Upset about the Chinook Closures? What to do next?

Ok while I am on a rant, I might as well go to the next, sorry if this has already been beat to death somewhere else, why does Dfo open coho on June1, another pile of bull excrement, those fish are like the size of medium trout, every one you hook and release I bet has a survival rate of zero. My thought is coho should not be fished until at least mid July, by the they have some size. I expect to take heat on this opinion, but ok bring it on.

In addition, don’t talk to me about how great the concept of catch and release fishing is, and how it is so great for your mental soul, I agree with that and practice it.That is not what I am talking about, I talk about the fact that I am and my family are long time residents of this province, but we do not get to share in a resource, it has been apportioned to others that are more deserving, when do we get our piece of the pie. Uh never. Not sure this is still relevant, but I guess someone could check. The residents of Alaska, each individual has a right to a certain amount of fish each year, this is for everyone not just a few. It used to be I believe 75 fish per person, a year. Neighbours got together, fished together.

Ok while I am on a rant, I might as well go to the next, sorry if this has already been beat to death somewhere else, why does Dfo open coho on June1, another pile of bull excrement, those fish are like the size of medium trout, every one you hook and release I bet has a survival rate of zero. My thought is coho should not be fished until at least mid July, by the they have some size. I expect to take heat on this opinion, but ok bring it on.
Blue backs don’t get as big as a late summer coho. In places like Capilano, people catch them in river as early as first week of May. So, not sure if the smaller size blue back will stay in the salt chuck until July.

https://www.canada.ca/en/fisheries-...gn-and-co-delivery-of-fisheries-programs.html

Headed down the toilet. That's where the feds/dfo are flushing rec/com fishers, businesses, communities. These AH's are living in some kind of misguided national and international alternate universe. It looks like the feds are on a steep downhill path of handing more and more control of fisheries to indigenous people. Our present government needs to treat "all Canadians with equality and respect. This idea of giving special hands off fishing rights to a group of people who happened to be the first people to migrate into Canada is "inequitable" to all other Canadians. Human migration into North America by other human populations was inevitable. The world has always been an ever changing place. There is no better way to treat people than to treat everyone equally. And the present government should be mindful of that as they hob knob internationally and try to sell Canada as an example to the world. If our present government is hell bent on giving special rights and priviledges to FN groups then they sure as hell need to ensure the fish stocks are protected unlike what DFO is allowing to take place on the Fraser River at present. How in hell can FN groups expect us to believe they are responsible stewards moving forward. Sorry if I've offended anyone, but whoever is "f"ing around on the Fraser certainly doesn't give a rat's "ss about offending the FN image, rec/com fishers, businesses, and communities.

I realize that the frustration level regarding these ridiculous shutdowns is slowly building. I'm sure there are a lot of regular fishing people who strongly feel our rights as Canadians have been violated. I sometimes feel that a protest catch and keep fishery could be warranted. I understand there could be a lot of risk involved with such a move. A Canadian human rights Lawyer would have to be on board of course. Maybe I'm just pissing in the wind here but I do strongly feel that the only way to get there true attention is to take back our rights and take back our fishery.;) eman

I realize that the frustration level regarding these ridiculous shutdowns is slowly building. I'm sure there are a lot of regular fishing people who strongly feel our rights as Canadians have been violated. I sometimes feel that a protest catch and keep fishery could be warranted. I understand there could be a lot of risk involved with such a move. A Canadian human rights Lawyer would have to be on board of course. Maybe I'm just pissing in the wind here but I do strongly feel that the only way to get there true attention is to take back our rights and take back our fishery.;) eman
An aside here but imagine being the guy that gets skunked during that protest :mad::D LOL.

Back on topic, I'm for it!

For those interested, here is DFO's response to my comments on page 14:

Hello,

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding Chinook conservation measures for 2019.

It is a difficult time for coastal communities that rely on the fishing industry, and Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) acknowledges concerns regarding the economic and social impacts resulting from the reduced fishing opportunities for salmon. We have provided a broad overview of the background on Chinook fisheries management and related topics.

British Columbians have an enduring connection with Pacific salmon, which holds tremendous value for natural ecosystems, cultural and spiritual practices, jobs and income, and recreational enjoyment along the coast and inland watersheds of the Pacific Region. DFO is very concerned about the health of fish and our oceans.

