Do I need it ... No, but I want it. Rivian Truck

Ev tech, like it or not, is disruptive and its definitely here to stay. In any event, if they dont put the diesel into the jeep gladiator then the rivian is on my list...100% leased. Betcha the residuals are like 20% on a 36 month term lol

I think it will go very fast very suddenly. Just like LED light bulbs replaced conventional. I only have my truck for towing the boat to the ramp a few times and maybe hauling some garden waste here and then. The first "normal" looking EV truck on the market will be the replacement to be added to the EV car we already have. Then no more fuel purchases at all. 6 solar panels on our roof can charge the car already during daylight. Just need a battery now to store power overnight so that I don't need to use the grid for recharging at all. I think this step is not even 1-2 years away anymore. Couldn't do the Tesla truck, sorry, I am oldschool. I want to recognize what is front and back. Too bad for them, 70-80k going somewhere else next year maybe if a F150EV comes out?

https://electrek.co/2019/12/20/tesl...-route-goes-live-all-at-once-mostly-v3-250kw/

Tesla has been working on a Trans-Canada Supercharger route for more than a year now, and today it finally went live, all at the same time.

Even better, most of the locations have Tesla’s new 250kW V3 Supercharger. These allow a Model 3 to add about 100 miles in 7 minutes.

According to Tesla’s in-car display, the sites are now live all across Canada. You can see an update of the changes on your Tesla’s map display or on tracker site supercharge.info.

Tesla’s website still shows a bunch of greyed-out stations along the route, but all are marked “target opening in 2019.” Tesla only had a couple weeks left to hit that timeline – and it looks like they have, just in the nick of time.

Just yesterday we posted about Tesla’s Supercharger network reaching 15,000 chargers, making it a tremendous asset for the company. These locations cover most trips in North America, Europe, and several Asian countries.

Now, this trip might be the easiest Supercharger trip in the world. With 250kW chargers almost all the way through, the trans-Canada route has just become the fastest-charging Tesla route yet. Until now, Tesla had only rolled out a few V3 chargers in other parts of the world (though some pretty massive ones)

Tesla also opened its first V3 Supercharger in Europe today and its first V3 charger in China is under construction.

While EVs in general are more capable for road trips than most people think, other charger networks are still not as easy to use as Tesla’s.

Tesla’s main quick charging competitor in the US is Electrify America, who we interviewed at the LA Auto Show. They’re rolling out a lot of chargers quite quickly, and almost all stations have a max capacity of 350kW, which is even faster than Tesla’s V3. But they’ve had some problems with outages and high pricing, and are still working hard to reach the same level of service as Tesla’s Superchargers (and they want you to raise hell if their chargers won’t work, so they can fix the problem).

Electrek’s Take
As I mentioned in the Tesla vs. Taycan charging article, Tesla roadtripping is already pretty easy. Most Tesla owners will tell you that they are quite satisfied with the Supercharger network for roadtripping purposes.

Tesla hit the right spot with the Supercharger network, which is easy to use, attractive, fast, and well-placed for inter-city travel. It took some time for them to roll out these 15,000 chargers, but now the system is quite robust.

But 250kW will make the experience all that much better. It’s not so much about lowering the amount of time charging, since that’s already pretty tolerable if you schedule food and bathroom breaks to coincide with charging. Rather, V3 chargers don’t have to split capacity between multiple stalls, which means busy stations will charge just as quickly as empty stations. And it means station throughput should increase, helping to eliminate the few outlier situations where the network gets overloaded during holiday travel.

This all bodes well for Tesla’s V3 rollout, showing that the company can engage in a relatively massive project in the relatively unpopulated areas of central Canada. And do so while delivering the best charging experience currently available.

And this is all important as Tesla builds more cars. The network needs to keep expanding to add enough capacity to handle Tesla’s sales records which seem to be broken every quarter.

Canada was one missing link until today. It was possible to Supercharge in the most populated areas in Canada, but getting from one side to the other was difficult.

