Fishing near Desolation Sound

kaelc

Weather reports are slowly crushing my BC day long weekend plans, but Desolation Sound should keep my First Mate happy. Any fishing spots close to Desolation Sound that you can recommend? I am currently thinking of launching out of Saratoga Beach and heading over. I would love to launch at browns bay, fish and then boat over but it is a little bit too long of a run to keep my First Mate happy.

I remember commercial fishing up that way 20 years ago but I was young and dumb at the time, I should have kept a journal. If you could point me to a rough spot to fish, I would appreciate it? Any prawning left after the commercial boats have been through?

Anyone else heading that way and wants to get away for a morning fish, while the wife and kids are sleeping?

Sutil Point, Twin Islands and Mary Point off Cortez Island, Sarah Point between Lund and Okeover and Joyce Point just outside of Teakerne Arm (up Lewis Channel btwn Cortez and West Redonda) have all produce for me in the past. Send Left Coast a PM as he was very helpful to me prior to my first trip up there a few years ago. My wife and I now make it an annual trip, staying and mooring our boat at Desolation Resort on Okeover Inlet. Check out my report in the Powell River Reports section from our recent trip.

Cheers!

Ukee

Ukee has nailed some great spots. All great and most can be fished in all types of weather. If you want to spread your wings even more Toba is great and lots of spots to fish along with a few nice places for mooring and accommodations. check out http://www.homfraylodge.com/
PM me if you need more information or help with any logistics on your trip.

Cheers

I've heard good reports from around Savary...don't know details but have friends up there who have been happy with the fishing.

Last edited:
We made the trip from there during the first week of July, only we stayed on Savary Island. I had great success in Homfery Chanel. There is a long wall just past Lloyd point. I fished it 60-90 feet and caught fish on the Green AP herring spoon and an Army Truck Hootchie with a Madi flasher

If you head north up the channel from Refuge Cove towards Sonora and run about 10 mins fish hold along side that point across from Cortez. Let me look at the charts and I will circle back. Sarah Point is fishy too as is the windward side of Savary. That's an epic part of the world. I'm heading up at the end of August to Dent like each year and love that area.

3 years later we are finally going! I'm thinking of just jigging with my son for a few small springs. Any lings still in the area (outside of the park). Anywhere getting a few pinks, son is 2 so he will be thrilled with anything as will I!

Kaelc send me a PM if you like I can give you some good info spots to try

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_3278.PNG
    IMG_3278.PNG
    164.2 KB · Views: 111
If you head north up the channel from Refuge Cove towards Sonora and run about 10 mins fish hold along side that point across from Cortez. Let me look at the charts and I will circle back. Sarah Point is fishy too as is the windward side of Savary. That's an epic part of the world. I'm heading up at the end of August to Dent like each year and love that area.

ab1752.
Just curious what make of hull is in your aviator. I like the lines with the top

Thx scott

Back