Fraser River Chinook salmon in particular have experienced a dramatic decline in recent years. In November 2018, the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC) assessed seven Fraser River Chinook salmon populations as endangered, four as threatened, and one as a special concern. This assessment has implications for these stocks and for Southern Resident Killer Whales (SRKW), which are listed as endangered under the Species at Risk Act (SARA) and which depend on Chinook salmon as their preferred prey.

DFO is guided by a strong framework of conservation policies including Canada’s Policy for Conservation of Wild Pacific Salmon (Wild Salmon Policy), the Sustainable Fisheries Framework and a Fishery Decision-Making Framework Incorporating the Precautionary Approach. These important policies support the conservation and sustainable use of Canadian fisheries through monitoring and assessment, and they ensure that management relies on evidence-based and precautionary decision making.

The Department, along with others, urgently needs to address these declines and changes to marine life, freshwater habitat, and ecosystems that are affecting salmon and the communities that rely on them. Last year, new management measures were introduced to reduce fishery mortalities on Chinook populations of conservation concern in British Columbia (including Skeena, Nass, and Fraser River origin Chinook salmon) by 25 to 35 percent to limit pressure on these stocks. However, preliminary data indicates that the target reductions in 2018 were not achieved and Fraser River Chinook salmon in particular continued to decline. Despite DFO’s efforts, a broad pattern of decline has affected many Chinook salmon populations in southern BC, and these populations require bold action to prevent extinction.

Therefore, DFO introduced new management measures for Fraser River Chinook salmon in 2019. These measures build on the actions taken last year, introducing new constraints across all fisheries encountering Chinook. The 2019 goal is designed to allow as many endangered and threatened Fraser River Chinook salmon stocks to reach the spawning grounds as possible. Management actions seek to minimize fishery mortalities in commercial, recreational, and First Nations fisheries where these Chinook are encountered.

In all fisheries management decisions, conservation is the first and fundamental priority, followed by respect for Indigenous peoples’ constitutionally protected priority for food, social, and ceremonial (FSC) fisheries. DFO then considers allocation priorities and provides sustainable fisheries where possible.

First Nations are contending with new reductions to FSC fisheries as part of these actions. To support conservation outcomes, communal fisheries will not commence until July 15, 2019. Prior to July 15—consistent with the Government’s constitutional obligations to First Nations—DFO will provide First Nations with ceremonial access opportunities (e.g. funerals or first fish ceremonies) to harvest very limited numbers of Chinook.

The Department recognises the significance of Chinook to the recreational fishery and the role played by the recreational fishery as a source of food, income, and employment in many communities. A continued decline in Fraser River Chinook would harm species that depend on the survival of Chinook salmon, such as SRKW. A continued decline would also permanently affect the culture, heritage, and livelihoods of Indigenous communities and permanently eliminate many more jobs in the recreational and commercial fishing industries.

The Department sought input from, and carefully considered advice and recommendations provided by, Indigenous peoples and all stakeholders, including commercial and recreational harvesters, environmental organizations, and the public. Advice gathered from consultations led DFO to modify the original fishery proposals.

Fishery Notice 0377 contains details on 2019 Commercial, Recreational and Aboriginal Fraser River Chinook Conservation Measures and coast-wide recreational annual limits for Chinook salmon in tidal waters.

DFO Pacific Region Conservation and Protection comprises 180 fishery officer positions. Fishery officers conduct patrols by land, air, and water, in uniform or plain clothes, to monitor compliance of the Fisheries Act and regulations.

Regarding Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licences (TWSFLs), DFO does not issue refunds for the cost of annual TWSFLs or Salmon Conservation Stamps. TWSFLs provide access and opportunity to harvest fish other than Chinook salmon. As you may know, all revenues from the Salmon Conservation Stamp go to the Pacific Salmon Foundation to support projects that improve Pacific salmon habitat. For one-, three-, and five-day TWSFLs, requests for refunds may be directed to the Pacific Fishery Licensing Unit at < Fishing-Peche.XNAT@dfo-mpo.gc.ca >. DFO will review requests on a case-by-case basis.

The Department does not provide compensation to recreational salmon licence holders or to businesses potentially affected by reductions in fisheries opportunities. Stock levels fluctuate every year, and fisheries closures for conservation are a regular occurrence and necessary for responsible management of the fisheries.

