Search results

1. wishiniwasfishin1

Can some help with salmon ID? This was one of the nature pics of the year but the front fin and eye are really throwing me off.

I’ll post a link to the article. Is this fish already spawned out or close to it so just kind of drifting and the pic is from a random fin flare out? Edit: here is a link to the article https://petapixel.com/2024/01/17/bear-and-salmon-pictured-together-in-canadas-best-nature-photos-2023/
  2. wishiniwasfishin1

Object shot down over Alaska (not a balloon)…

So there was something shot down over Alaska by a 🇺🇸 F-22. The pentagon isn’t saying what, just that it was floating with no propulsion and the size of a small car. https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6744511 Wondering if any of you guys way up North are seeing anything? 👽
  3. wishiniwasfishin1

Bacon first timer - anyone have a good brine calculator?

You guys are the pros so thought I would ask here. The Information I see online seems off. The salt I get at 2.25% for sea salt and .25 for the Prague #1 for a total of 2.5% salts. The sugar is mostly 1% that I am seeing. Is that correct? 2.5 x sugar to salt? My belly is 2.3 kg and I hope...
  4. wishiniwasfishin1

Albion test fishery - Fraser River chinook 2021

Numbers seem super low. Looks like the peak was Aug 22 ish. I hope they are late for the fish sake. At what point do the move over to a hatchery model? here’s the link but maybe I’m looking at the wrong data? https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fos2_Internet/Testfish/rptDTFD.cfm
  5. wishiniwasfishin1

Pretty cool shark video from Stanley Park

These look pretty big for doggies but pretty cool footage of sharks herding / chowing on baitfish in Stanley Park! @Rain City are these the smelt you are looking for?
  6. wishiniwasfishin1

Canned Salmon - Best Recipe? (not smoked)

Hi guys I have some salmon that's been in the freezer for about 8 months and I want to process it into canned. I am trying to avoid smoking and canning so will likely just add some liquid smoke. I have done with salt and pepper, a bit of olive oil and Aquavit (liquer) in the past. I will thaw...
  7. wishiniwasfishin1

Area 23 July / August

A friend and I are planning a trip from Vancouver to WCVI by way of boat around the south end of the island and fishing Area 23 July or August. We are trying to decide the best time - taking fishing and weather into consideration. Looking at the regs, it appears those areas remain open for...
  8. wishiniwasfishin1

English Bay Freighter horn

Anyone know what 7 blasts then one prolonged blast mean? 3 sets of those in the last 5 mins in the harbour...
  9. wishiniwasfishin1

Deep Six, Dipsy Divers

Anyone have any of these relics hanging around that they want to get rid of? I am in Vancouver and can meet someone locally. Looking for 3-4. Thanks!
  10. wishiniwasfishin1

Lang Bay

Just curious from you Powell River area guys how Lang Bay is at the end of July - early August. We are renting a cabin and will be there with the kids but I have a pretty well rigged fishing kayak and was hoping to get out and try my luck. Are there any salmon around at that time? I will give...
  11. wishiniwasfishin1

Scotty Manuals riggers with rod holders

Hi I have two manuals for sale - have the rod holders. They just need a good cleanup as they have been in our shop for a while collecting dust. Will need cable / braid. $150 for the pair - $75 ea. Located in Vancouver close to 3rd and Main.
  12. wishiniwasfishin1

Soup container / thermos

Hey I thought i would check here to see if anyone knows of a good soup thermos? I have really got into making soups lately and want to bring soup to work for lunch. We don't have a microwave, and I would prefer to have a thermos that i don't have to transfer the soup into a bowl to eat. Just...
  13. wishiniwasfishin1

General Open Forum - Guidelines?

Two politically motivated threads were recently closed by site administrators. SFBC is a fantastic forum and is generally used by level headed environment / fishing minded people. The depth of knowledge, experiences and life stories (and reports) keep me checking this site...often. I am not...
  14. wishiniwasfishin1

USA 2016 Election - the countdown is on...

Well as polarizing as this election is, I think we can all agree that its a gong show down south. This election has turned into a high school mud slinging festival. I thought I would start this thread to keep us occupied until winter fishing starts up. So grab your popcorn and let 'er rip!
  15. wishiniwasfishin1

Aluminum Welder for boats - Vancouver

Hi, Can anyone recommend a good aluminum welder in the Vancouver area? RYM Propeller was great but I think he is no longer in business. Thanks
  16. wishiniwasfishin1

Left over bait...do you re-use?

Hi guys, I am wondering what you do with your leftover anchovies and herring if you aren't going to be fishing again any time soon. Do you chuck 'em because fresh is best, or somehow freeze, then that and re use? I am talking about brined bait. I have never tried freezing after brining but...
  17. wishiniwasfishin1

Ocean Kayak

Hey guys, I am interested in getting into fishing out of a kayak around the Vancouver area. The idea would be to keep it at Jericho sailing center in Vancouver and fish the Bell and the harbour, with maybe the occasional trip to the Sunshine Coast. I also have a 9 year old daughter who would...
  18. wishiniwasfishin1

Quick question - Trail Islands off Sechelt

I am renting a little place for a couple days at the end of July, and will have a Kayak to fish out of and would like to pull some cutties around Trail Islands. Does anyone know if this in an RCA or is it open? I can't find anything on the DFO site. Thanks
  19. wishiniwasfishin1

Braid Vs Wire....yet again..

Just a quick question.. My friend is going to reload on the Cannon Riggers (very nice by the way) and he wants to know whether to get braid or go with cable. I know the pros and cons and did a search and have found some info and most seem to like braid because of the security of knowing there...
  20. wishiniwasfishin1

2016 Masters Coverage

I am at work trying to find a decent free streaming internet radio link. I seem to go through this every year but just wondering if anyone has found a live feed? I have tried the Masters.com one - doesn't work for me and team 1040 not on, BBC not working...uggh. Anyone?
Back