2017 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Discussion in '2017 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by pescador, Jan 1, 2017.

1. bones

bones Well-Known Member

Any reports from nootka? Specifically prawning? I heard a rumor it was the shits, 5/ trap. Anyone been or heard otherwise? I also have heard a rumor that prawning will be closed down next year for several years. Can anyone confirm these rumors?

2. Derby

Derby Well-Known Member

As long as there is a commercial opportunity it will remain open...heard rumours it was slow...

3. bones

bones Well-Known Member

Rumor was everyone shutting down.

4. Derby

Derby Well-Known Member

could very well happen.... :(

5. pescador

pescador Well-Known Member

Think I'm gonna lose it..........79 days to go. Cannot wait to get out to Nootka. Wish I felt this way about work.

6. bones

bones Well-Known Member

Any reports? Prawning hali?

7. Matty4x4

Matty4x4 Member

I'd like to hear some reports as well. We head in on Friday morning.

8. bones

bones Well-Known Member

Where going? Just out of nootka? Esperenza? Will you be dropping prawn traps?

9. twolabs

twolabs New Member

Will be up again this August staying at Critter cove again can't wait. Does anyone do any crabbing around Nootka?

10. bones

bones Well-Known Member

No crabs in nootka sound sorry

Attached Files:

11. crazycanuck

crazycanuck Member

Looks like you borrowed my gaff ya bugga! that'll be a beer next time I see ya! prawning apparently extremely bleek... Comies clean em out 2 years ago guess dfo thinks its time to shut er down now they are all gone! awesome conservation of a once great resource... so frustrating

bones likes this.
  12. crazycanuck

crazycanuck Member

and i'm talking about prawns... them furry little buggas did the crabs

13. Matty4x4

Matty4x4 Member

Staying in cougar creek. In search of prawns crab and the unlikely spring.

14. bones

bones Well-Known Member

Leave the crab traps at home I caught 14 one year a have not caught one since.

Only a beer? Thing is so bent I have to play a lead when swinging. Wonder what Ballsdeep gonna cost me when I "borrow" it later? Pilsner lol?

crazycanuck likes this.
  15. IronNoggin

IronNoggin Well-Known Member

War Wagon is fueled, ice down Saturday, then paddling North West. Quick stop for a pick up in Club Zed, then wandering out to commence this year's troll effort. Will try and report in from time to time if the hotel in Club Zed has internet access still...

Cheers,
    Nog

pescador, Derby and bones like this.
  16. Fishtofino

Fishtofino Well-Known Member

Good luck and be safe

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    IronNoggin likes this.
  17. TheBigGuy

TheBigGuy Well-Known Member

x2

IronNoggin likes this.
  18. bigbruce

bigbruce Crew Member

Just back from a few days prawning out of Tahsis. Great accommodation at Westview Marina, but the prawning not so good. After 3 full days on the water, we were able to get our limits, but man it was tough! Lots of empty pulls. Sure hope they shut that area to Commercial this year. According to several locals, it's been pretty much decimated an needs at least a year off to recover.

bones likes this.
  19. Mervillite

Mervillite Member

Went to Nootka last weekend looking for some prawns and crabs. while the crabbing was pretty good, the prawning was terrible. Our prawn traps were filling with hake which i have not seen before in the sound. worst prawning i have ever seen as well, we ended up with 100 in 2 days. at least they were Jumbos. too windy to get offshore and look for any Halis.

20. bones

bones Well-Known Member

Any salmon?