Search results

1. M

2020 Port McNeill, Telegragh Cove Reports

Went in there the other day by water with my 18 footer and they wanted $12 to tie up for 2 hours. No thanks.
  2. M

20ft Hourston issues

Old thread from 2011
  3. M

Doppler Radar—Furuno NXT

Thanks I should have been more clear. Originally you stated something about an ARPA target near shipping lanes and I was wondering what you meant by that. Did you mean a target that was acquired by the ARPA on your radar? I assume that your Radar gets input from your GPS for own ship heading...
  4. M

Doppler Radar—Furuno NXT

What do you mean by an ARPA target? Thanks for sharing
  5. M

Inflatable vest test concerns

It's a good idea to inflate them orally once a year then leave them for 24 hrs to see if they leak
  6. M

Dumb questions at the boat ramp

Back in the early eighties I was working as a deckhand on a D.F.O. boat and we were out on Swiftsure Bank when the Captain spotted a Washington State registered sport boat fishing. We pulled up alongside and the Captain yelled down from Monkey Island (above the wheelhouse) and asked if the...
  7. M

Coast Guard warns of explosive hazard after barge runs aground on Haida Gwaii

Gasoline is volatile and will float on the surface. It is not nearly as damaging as heavy oils. I believe that burning the barge with all the other chemicals it probably contains would be a poor choice. It is likely that the amount of fuel onboard is minimal as it is the end of their season.
  8. M

Coast Guard warns of explosive hazard after barge runs aground on Haida Gwaii

Sorry but I fail to see how lighting up the barge releasing toxic fumes into the atmosphere would be a way to deal with this. Never mind the extreme risk of explosion.
  9. M

What age do people start talking there kids salmon fishing?

My son has been fishing pretty much from day 1. He's 12 now and caught this 29 pounder a few days ago. When he was a toddler he loved to jig black rock fish with his toy spinning rod. He has caught a few monster ling cod doing this. He can run the boat and gear and he launches and lands the...
  10. M

Replace outboard or just leg. need advice

I would check that you can in fact use the same controls/gauges on a new outboard as this may not be the case. From your description, it sounds like the engine that you currently have may not prove to be reliable. Have you explored the possibility of replacing it with an used outboard, maybe a...
  11. M

Bennett Trim Tabs

I have the same/similar trim tabs on my 18 footer, they came with the boat I purchased 14 years ago and have never given me any problems. I highly recommend them.
  12. M

Upgrading Running and Other Lights to LED

A boat less than 12 meters long does not need to have separate stern and mast lights. An all round white light will suffice.
  13. M

Catch Greenlings for bait

I have caught (and released) many big lings fishing shallow pinnacles where schools Black Rockfish can be found. I use a small jig like a Sting Zilda to catch the Rockfish and if there are any lings around they will glom on to the hooked rockfish as it struggles to free itself.
  14. M

Run from Rupert across to Sandspit

Look into having your boat hostled on the ferry (Crew loads the boat onto the ferry). When you tow it on board yourself you pay oversize rates for the truck too. If you have it hostled you pay a small hostling fee, but you don't pay oversize rates for the truck.
  15. M

Boat sinking Bowen Island

If it has an inboard/outboard it might have been the bellows
  16. M

anybody seen the abu garcia mooching reel? or heard reviews on it?

Looking at he specs it says "1.1 to 1 gear ratio"?
  17. M

BC Ferries to ban passengers from staying on closed vehicle decks

What does the union have to do with this? Transport Canada mandates safety regulations.
  18. M

put it neutral or keep trolling?

When conditions allow I like to kill the motor and enjoy the action.
  19. M

Powers of Fishery Officers

There is nothing illegal about having barbed hooks in your boat. You just can't fish for salmon with them.
  20. M

Canadian fisherman survives sexual assault by dozens of seals

If its on the internet it must be true!
Back