Annoucement of Protest Outside Fisheries Minister's office May 1 from 12 to 1 PM

Personally I still don't think it's a short and concise argument. I plan to be there for the protest. My concern is this situation though... Somebody walks by and sees a bunch of 25-65 year old white men standing in protest. What signs do they read? What chants are they hearing? They work up the balls to ask a question and are bored to death by trying to be read a four paragraph rant about CWT and DNA and Washington State and ENGO'S AND THE RIVERS! THE NATIVES ARE IN THE RIVERS!!!

Does she really care?

I for one still have a tough time explaining the issues at a dinner table with a 4 person audience and two hours to discuss it. So like I said I'm definitely coming and I support any plan to do something about this mess. But what is our headline message? What can fit on a sign board? How do we get the rest of BC on our side in one news clip? Who's our leader that can convey this message?

I'm playing devils advocate here because we've all seen how the news can spin things and getting any bad press can really hurt our cause. Perhaps a conversation should be had prior to the protest? Some talking points should be established. Let's agree on what the message is, in 280 characters or less.

Personally I still don't think it's a short and concise argument. I plan to be there for the protest. My concern is this situation though... Somebody walks by and sees a bunch of 25-65 year old white men standing in protest. What signs do they read? What chants are they hearing? They work up the balls to ask a question and are bored to death by trying to be read a four paragraph rant about CWT and DNA and Washington State and ENGO'S AND THE RIVERS! THE NATIVES ARE IN THE RIVERS!!!

Does she really care?

I for one still have a tough time explaining the issues at a dinner table with a 4 person audience and two hours to discuss it. So like I said I'm definitely coming and I support any plan to do something about this mess. But what is our headline message? What can fit on a sign board? How do we get the rest of BC on our side in one news clip? Who's our leader that can convey this message?

I'm playing devils advocate here because we've all seen how the news can spin things and getting any bad press can really hurt our cause. Perhaps a conversation should be had prior to the protest? Some talking points should be established. Let's agree on what the message is, in 280 characters or less.

Hi Rain City,

Some great points and from my experience dealing on fish issues with the media, what you say about a short concise argument is very important, unless you have a reporter who's doing full story and has some experience writing these type of things. I have done a lot of radio and newspaper interviews and even a couple TV news stories, so have a fair amount of experience.

We have a very well spoken and knowledgeable speaker for the protest. We will have media release coming out on Monday, that will be short and concise as you say.

We have been working on couple slogans and we're open to further suggestions. Please keep them respectful and to the point. We will have some signs to hand out at the protest and do encourage others to brings signs as long as they're vulgar or staying on point with our message for the protest. We also encourage people to dress up and bring some noise makers.

Here's a couple we have come up with:
  • Fraser Chinook Need Real Action. Not Politics!
  • Stop the Political Action on Chinook!
  • Rec Fishers Don't Catch Endangered Fraser Chinook!
  • Rebuild Fraser Chinook Stocks the Right Way!
  • Follow the Science. Not Politics!
  • Stop the Political Bargaining with Chinook!
  • Stop Your Political Pandering with Chinook!
  • Sustainable Recovery, Sustainable Opportunity!
Feel free to give us any respectful suggestions for other ones or feedback?

All other groups have in their demands,but where are ours, it obviously should not be about being able to kill a f_cking chinook and if it is we have already lost. The closures are in and they will not be reversed and if by some miracle they are is that what we really want?
I believe that would open up the Fraser to a gill net slaughter and a race to the finish of all Fraser runs.
We all know this is all a complete farce that is not supported by any science and is a deal made with the natives to keep them off the river, and we all know the nets will still be out from native and non native poachers.
I believe our demand needs to be about completely BANNING ALL GILL NETTING on the Fraser river. Let's pick this one issue and drive it home and I believe the public will buy into it as soon as they see how these nets kill everything indiscriminately. We need signs with pictures of dead baby sturgeon and all the abandoned nets full of dead fish.
Let's put all of our energy into this one thing and actually make a change that will one day benifit the future generations.
I keep hearing all the conspiracy theories going on behind DFOs doors and some are probably true but I have to believe they want these nets out of the water as much as us but there hands are politically tied and in order to accomplish this feat would require the public to shut it down.
This isn't just about up until July 15th, because after that date the nets will be out in full force and guess what the next closures will be chum,coho etc..
Once the nets are banned enforcement becomes a million times easier.
My idea before was a go fund me to start some type class action and I still believe we need that.
With this as our forefront message we could have actual protests that would be supported by the public and not paint us as the entitled bad guys who just want to have the opportunity to kill fish. We are demanding actual conservation in the name of saving not only the fish but also the whales.
This will take funding and at least one full time position to work on it daily while not worrying about working so we would need to pay that person's salary.
I had this idea before and there were crickets but in my mind this is the one thing out of a multitude of issues (habitat restoration, pinniped populations etc...) that consists of a clear concise path that will make a tremendous difference.
We could have cash rewards that come out of the fund to pay for video proof of illegal netting and start doing serious surveillance. There are loads of avenues that can branch off this one idea but they all require funding and lots of it.
I mentioned voting and picking one individual to head this and pay him to do it.
This is probably all for not and again crickets but I truly believe this is our only path forward.
Cheers

I believe our demand needs to be about completely BANNING ALL GILL NETTING on the Fraser river. Let's pick this one issue and drive it home and I believe the public will buy into it as soon as they see how these nets kill everything indiscriminately. We need signs with pictures of dead baby sturgeon and all the abandoned nets full of dead fish.
Let's put all of our energy into this one thing and actually make a change that will one day benifit the future generations.

