Proposal By DFO - Changes to Prawn Daily Rec. Limit Being Considered

Packing up and going out solo wouldn’t even be worth it anymore.
You’d also need need to bring your neighbor’s kids and get a fishing licence for your dog to make it worth while :’(

No kidding hey. One of the main reasons I wanted a bigger boat was to be able to come out to the coast in the spring when the water is a bit roughter and get out for some prawning and winter spring fishing,, Man alive not sure what they expect people out there to do for a living, they protest every industry that wants to build out there and are shutting down the rec fishing there goes a good chunk of the tourist base,, what the heck are yah all going to live on, love and rainbows,, blows me away.
I mean really, we get another post up from the GROUP looking for a petition sighned to stop a project going into one of the regions that will be hit hard with these fishing shut downs. People are pissed off the communities are going to die and at the same time fighting to keep 400 full time jobs out of the region. What a conundrum.

Thanks, DFO for the “efficient management of Canadian fisheries resources”
The minister and his herd definitely deserve the Nobel prize in idiocy and incompetency. I’m going to write to my MP tonight. Internet whining isn’t the solution, boys and gals.

How do they know that recreational prawning has increased over the years? Has anyone ever been asked how many prawns they caught in a year?

A major point about prawn fishing is being missed here. There is a substantial and year long fishery occurring for prawns using commercial gear that is affecting the prawn biomas. Talk to any commercial prawner about this fleet. And then ask DFO for the numbers. It’s just not right.

50% cut on sport prawns , more quota for natives and commy's just like Yellow eye on the WCVI.
50% cut on Springs
One ping pong paddle hali…
So now its all for natives and Commercial, just like the east coast!

Catch em while you can cuz I’m betting 5 years left at the current rate of reductions. Look where we were just 3 years ago on almost all species. And then look at it now.

Anybody looking to buy a small stainless fab shop and materials? Get it now while there’s still fishing boats to build stuff for.

Last edited:
Again, enforcement is being used as the reason for our cutback?

That is not a valid reason!

A major point about prawn fishing is being missed here. There is a substantial and year long fishery occurring for prawns using commercial gear that is affecting the prawn biomas. Talk to any commercial prawner about this fleet. And then ask DFO for the numbers. It’s just not right.

Most of you are loosing focus again. DFO just through in a monkey wrench. No matter how you slice it and dice it...all fishing sectors MUST develop a respectful, mutually beneficial working relationship with one another to help find solutions that can work for all. Stop focusing on what you don't want. Work on the long term gain(s) in creating lasting partnerships between all fishing sectors. It's the only path forward. Sad, but very real.
I spent 35 years as a successful commercial fisherman and another 10 running a lodge in the Charlottes and the above statement is the smartest thing I have ever read on the internet. I said the same thing in regards to halibut allocation when I was President of the PHMA

This is DFO managing again by perception. Faith Based Science in action - they don't provide any analysis to support their claim that the recreational fishery is out of control - no numbers, no catch data, no comparative analysis to show the commercial catch has been severely impacted by an increasing rec catch. Nothing.

What DFO won't tell you is that in the 1990's they created the problem. They allowed a 300% increase in the number of commercial prawn licenses. They created the over-capacity. Moreover, they allowed a highly mobile fleet to develop with no control over how fast the fleet can move from place to place. So in season, the fast boats can be moved great distances to hit even more areas in a gold rush fishery. No longer are the local prawn fishers encouraged to tend the garden and not over-fish their area. DFO long ago should have put in place area licenses to restrict movement from place to place. Only then would fishers not fish down the prawn population until it was wiped out.

Prawns don't move around, so once you fish out an area it will take a long time for them to come back. These new boats that move around quickly allow a fisher to move very quickly from place to place once they clean out an area with little consequence or skin in the game to properly tend the garden.

So what is happening here is the Commercial catch is crashing due to the Commercial over-capacity, and the only way for DFO to manage their way out of the bed they crapped in, is to take away the rec catch and fill the gap. Its a false economy, and left alone DFO and the Commercial fleet will manage to zero. Only then will we see a fleet rationalization to reduce effort/capacity.

East coast cod fishery is a lesson not learned.
2 words: Laurie Convey...

I don't agree with cutting bag limits for spot prawns but I really wish they would add a regulation that says all recreational crab and prawn traps MUST be pulled before sunset.

There's no need for overnight fishing. If you can't get your traps the day you set them pick another day to fish. This change alone would greatly reduce the number of rec traps in the water and therefor reduce the number of prawns/crabs caught.

I don't agree with cutting bag limits for spot prawns but I really wish they would add a regulation that says all recreational crab and prawn traps MUST be pulled before sunset.

There's no need for overnight fishing. If you can't get your traps the day you set them pick another day to fish. This change alone would greatly reduce the number of rec traps in the water and therefor reduce the number of prawns/crabs caught.

And theft

Is that what’s being proposed for crab? Or is it just that you can’t pull traps at night but folks can continue to soak them overnight?

Cheers!

Ukee

Lol... show us the numbers please...

4-5 yrs ago I watched for a week + at least, trucks, even 18 wheelers come in to the Comox docks to haul away prawns from the fleet of boats here (many Vietnam modern aluminum rigs). That is anecdote observation but this just seemed very out of proportion to the amount of ocean for prawning. I have never seen that degree of truck fleet again at these docks. But they still come .. .less of them. We need a package deal. Super depleted BC... fish, forests, wildlife ... it is happening too fast.

Be aware, this was not discussed with the SFAB.

Just like Salmon no discussion.

Back