Fishery management measures alone will not restore salmon. The Department continues to work on a number of fronts to protect wild salmon, including rebuilding measures and habitat restoration. DFO’sProtecting Canada’s wild salmon website provides information on the Government’s work on the Wild Salmon Policy and its Implementation Plan; the International Year of the Salmon, SARA: Pacific salmon; and the Salmonid Enhancement Program. The website also provides links to information on habitat restoration and the British Columbia Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund, a collaborative initiative with the Province of BC.

In addition, to support salmon recovery, the Department is undertaking more science work, including research regarding climate change, as detailed on the Scientific research and Pacific salmon website.

Understanding what is happening to our stocks and to our freshwater and marine environments is the key to ensuring that salmon and their habitats are managed sustainably. The Department’s work includes documenting assessment methods, improving databases, and better understanding a range of threats including habitat and water use impacts, disease, climate change, predator impacts, and other issues, and exploring mitigation options.

DFO recognizes the importance of Pacific salmon and salmon habitats from multiple perspectives—environmental, economic, and sociocultural. Given the complex life cycles of wild salmon, combined with the multiple jurisdictions and regulatory frameworks implicated, it is critical that all affected sectors and governments continue to work together on a holistic approach to salmon conservation. DFO is confident that by working together to conserve salmon, we will secure a brighter future for wild Pacific salmon in British Columbia.

The road to recovery requires a long-term view and the collaboration of all interested parties. To this end, DFO will be engaging with First Nations and stakeholders, including the Province of British Columbia and commercial and recreational harvesters, to explore establishing a process to address a broad range of issues impacting Chinook stocks. It is expected that this process will address issues including conservation, land and water use, fish habitat, role of hatcheries to support rebuilding and potential for marking selective fisheries, and impacts of seals and sea lions on Chinook salmon, among others. DFO’s hope is that this process will play a vital role in determining how best to steward the resource moving forward.

The Department understands that this is a challenging situation. Our immediate priority is conservation of Fraser River Chinook salmon and supporting their long-term recovery.

For those interested, here is DFO's response to my comments on page 14:

Hello,

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding Chinook conservation measures for 2019.

It is a difficult time for coastal communities that rely on the fishing industry, and Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) acknowledges concerns regarding the economic and social impacts resulting from the reduced fishing opportunities for salmon. We have provided a broad overview of the background on Chinook fisheries management and related topics.

British Columbians have an enduring connection with Pacific salmon, which holds tremendous value for natural ecosystems, cultural and spiritual practices, jobs and income, and recreational enjoyment along the coast and inland watersheds of the Pacific Region. DFO is very concerned about the health of fish and our oceans.

Fraser River Chinook salmon in particular have experienced a dramatic decline in recent years. In November 2018, the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC) assessed seven Fraser River Chinook salmon populations as endangered, four as threatened, and one as a special concern. This assessment has implications for these stocks and for Southern Resident Killer Whales (SRKW), which are listed as endangered under the Species at Risk Act (SARA) and which depend on Chinook salmon as their preferred prey.

DFO is guided by a strong framework of conservation policies including Canada’s Policy for Conservation of Wild Pacific Salmon (Wild Salmon Policy), the Sustainable Fisheries Framework and a Fishery Decision-Making Framework Incorporating the Precautionary Approach. These important policies support the conservation and sustainable use of Canadian fisheries through monitoring and assessment, and they ensure that management relies on evidence-based and precautionary decision making.

The Department, along with others, urgently needs to address these declines and changes to marine life, freshwater habitat, and ecosystems that are affecting salmon and the communities that rely on them. Last year, new management measures were introduced to reduce fishery mortalities on Chinook populations of conservation concern in British Columbia (including Skeena, Nass, and Fraser River origin Chinook salmon) by 25 to 35 percent to limit pressure on these stocks. However, preliminary data indicates that the target reductions in 2018 were not achieved and Fraser River Chinook salmon in particular continued to decline. Despite DFO’s efforts, a broad pattern of decline has affected many Chinook salmon populations in southern BC, and these populations require bold action to prevent extinction.

Therefore, DFO introduced new management measures for Fraser River Chinook salmon in 2019. These measures build on the actions taken last year, introducing new constraints across all fisheries encountering Chinook. The 2019 goal is designed to allow as many endangered and threatened Fraser River Chinook salmon stocks to reach the spawning grounds as possible. Management actions seek to minimize fishery mortalities in commercial, recreational, and First Nations fisheries where these Chinook are encountered.

In all fisheries management decisions, conservation is the first and fundamental priority, followed by respect for Indigenous peoples’ constitutionally protected priority for food, social, and ceremonial (FSC) fisheries. DFO then considers allocation priorities and provides sustainable fisheries where possible.

