2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wind looks great today , anyone else heading out? I won't be out till 11 , will fish the low tide at 1:30 , hope to hear a few reports from SH before I get out, the again maybe not , don't want to miss that morning bite .
Good luck .

Fished cap last night, hooked up on three nice springs. Port Authority was kicking up a wake and forcing boats to fish West of the new yellow buoy. This is the first I have heard of these new rules and all I could find was a bulletin on their website:

https://www.portvancouver.com/wp-co...endly-File-Safe-Boating-Guide-2019-Update.pdf

I saw plenty of boats ignoring the Port Authority guys; including two guide boats. Any other information available on this?

Fished cap last night, hooked up on three nice springs. Port Authority was kicking up a wake and forcing boats to fish West of the new yellow buoy. This is the first I have heard of these new rules and all I could find was a bulletin on their website:

https://www.portvancouver.com/wp-co...endly-File-Safe-Boating-Guide-2019-Update.pdf

I saw plenty of boats ignoring the Port Authority guys; including two guide boats. Any other information available on this?
Yes, this was news to me yesterday as well. If the new marker is the yellow buoy which by the sounds of it it is, we are going to miss fishing some of the most productive section of the Cap.

Pounded out from North Arm and across English Bay to West Van yesterday (Sunday) noon. Had daughter and 2 grandkids out for their first time this year so was basically single-handed and doing training at the same time. Started near Fisheries trolling east. Fighting the wind and still outgoing tide was tough. There were times we were doing 6kts and making 0.0 MPH over ground.. Decided to lift gear and power down to the Lionsgate green marker. 1:30 (low tide) about 15 boat at Cap mouth - didn't see anyone fighting or netting anything, nothing on sonar either. Port Authority was not around - three freighters had come out earlier - boats were scattered right in to the green marker and out as far as mid-bridge. Powered back west to pink apartments and then trolling west. Managed to get 3 lines down (100'depth): 1 on the bottom, and one up 20' both with anchovies, one at 65' with white hoochie. Trolling was now pleasurable: sunshine, throttle and steering set, sit-back and watch rods. 15 minutes in had a strong hit on he bottom line. Had a tough time getting rod out of the holder. Was a good fighter and made a dozen good but short runs (14lb. marble) - 13yr old Grandson netted it first try :)(his first time one net). Kids thought it was 'a monster' - their guesses were 22 and 24lbs. By the time we got all the other gear up and that one landed, I was done!! By the time we secured gear and bounced our way back to Milltown it was 5:00. 10yr old granddaughter confessed the "summer doesn't really start for me till I've been out on your boat", grandson chimed in with "ya, this is better than a trip to Disneyland". Well worth the effort for a 69 year old.

So lumpy at SH, only a few boats stuck it out. Hit one grilse and a wild hoe, they are so small this year also didn't see any one else with nets out
Time to put the riggers away and bust out the fly rods and start chasing salmon up the rivers, what my jet boat is designed for.........so long saltwater, it has been a stellar year

I’m fishing tomorrow. Sand heads or Cap? Any thoughts on what would be the best call. I’m coming from the north arm.

So lumpy at SH, only a few boats stuck it out. Hit one grilse and a wild hoe, they are so small this year also didn't see any one else with nets out
Time to put the riggers away and bust out the fly rods and start chasing salmon up the rivers, what my jet boat is designed for.........so long saltwater, it has been a stellar year
has been a awesome year especially for springs defintly cant complain was fun while it lasted till next year hope its just as good

Cap would be your best bet unless you have any good recent report of sandhead. I heard the test fishery marked marbled springs recently in the fraser so maybe sandheads could produce. But my money would be cap to pink apps. Fish being caught

I’m fishing tomorrow. Sand heads or Cap? Any thoughts on what would be the best call. I’m coming from the north arm.
You might try a pass off 3rd beach if it’s on your way. If there’s coho there you will know right away. A little late for that spot but you never know.

Got out to SH around 11:30, was bumpy but fishable. Windy App said way less.
Couple grilles , one wild Coho , and a lost Spring , all we had to show yesterday .
Calmed down for the evening . Fish came at 57 and 47 on the riggers , 100 to 300 feet of water .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back