Search results

1. Mike1266

2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Just wondering what everyone's preference is when bleeding salmon, cut gills on one side only, cut gills on both sides, or cut tail? I've experimented with all but cutting the gills on one side seems to get the most blood out. Cutting the other side seems to somewhat slow the bleeding process...
  2. Mike1266

2023 Sidney Reports

Is Arbutus isl open for hatchery chinook now? From what I see it seems like only 18-7 is open. I could be wrong though
  3. Mike1266

2023 Sidney Reports

Had a great time yesterday thanks to Stizzla. We were able to get a beauty ling and a couple rockfish! On a side note, is there any place to grab some big bags of ice in town?
  4. Mike1266

2023 Sidney Reports

Sweet, will give that a try for sure. Thanks a ton!
  5. Mike1266

2023 Sidney Reports

First time fishing Sidney, tough to find decent productive spots for bottom fishing. Would anyone be able to guide us in the right direction? We tried around Moresby Island yesterday, both for halibut and bottom fish. Ventured around basically the entire island looking for fish but found the...
  6. Mike1266

May be time to bring out the ol' cast net? Now if I can actually figure out how to throw the damn thing I might have some free bait!
  7. Mike1266

Finished the day with no salmon in the box, only 1 chinook which seemed to be hatchery released by the boat and 1 bite that didn’t stick. seaweed situation was a little annoying. Jigged up a couple flounder for dinner as a consolation prize for the last 30 mins and packed it in. Beauty day though!
  8. Mike1266

Out near south bowen/hump after seeing morning reports. Wasn’t planning on fishing today but had to seeing the reports. Got a late start and seems slow so far, haven’t seen any nets out but there must be at least 100 boats fishing now. Weather fantastic and nice calm seas, couldn’t ask for more.
  9. Mike1266

Fishing around comox in July

Hello, I will be going to the comox area with a small boat to do some fishing. I have never fished the area before, so I am wondering if there is decent fishing to be had in this area (doesn't have to be salmon, I love to bring back a rockfish or lingcod for dinner as well). I am equipped for...
  10. Mike1266

WANTED prawn traps

Anyone looking to sell some prawn traps on the mainland side? I had 3 sets stolen last year and I'm looking to replace them.
  11. Mike1266

2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Lost an absolute hog at the boat after 3 hrs of no bites. Heartbreaking :(
  12. Mike1266

I find fishing in the pack is unproductive anyway. I always catch my fish far from the pack, but the pack will sometimes move to your spot after seeing you land a fish or two, then you go back to where they were :p
  13. Mike1266

When does everyone like to bleed/gut their fish? I usually stop fishing to do it instantly when fishing solo as it seems to keep the meat exceptionally fresh. Catching more is less important to me than keeping your already caught fish in top condition. There seems to be mixed feelings about this...
  14. Mike1266

Well damn, gave the hooks a twist as you said and instantly landed a high teener. Coincidence or not, I’m twisting all my hooks now lol
  15. Mike1266

No, maybe I should try that. I had to straighten it out after my 1st fish, maybe that’s why.
  16. Mike1266

Are ya’ll fishing with barbs or something? I must be cursed, 5th bite that didn’t stick in a row. 1 in the box, but really having to work for the 2nd one.
  17. Mike1266

Etiquette question: how close is too close off someone's stern?

I always seem to run into boaters who feel the need to cruise by very close to you in a very open ocean. A lot of the times they have a bigger boat than mine and their wake is huge, causing unnecessary headache. A general rule I like to go by is if I can throw a brick from my boat and hit you...
  18. Mike1266

2022 Gulf Island Reports

Hey guys, I am also looking into fishing around Duck Bay/North Reef. It seems there is Chinook non-retention until Oct.15, but hatchery coho is open. I don’t usually fish this area, so was wondering if it’s even worth trying for hatchery coho in these areas?
  19. Mike1266

Crossing the strait this Saturday

unfortunately schedule won't allow. Good luck out there if you're going fishing!
  20. Mike1266

Crossing the strait this Saturday

Possibly planning a crossing this Saturday morning across to Gabriola, planning to start heading back around 4-5pm. Would anyone be interested in crossing together? I'm on a smaller 16ft boat, crossed many times before. Conditions look great, will have to check again Friday evening.
Back