This is the message:

-Ban all gill netting[don't even contemplate mentioning FN]
-Habitat restoration
-Save the salmon on a united front for all parties involved, Whales, FN, Commies, Public Fishery, and future generations[our children]. Together we will conquer, divided we will fail

Show that we want the same thing that's being advertised/fed to the general public now, but that what/how its being done will not bare the intended results. Make people question the methods and the science for themselves. We can't be a group of whiny middle aged [white privileged] upper middle class rednecks and expect any positive results

Last edited:
How about
Public fishers support science based conservation
Public fishers rehabilitate streams
Public fishers volunteer at Hatcheries
Public fishers are prepared to SHARE the pain
Public fishers don’t use gill nets
Landing nets not gill nets.
Public fishers buy licenses and Conservation stamps.
Conservation yes, closure no!

How about
Public fishers support science based conservation
Public fishers rehabilitate streams
Public fishers volunteer at Hatcheries
Public fishers are prepared to SHARE the pain
Public fishers don’t use gill nets
Landing nets not gill nets.
Public fishers buy licenses and Conservation stamps.
Conservation yes, closure no!

way better wording than REC Fishers
how about Canadian Public Fishers

Getting gillnets out of the Fr. River should refer specifically to chinook and whatever mesh size to allow appropriate fisheries during sockeye abundance.

Getting gillnets out of the Fr. River should refer specifically to chinook and whatever mesh size to allow appropriate fisheries during sockeye abundance.
Agree, but it’s hard to get all that onto a sign.

Should be for all Gillnets no exceptions out of the Fraser River, and promote fish wheels and weirs going forward to selectively harvest what is deemed to be a sustainable harvest of specific types of fish for FN FSC. Only way to monitor by public without always getting the excuse it was a DFO endorsed Gillnet fishery and constantly bullshitting the Public. As for entitled "bad guys who just want to have the opportunity to kill fish" how about public fishers who just want to catch and eat a Wild Salmon.

@cohochinook
Thank you for organizing this event. No matter what signs we put up, this protest is going to send a message of protest to DFO as well a message to us public fishermen and women that we are capable of organizing ourselves under one united band.
My general comment is that we should broaden the vocabulary of our messages just so it related to the average guy on the street. Like what RC pointed out, the average guy doesn’t even know what a hatchery does for salmon, difference between a gil net and other type of nets or even what species of pacific salmon are out there! Believe me, I talk to a lot of well educated people who buy their wild pacific salmon (chum) from Costco but then they find a “better deal “ for “fresher salmon “ from their “local indian guy who delivers to my home for cheaper”. And then you need to educate them on the basics...
What you already have is good. I’d just add a couple more that speaks to “salmon conservation “ instead of Fraser “Chinook” and that we want this resource for our future generations and children and that’s the main concern of the public fishing community.

My 0.2 for what it’s worth.

Should be for all Gillnets no exceptions out of the Fraser River, and promote fish wheels and weirs going forward to selectively harvest what is deemed to be a sustainable harvest of specific types of fish for FN FSC. Only way to monitor by public without always getting the excuse it was a DFO endorsed Gillnet fishery and constantly bullshitting the Public. As for entitled "bad guys who just want to have the opportunity to kill fish" how about public fishers who just want to catch and eat a Wild Salmon.
Not all legit sockeye gillnetters are indigenous, even if they only get to fish once in 4 years and can barely afford to paint and fuel for their boats. Why screw them even more?

Allowing any gillnets is garbage at times when weak stocks are passing through.
And now With the steady decline of almost every Fraser stock their is always weak stocks passing through.
How many strong stocks migrate past Hope now?

If you think a mesh size will make a difference you are wishful thinking...
So many of our springs that return to the Fraser are in the 8-15lb range.
These get absolutely raped by a sockeye grid!

Will be awesome to see our return that magically doesn't show up in numbers in 4years!

Yep it's tricky.
I remember when the FN guys around Richmond and Ladner were given one day a week to get some chinook food fish starting in April. Nobody had a problem with that. It wasn't just Sparrow that changed it for the worst. Greed.

Yep it's tricky.
I remember when the FN guys around Richmond and Ladner were given one day a week to get some chinook food fish starting in April. Nobody had a problem with that. It wasn't just Sparrow that changed it for the worst. Greed.
It can't be "tricky" going through this brutal process. It has to be honest, transparent, and monitored otherwise this is all for nothing. No one is going to care about streamkeepers, hatchery volunteers, and all the rest of it if the fish are just going into the Gillnets on there way to spawn.

There is a big difference between a set (anchored) gillnet and a free drifting gillnet. Lots of studies done on set gillnets showing why they should not be a method used for harvesting salmon. Non selective and too many fish die and fall out.

I for one don’t support all gillnets gone as this effectively shuts down any sockeye gillnetting by legitimate commercial fishermen. Using the right sized gillnet in certain targeted fisheries does not impact Chinook salmon. Don’t shut everything down because of what is happening upriver.

There is a big difference between a set (anchored) gillnet and a free drifting gillnet. Lots of studies done on set gillnets showing why they should not be a method used for harvesting salmon. Non selective and too many fish die and fall out.

I for one don’t support all gillnets gone as this effectively shuts down any sockeye gillnetting by legitimate commercial fishermen. Using the right sized gillnet in certain targeted fisheries does not impact Chinook salmon. Don’t shut everything down because of what is happening upriver.
The problem with that is legally if legitimate commercial fisherman are gillnetting, legitimate First Nations fisherman will also be gillnetting and that puts us right back to where we are now.

My local news media friend would like to know:

- Who is the official spokesperson(s)?

- Will there be a formal press release available?

- Is there an official website that readers and viewers can be directed to? - Due to anonymity of the users here, this forum cannot be used as an official source.

Back