First Nations are contending with new reductions to FSC fisheries as part of these actions. To support conservation outcomes, communal fisheries will not commence until July 15, 2019. Prior to July 15—consistent with the Government’s constitutional obligations to First Nations—DFO will provide First Nations with ceremonial access opportunities (e.g. funerals or first fish ceremonies) to harvest very limited numbers of Chinook.

The Department recognises the significance of Chinook to the recreational fishery and the role played by the recreational fishery as a source of food, income, and employment in many communities. A continued decline in Fraser River Chinook would harm species that depend on the survival of Chinook salmon, such as SRKW. A continued decline would also permanently affect the culture, heritage, and livelihoods of Indigenous communities and permanently eliminate many more jobs in the recreational and commercial fishing industries.

The Department sought input from, and carefully considered advice and recommendations provided by, Indigenous peoples and all stakeholders, including commercial and recreational harvesters, environmental organizations, and the public. Advice gathered from consultations led DFO to modify the original fishery proposals.

Fishery Notice 0377 contains details on 2019 Commercial, Recreational and Aboriginal Fraser River Chinook Conservation Measures and coast-wide recreational annual limits for Chinook salmon in tidal waters.

DFO Pacific Region Conservation and Protection comprises 180 fishery officer positions. Fishery officers conduct patrols by land, air, and water, in uniform or plain clothes, to monitor compliance of the Fisheries Act and regulations.

Regarding Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licences (TWSFLs), DFO does not issue refunds for the cost of annual TWSFLs or Salmon Conservation Stamps. TWSFLs provide access and opportunity to harvest fish other than Chinook salmon. As you may know, all revenues from the Salmon Conservation Stamp go to the Pacific Salmon Foundation to support projects that improve Pacific salmon habitat. For one-, three-, and five-day TWSFLs, requests for refunds may be directed to the Pacific Fishery Licensing Unit at < Fishing-Peche.XNAT@dfo-mpo.gc.ca >. DFO will review requests on a case-by-case basis.

The Department does not provide compensation to recreational salmon licence holders or to businesses potentially affected by reductions in fisheries opportunities. Stock levels fluctuate every year, and fisheries closures for conservation are a regular occurrence and necessary for responsible management of the fisheries.

Fishery management measures alone will not restore salmon. The Department continues to work on a number of fronts to protect wild salmon, including rebuilding measures and habitat restoration. DFO’sProtecting Canada’s wild salmon website provides information on the Government’s work on the Wild Salmon Policy and its Implementation Plan; the International Year of the Salmon, SARA: Pacific salmon; and the Salmonid Enhancement Program. The website also provides links to information on habitat restoration and the British Columbia Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund, a collaborative initiative with the Province of BC.

In addition, to support salmon recovery, the Department is undertaking more science work, including research regarding climate change, as detailed on the Scientific research and Pacific salmon website.

Understanding what is happening to our stocks and to our freshwater and marine environments is the key to ensuring that salmon and their habitats are managed sustainably. The Department’s work includes documenting assessment methods, improving databases, and better understanding a range of threats including habitat and water use impacts, disease, climate change, predator impacts, and other issues, and exploring mitigation options.

DFO recognizes the importance of Pacific salmon and salmon habitats from multiple perspectives—environmental, economic, and sociocultural. Given the complex life cycles of wild salmon, combined with the multiple jurisdictions and regulatory frameworks implicated, it is critical that all affected sectors and governments continue to work together on a holistic approach to salmon conservation. DFO is confident that by working together to conserve salmon, we will secure a brighter future for wild Pacific salmon in British Columbia.

The road to recovery requires a long-term view and the collaboration of all interested parties. To this end, DFO will be engaging with First Nations and stakeholders, including the Province of British Columbia and commercial and recreational harvesters, to explore establishing a process to address a broad range of issues impacting Chinook stocks. It is expected that this process will address issues including conservation, land and water use, fish habitat, role of hatcheries to support rebuilding and potential for marking selective fisheries, and impacts of seals and sea lions on Chinook salmon, among others. DFO’s hope is that this process will play a vital role in determining how best to steward the resource moving forward.

The Department understands that this is a challenging situation. Our immediate priority is conservation of Fraser River Chinook salmon and supporting their long-term recovery.
Yeah we all got that same form letter.

