Any one using an I Pad or Tablet as a Second station display

Mike park

Hi Guy's looking at adding a second screen on the back deck 0f my 2359.
I have at present a Garmin 7408 on the helm and I found a Garmin 7407 that I could mount on the back deck and link/ pair the 2 to have both view the same chart and transducer.
I was told that could also be done with a tablet as well, can anyone explain how that works , you can get a much bigger screen with a tablet for the same dollar compared to the chart plotter/sounder.
Pros Cons any help would be great..
Thanks In advance

tried a forum search but it threw an error

Last edited:
I have seen this often and something easily touted and used for multi purposes.
You can purchase and download maps and apps online. The same that is purchased for Sounders. The benafits are
Larger displays instead of split screens.
Often thought of this and now just recently upgrading to an s9 with a bonus
Note E wil most likely be doing just that..

Thanks Marko I have lot's to learn on this idea. lots of questions . is it linked through WiFi, do you need service to connect, do you need a tablet with cellular to get GPS any help would be great
Thanks Mike

You need a blu tooth GPS receiver. I use a Garmin Glo, but there are many other manufacturers.

Hi Guy's looking at adding a second screen on the back deck 0f my 2359.
I have at present a Garmin 7408 on the helm and I found a Garmin 7407 that I could mount on the back deck and link/ pair the 2 to have both view the same chart and transducer.
I was told that could also be done with a tablet as well, can anyone explain how that works , you can get a much bigger screen with a tablet for the same dollar compared to the chart plotter/sounder.
Pros Cons any help would be great..
Thanks In advance

tried a forum search but it threw an error

I use the navionics app on my iPad mini. I pair it with a garmin glo GPS puck via Bluetooth.

Works great as a back up. I often use it as I scout out fishing areas and contours on navionics and mark them to try when I'm out there.

I use a ram mount. Keep it plugged in tho, battery won't last to long.

I know quite a few guys using this set up.

I use the navionics app on my iPad mini. I pair it with a garmin glo GPS puck via Bluetooth.

Works great as a back up. I often use it as I scout out fishing areas and contours on navionics and mark them to try when I'm out there.

I use a ram mount. Keep it plugged in tho, battery won't last to long.

I know quite a few guys using this set up.

so if your ipad has 3g/4g cellular it will have gps . would that not eliminate the need for the gps puck

Thanks Thats what I'm reading looking at IPads , there are lot's of choices how much storage space to you need to store Navionics app. and charts
I have an older 64 GB I pad without cellular. I run all kinds of apps, including navionics as well as garmin blue charts. Lots of music, photos etc etc. Have used it as a back up on my boat, with a garmin glo ($100 IIRC). Works great. No issues with storage.

You will not need the GPS puck if your iPad has the 3g as it has GPS built in.you would be fine with the minimum storage space as well the app doesn't require much space. Viewing in the the sun can be a problem though

Should do...GPS is GPS. I did something similar myself, although even cheaper.

I bought a galaxy tab from a US carrier that basically uses the devices as loss leaders to get people to commit to their subscription data. Surprise, company...I don't need the data. $100 tablet with GPS, Navionics app, and a $10 power adapter that I hardwired into the main bus.

When I purchased my last IPAD I asked the salesman if the built in GPS is as good as using the Garmin Glo (which I already owned). He said that the built in GPS would not be as fast. The Garmin Glo uses U.S. GPS and the Russian
GLONASS system that refreshes your positition 1o times per second. It also works great in my truck. Galileo is a
European sat system. My point is, you will probably have better accuracy wit an add on receiver, like a Garmin or Bad .Elf, or others do some research.

Only one issue not mentioned here is the
water proof factor....most are not.
But as one did mention I did get the
Note E for entry free as a signing bonus
And they are relatively inexpensive.

Now bring on the boat show....!

Three things that are less than ideal with using an iPad as a second station;

1. Daylight/Sunlight visibility of the iPad screen is not as good as a dedicated MFD. The screen just washes out in direct sunlight
2. At salmon trolling speeds, the heading of the vessel on the iPad has either the boat icon or the chart itself changing orientation all the time. With the MFD if you have a autopilot and associated heading sensor (compass type sensor) you won't get that problem on your MFD because the MFD uses heading from the heading sensor, not a GPS calculation. Perhaps the GLO provides quicker GPS position updates thereby eliminating this problem. This problem made is unusable for me as a second station in the past.
3. Not all tablets are waterproof. Easy to lose one in wet conditions.

I have Raymarine stuff on the boat, that puts out a bluetooth signal. Used and Ipad for my rear display for a couple years, but the display was very hard to see in bright sun (and also has a highly reflective screen). This year I went to a dedicated Raymarine MFD for the rear display. As expected, much better results. So my bottom line is the Ipad worked for less money, but am glad I finally upgraded.

Back