canning smoked salmon

sir-vivor

Hey guys,
I have a few pounds of smoked salmon and it has been in the freezer for about 4 months.
Do you think I could can it ?
If yes do you still can it at 11lbs ?
How long you keep it in caner ?
If ya done it would like to hear how it turned out
Thanks

Hey guys,
I have a few pounds of smoked salmon and it has been in the freezer for about 4 months.
Do you think I could can it ?
If yes do you still can it at 11lbs ?
How long you keep it in caner ?
If ya done it would like to hear how it turned out
Thanks
I have canned smoked salmon many times. If it has had a full smoking and drying in the smoker it will end up with a more intense smoked flavor and the pieces will be dry compared to fresh. Not as good for eating pieces but would be fine for making dips or other uses.
You have to can the smoked salmon with the same processing times and pressure as you would fresh salmon.
...Rob

I would ask myself, are the preparation and processing times worth the effort. If as you say you only have a few pounds, I would think not. But as Rob mentioned it is done quite often. Good Luck;) eman

I would ask myself, are the preparation and processing times worth the effort. If as you say you only have a few pounds, I would think not. But as Rob mentioned it is done quite often. Good Luck;) eman

Was going to add it to the 30-40 lbs of fresh salmon filets I want to clean up from this past season, ya canning just a few pounds of fish would never be worth it by it self lol .

Thanks for responses,

Just wondering what it would taste like to can 3/4 jar of fresh salmon and 1/4 jar with smoked ...... ?
Secondly, has anyone mixed salmon, like a Chinook and Sockeye ...... ?

Have canned a ton of salmon but never experimented , but don't want to ruin it if someone knows it won't work ... info appreciated ...Thanks

Well that certainly changes your initial question considerably. lol I have tried someone else's regular canned salmon with a small amount of smoked salmon added and it was very good as long as you don't mind all your canned salmon to have a smoky taste. As far as mixing coho with springs, I have tried it myself and hardly if at all detected the difference. Other than the texture of the individual piece. Canning has a way of harmonizing flavors somewhat. I see no problems with your theory's. Good Luck.;) eman

I also meant to say, although I consider myself to be quite learned in the craft of smoking and canning. There is a great gift of member knowledge on these subjects on this site that could enlighten you further. I'm sure they will correct or add to your queries if they feel they can be of help.;) eman

Thanks eaglemanic, yup for me it's that time of year, boat upgrades and bounty prep / eating and now experimenting lol ...appreciate the feed back...Thanks

Years ago, after a week at Rivers Inlet, I had about 50 lbs. to can. A buddy gave me some year old smoked salmon & told me to put a finger sized piece in each can to add flavour. Delicious! Most of my family got canned salmon for Xmas that year. We had requests for more from almost everyone. We had enough of the smoked fish to do less than half of the cans. Wished we'd had more, once we tasted both.

Well that certainly changes your initial question considerably. lol I have tried someone else's regular canned salmon with a small amount of smoked salmon added and it was very good as long as you don't mind all your canned salmon to have a smoky taste. As far as mixing coho with springs, I have tried it myself and hardly if at all detected the difference. Other than the texture of the individual piece. Canning has a way of harmonizing flavors somewhat. I see no problems with your theory's. Good Luck.;) eman
I have a friend who regularly cans his salmon with a small amount of smoked salmon added to it. His family and friends love it this way. I'm not sure how much you need to add but it won't be much, you could experiment a bit to figure it out. Your canned fish texture now will be similar to standard canned salmon but with a nice smoked salmon flavour added.
Good luck. Rob

I did a one hour cold smoke on half my canned salmon this year and both my wife and I like the flavor much better than the regular one. Not overly smokey just kissed.

I like to add a small chunk of smoked to the jar before canning fresh salmon. Gives a nice mild smoky flavour.

Back