2019 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's to word on inside?
Big tournament on the Long weekend.
so are there fish up the bay yet? Any Coho and if so what is working ?

Considering going up in the end of September or early October to experience the offseason Nootka Sound. Any fishing going on at that time of year? Is weather a bigger concern?

Considering going up in the end of September or early October to experience the offseason Nootka Sound. Any fishing going on at that time of year? Is weather a bigger concern?

might get into some nice big coho end of sept

Just returned from a quick trip up. Fished the inside Camel, Hoiss, Coopte slow no action. Fished Burdwood and Discovery it was steady, not hot by any means but we did manage to get our springs and a couple of coho. Fish came on small anchovies, small white needle fish hootchies and herring strips, 80-100 ft 45 - 75 on the wire. Water clarity is down, brown in color due to phytoplankton, algae not as bad as in past years.
Sounds like there are plenty of coho still off shore, should only get better as we move into Sept.

Myself and my buddies will be fishing Esperanza over the upcoming long weekend. I'm looking for a recent report for the area. It sounds like it has been slow inside, not sure about outside. Can anyone share any reports ?

Myself and my buddies will be fishing Esperanza over the upcoming long weekend. I'm looking for a recent report for the area. It sounds like it has been slow inside, not sure about outside. Can anyone share any reports ?
I just got back from guiding at westview and fished sun. It was slow inside-I picked Up a spring at saltry and 1 at Rosa-most action was at inner pin-some coho ON blind and middle reef. Spot the birds!!!Believe me when I say -it is a bait play-you seem to get little on artificials. In short -disappointing compared to last year. Bottom fish including halibut are good.

I just got back from guiding at westview and fished sun. It was slow inside-I picked Up a spring at saltry and 1 at Rosa-most action was at inner pin-some coho ON blind and middle reef. Spot the birds!!!Believe me when I say -it is a bait play-you seem to get little on artificials. In short -disappointing compared to last year. Bottom fish including halibut are good.
Pretty much what we are seeing. Inlet is very slow, getting one inside is a good day. The odd spring, some coho off the reefs, inner black, pin, blind reef. Have been getting coho on small spoons, not just bait. Coho havent come in in numbers, or many big ones....yet. Have been seeing some schools of jumpers in the middle of the inlet, fished it running fast, 5mph with spoons and hootchies but no biters.

So....what happened to the inshore fish? I haven’t heard anyone say they slayed it inside all summer. I mean we’ve had years up there when you’d limit out mid July to mid Aug in a couple of hours. Not one year many years. (Although it does sound like the gill-net fleet got their share). Any data on returns to Conuma yet?

Thanks for your replies. So if the inlet is still dead, then we'll have to go outside to get fish, weather permitting. Are any areas outside producing better than others ?

So....what happened to the inshore fish? I haven’t heard anyone say they slayed it inside all summer. I mean we’ve had years up there when you’d limit out mid July to mid Aug in a couple of hours. Not one year many years. (Although it does sound like the gill-net fleet got their share). Any data on returns to Conuma yet?

Esperanza inlet itself has been poor all year. There has never been a consistent bite I'm aware of at Rosa, Garden, log dump, saltery bay etc. Some theories include all the rain pulled them in early, but gillner guys did well in Nootka. Warm water may have pushed them deep, maybe they mostly went through Nootka, who really knows. There was unbelievable fishing from mid june to the end of July off Catella, low rock and Pin Rock. Surprisingly Ferrer never consistently produced, and even now it hasnt been great as we process some of the local native band food fish and they have been fishing in there. With the rains, and warm bluewater coming in very close to shore it was a bit if an unusual year. Tons of blue sharks, huge sunfish only a few miles off shore. We are waiting for the big northern coho to show, that fishery can be productive, with very few boats around.

Could it be that the inside of WCVI was the only place that you could retain fish for most of the year and some of those stocks got hit hard??

Could it be that the inside of WCVI was the only place that you could retain fish for most of the year and some of those stocks got hit hard??
I doubt this is the case here-I guide at westview all summer and because of the restrictions I fished the near shore most of the summer and port eliza is correct-june and july was great at all the places he mentioned-I did well at Ferrer but got weeded out on numerous occasions. I thought the in-shore would light up in aug like last year but it didn`t. Last year the near shore was not as productive as this year but off-shore was gang-busters. I remember very late july this year at the potato(close to whales tail) saying to a guest that the water was blue. I also inadvertently hooked up to a 5 to 600 lb sunfish at blind reef which is very close inshore. (I think that`s called a Tahsis Sleigh Ride). Fortunately no harm done to gear or the fish!! Temperature has to be playing a part here. Also of note-no coho at the Whales Tail this year-last year they were a problem-this year was very rainy in Tahsis and Esperanza-certainly no fires this year--Nootka seemed better than the last 2 to 3 years- All I know is that we are not dealing with the same conditions as last year-I fished close to shore last year as well-it wasn`t the restrictions that caused this-it was the price of gas!! So after all of the above I have to finger water temp and so much rain during the summer-hope the coho show and check the spawning numbers at seasons end.

OK, so back to my question. If I am able to go offshore from Esperanza inlet, is there a spot that's been better or more consistent in recent days ? Thanks.

OK, so back to my question. If I am able to go offshore from Esperanza inlet, is there a spot that's been better or more consistent in recent days ? Thanks.
Well the whales tail has been the best but there have been days when it hasn`t been so good-on off days go to the 330 contour-has been hot at 240 on the rigger or better. Within the last 2 weeks the Potato has produced at about 240 on the rigger and I have heard the T has been good about 4 days ago but that is from a fellow guide-I haven`t done it. A suggestion is go for the halibut the drop a chovy as deep as you are comfortable with and I think you will surprise yourself then work an enlarging pattern till you find them. Good luck with the weather-I didn`t see any in the rivers on my slow crawl out the Tahsis road with the boat.

Nootka was on fire when we were there mid July.
Lighthouse and Hoise was best I've seen in yrs.

I have no info on Esperanza but by the looks of this, this guy is getting desperate, tried to get inside of pens for his fish;):pResized_2493838197511648.jpeg Resized_375952299969323.jpeg Resized_469205947256466.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back