swamping the boat. And when I mean over, I mean over the top of the houses... Like that around a lot of the coast of course but Winter Harbour like I say is known for how quick things can change out there. In the morning you can be fishing glass calm waters and within a couple hours you can be in 15' stacking washing machine conditions.

Winter Harbour area inside and outside can blow up very fast and is known for the weathers unpredictability and how many times it changes daily. Even though the Tuna can be caught at times closer in up island than lower down I would still suggest to you that that boat is not suited to go Tuna hunting with. Yes Whalers float even when swamped but humans don't last long in those water temps.. Even when fishing out of boats 28 to 35' out there with self bailing decks and full pilot houses, you can get waves coming completely over and swamping the boat. And when I mean over, I mean over the top of the houses... Like that around a lot of the coast of course but Winter Harbour like I say is known for how quick things can change out there. In the morning you can be fishing glass calm waters and within a couple hours you can be in 15' stacking washing machine conditions.
I appreciate the caution. It is a pretty notorious area. I'm going in with the understanding I could spend the week up there and not make it off shore at all.

I appreciate the caution. It is a pretty notorious area. I'm going in with the understanding I could spend the week up there and not make it off shore at all.
That's great to hear but the point I am trying to make is that even if the weather report says you should be good to go and plan to go off shore there, within a few hours things can change very very drastically and not be on the weather report. By then it's too late, you are out there in the middle of it, panicking to try to get to cover safely or calling for help. Sounds dramatic right? No these are facts of fishing off shore or even inside in Winter Harbour. It blows up fast and angrily and regularly. If you want more specific info I suggest calling the local SAR's office and Coast Guard and local guides there, tell them the boat you have and ask them what they think about it all. I'm sure they'll be able to share with you a lot of local info and stories about what they've seen and been involved with there.
I'm sharing cause I have personal experience with friends/fishermen/families of fishermen that didn't fare too well in situations like that because they just wanted to get out there and catch fish their boats were not suited for. Hope this doesn't come across rude. Just want to be frank about it all. Tight lines and be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back