They have 3 superchargers stations right across from the Timmy hoho's I go to. As im getting my food I ask the lady in the window how busy they are and she said "they are full most of the time".

Incredible....The tech is their now its just getting the cost down to the 30k range where it becomes affordable for most of the middle class.

How much and how do the stations charge?
I don’t think the super chargers are going to be available for residential use. Too heavy duty? We had a level 2 installed at home, 220v 30 amp, it cost $1,000 and an hour labour for an electrician to install. There was a $750 rebate though, so it cost us $250 plus installation.

I don’t think the super chargers are going to be available for residential use. Too heavy duty? We had a level 2 installed at home, 220v 30 amp, it cost $1,000 and an hour labour for an electrician to install. There was a $750 rebate though, so it cost us $250 plus installation.
That seems pretty reasonable. I meant the public charging stations though...

I’m surprised it’s not mentioned here given it was announced prior to the date of this thread... but if you want an EV truck, have a look at Tesla’s new Cybertruck. Not as “pretty” looking as the Rivian, but beats it in all categories including price. Also the back cover will have solar panels embedded for self charging. It’s not much, I believe 35km per day, but better than nothing which all other EVs currently have.

Re batteries, I find it interesting that no one seems to care about the billions of batteries we all use daily in our phones and other devices, but as soon as they are used in a vehicle, it’s an issue. Btw, Tesla uses only 3% cobalt which will change to 0% soon if not already.

Also, Tesla build EV Transport trucks now too if you haven’t seen those.

It's always a good idea to watch what Sandy Munro says about the Tesla Truck and I'm not surprised that he wants one.

Not a tow truck guys sorry but these are pretty cool.
When they build a quad that runs silent that would be awesome, I’m sure it’s not far away.

Not quite,, I saw those but that’s just a toy made for show, I could slap that thing together lol. We need 4x4 and about 8” clearance heavy suspension and some heavy duty racks. Basically a tank on wheels for what we do with them.
They’ll be out in a few years I’m sure. Honda or one of the other big names will produce one. I’m sure they are working on it just have to get it right before they put there brand on it.

OMG, can they not make some normal EV cars and trucks first before they come out with all this weird niche stuff? They just don't get it! EVs will be the standard soon and not niche products.

It's okay. Let them start with the niche stuff, those consumers are used to leading edge stuff that doesn't always work.
After a couple of years of learning and working the kinks out, 'normal' stuff will be available to us regular folks.

Tesla is the standard atm. From a towing perspective, aside from the model y, the smaller more affordable version of the model x or suv, the cybertruck is their pickup truck. If you want a more standard looking EV truck, there’s the Rivian of course, and Ford is working on an EV version of the F150. Regardless all the big car companies are making EVs now. For example, Hyundai and Toyota have some EV options in the suv range right now. It’s just a matter of time before they are widely available. And when that happens, prices should come down. Which is what I’m waiting for. :rolleyes:

Until then, these niche products are needed to turn people’s attention to EVs.

9 am and the 4 fast charging stations at the petrocan were full. BC growth in Ev's is starting to look like its out pacing the infrastructure available in BC.

worrying...

9 am and the 4 fast charging stations at the petrocan were full. BC growth in Ev's is starting to look like its out pacing the infrastructure available in BC.

worrying...
Yeah I’ve been saying that for a while now, used to often find a spot, now , not so much( frustrating how many people use the free chargers for a parking stall)I think though once people get used to plugging in at a their residential level 2 the demand for public stations will lessen. We plug in ours at home as soon as we arrive home so we never get that low. If available when out and about we use a public station for a top up but so far haven’t had to rely on one. Fast charge stations should turnover every 40 minutes I believe, but you are right they are often tied up as popularity increases. We went the plug in hybrid route as opposed to fully electric so we can’t use fast chargers, but then again we have backup gas mode. We’re very happy.

Back