Search results

1. Rob H

Cuts of meat on sale

I picked up 6 nice striploin steaks (boneless) at Superstore in Langford yesterday and we had 3 last night which were very good, $9.99 / lb.
  2. Rob H

Your Salmon Fisheries Are In Peril!- COMPLETE THE DFO SRKW SURVERY BEFORE FEBUARY 12TH

I filled the survey a couple days ago. I gave a few suggestions and observations since I boat most of the year and only saw the SRKW's once the whole year (saw transient whales several times in groups of 1 to 5 whales). Expanding closed areas is ridiculous, adopting the 400 m avoidance zone as...
  3. Rob H

2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

I expect he is referring to very large mature herring, i.e. >12 inches long. ...Rob
  4. Rob H

2023 Sooke Reports

I was ar whirl a few days ago and we caught lots of juvenile sablefish jigging on bottom, ,,,Rob
  5. Rob H

What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

I believe I helped tow you in that day, it was nasty weather and if your anchor slipped you would have been in trouble, My friend who towed you in was Jeff W G, ,,,Rob
  6. Rob H

Left... Right ... or Ambidextrous

I agree with Nog's explanation. I'm left handed and cast left so prefer to reel with my right on casting setups. I also prefer to reel right on mooching reels and conventional/level wind reels (holding the rod in my left hand). I take out mostly right handed people on my boat, most prefer to...
  7. Rob H

Reel Repair? Vancouver Island

Mike just repaired 3 reels I had dropped off to him. He is heading to the interior for a while now so won't be doing any reels till he gets back if he is still continuing the business in Nanoose. ...Rob
  8. Rob H

Cuts of meat on sale

Picked up 2 packs of SS steaks. The one we ate on Sunday was excellent, nice and tender and flavorful (one bone thick ~1 1/2 inches). ...Rob
  9. Rob H

Pocket knives

This is what I have been using for more than 30 years, Victorinox grafting knife (I've gone through a couple keeping them sharpened). I used to work in horticulture and a grafting knife was always handy to have in my pocket. I realized they had many other uses and still carry one wherever I am...
  10. Rob H

Outboard Power for 21’ walkaround

I have a 21.5 Campion with a 200 hp Optimax and think that is ideal power for my boat. I have good hole shot but can cruise nicely at 3400 rpm doing 27 to 28 mph using 7 to 8 US gal/hr. ...Rob
  11. Rob H

Cuts of meat on sale

This last winter/spring we used chicken drumsticks as crab bait (4 or 5 per trap) as they were on sale for ~$1 per lb. and they worked equally as well as chicken necks/backs which we also got cheap (equivalent volumes used). ...Rob
  12. Rob H

Winter Harbour Experiences?

I have been to Winter Harbour 3 times fishing, and the fishing was great each time, especially for bottom fish. There is also amazing wildlife viewing: Orca, Humpback, and Grey whales to watch plus lots of sea otters (often rafted together as you head out the inlet). There are so many bottom...
  13. Rob H

Lets talk Downrigger Braid

I don't use a swivel anymore like Scott, it is an unnecessary fail point. I have had the 2/0 swivel break on me when I got caught in a large wad of kelp, even though I changed the swivels out when all the nickel plating disappeared. I also believe I had a break off once when the swivel jammed in...
  14. Rob H

Starter battery recommended MCA

I have an older 200 hp MercuryOptimax as the main on my 21.5 Campion. These motors are known to require a strong battery for starting. I have a Costco group 27 "Starting/Deep Cycle" as battery 1 and a blue top Optima as battery 2. I alternate which battery I use for the day via by battery...
  15. Rob H

Scent? Herring oil?

I don't recommend using any oil or gel on hootchies as it can ruin them over time (mold etc.). I do like using herring gel (oil won't last long at all) on my spoons or jigs most of the time. It will last a long time (sometimes all day) and can easily be removed with a paper towel or cloth if...
  16. Rob H

Cuts of meat on sale

I was at Walmart in Langford yesterday and saw 1/2 whole strip loins on sale for $7.97 per lb. These were grade AAA vacuum packed and looked pretty good as far as I could see through the packaging. ...Rob
  17. Rob H

What size swivel fits through a Scotty wheel?

I agree, eliminate the swivel. I have had the swivels jam in the pully (use 2/0), had the swivels break in half, plus the plating wears off fairly quickly then I change them out because I don't trust them. I now use 300 lb P-Line mono at the end of my 200 lb. PowerPro downrigger braid (5 to 7...
  18. Rob H

Trophy Titan TTSA Mooching rods

I have an 11 foot power 4 as well. I have had it for over 10 years, it is my favorite rod. I have not tried a lighter action Titan but have several older Fenwick HMX's and have tried many other rod brands but still prefer my 11' Titan Power 4. ...Rob
  19. Rob H

Electronics predicament...

I have a Helix 7 also in my boat as well as a Lowrance Elite 5. I like the Helix for mapping, it is easier to read than the Elite, has better colour definition, and has the RCA's as you have mentioned. The sonar with the Helix 7 is good also, shows the bait well and does show fish signals at...
Back