The last sentence of DFO's form letter says it all....
Their priority is supporting the Fraser Chinooks long term recovery, ie, shut down the sports fishery and cripple the associated economies, spend as little money as possible and ignore the need for short term enhancement,hatcheries,sea pens etc., have more studies, con the general public with self-serving news releases, and let the stocks slowly dwindle to the point of no return. This is what we get from a West Coast fisheries minister. Shame.Shame Shame

https://www.canada.ca/en/fisheries-...gn-and-co-delivery-of-fisheries-programs.html

Headed down the toilet. That's where the feds/dfo are flushing rec/com fishers, businesses, communities. These AH's are living in some kind of misguided national and international alternate universe. It looks like the feds are on a steep downhill path of handing more and more control of fisheries to indigenous people. Our present government needs to treat "all Canadians with equality and respect. This idea of giving special hands off fishing rights to a group of people who happened to be the first people to migrate into Canada is "inequitable" to all other Canadians. Human migration into North America by other human populations was inevitable. The world has always been an ever changing place. There is no better way to treat people than to treat everyone equally. And the present government should be mindful of that as they hob knob internationally and try to sell Canada as an example to the world. If our present government is hell bent on giving special rights and priviledges to FN groups then they sure as hell need to ensure the fish stocks are protected unlike what DFO is allowing to take place on the Fraser River at present. How in hell can FN groups expect us to believe they are responsible stewards moving forward. Sorry if I've offended anyone, but whoever is "f"ing around on the Fraser certainly doesn't give a rat's "ss about offending the FN image, rec/com fishers, businesses, and communities.

If FN get special rights over me because they came here 10,000 before my ancestors then I demand at least a bit specialized fishing rights over new immigrants. So, any chinese or east indian or syrian immigrant should stop fishing well before me!

Folks now is the time to write and meet the conservative candidate in your area. Ask the question what is their plan on managing the west coast chinook fishery and access to these fish. Pound the **** out of them with letters and emails we need them to know that this is a big deal to BC. Maybe they will show up maybe they won't but we have to get the 2 spirited joke of a dipship PM out of office. Having said all this we will probably get screwed as Quebec will f*ck the rest of the country over and give him a minority, then the buck toothed wonder from the greens will try and pull a Weaver :(

This is exactly not the statement/message we want from our group. We don't promote racism on here. My family were immigrants, and I don't share the same beliefs. Personally I think your post sucks. Everyone is Canadian and yes FN are 2.

Not all FN are bad. Your stroking with a large brush which isn't fair. Same with immigrants we wouldn't have Canada without them.

Why do we keep going in circle here with this? Isn't DFO the real cause of the issue?

I think you took his post too literally . I think he was saying here is some racism that wouldn't fly, so why is DFOs/governments brand of racism ok?

I think you took his post too literally . I think he was saying here is some racism that wouldn't fly, so why is DFOs/governments brand of racism ok?

I am staying out of it, and got rid of my post. Your not going to change the rights of FN, so why waste your effort. We have to work with them, and it is DFO that is the issue. They created this mess.

I am staying out of it, and got rid of my post. Your not going to change the rights of FN, so why waste your effort. We have to work with them, and it is DFO that is the issue. They created this mess.

Laws and constitutions can be changed. I think it's time our country consider some progressive changes.

Laws and constitutions can be changed. I think it's time our country consider some progressive changes.
Do your homework. The Supreme Court made its ruling and the appeal was struck down......that ship has already sailed.
Like SV wrote, we have to work with the FN’s now

I'm not disagreeing with you, the original comment was a little much. But It really isn't DFO. It's the mandate brought down on them by the government in the name of reconciliation. So yes this very much is a FN issue but fighting them isn't the answer. We need to work together and the DFO even suggesting that they not fish is what pissed them off in the first place. It's a mess.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, how is catching American hatchery fish violating local First Nations rights? Let’s not forget the can also fish for these same clipped salmon, they face no restriction. Their rights resolve around the priority harvest Fraser River and other Canadian stocks, not American salmon. I think DFO is playing us and using the local First Nations to do so.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, how is catching American hatchery fish violating local First Nations rights? Let’s not forget the can also fish for these same clipped salmon, they face no restriction. Their rights resolve around the priority harvest Fraser River and other Canadian stocks, not American salmon. I think DFO is playing us and using the local First Nations to do so.

Its not but the Fraser river FN threatened litigation and rather then keeping the ocean open for hatchery fish and risk litigation they just closed it all.

Back