2018 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Fished Pill yesterday afternoon for our first crack at the area this year. Couple shakers to show for our effort.
Anchovies, coho killer and hoochies were tried from 40 - 70 deep.
Marked bait and saw about 7 fish netted.
Swale Tuesday....

Great 3 days fishing at Swale ! Had a buddy come up the first day but then it was just me and my son for the last 2 days. This was the first time fishing the westcoast with my son just the two of us. First day when my buddy was up we got 3 nice springs and a couple really nice coho. Second day and first day with just my son and it didnt go so well. We snagged a downrigger on bottom playing the first fish of the day, then lost the fish and the canon ball. After that we proceeded to lose 6 more springs and only managed a couple tiny coho to the boat. The 3rd day turned around completely and we got our limit of springs right away and were headed home for breakfast. Really proud of my son, he has very tired arms but is still grinning from ear to ear ! All fish caught between 30-45 feet on anchovies and Skinny G - herring aide...biggest was maybe 18lbs and the rest between 12 -15.

View attachment 39880
Incredible report and congrats to you and your son!!!
This is what fishing is all about and I hope and prey your son will be holding fish like that for the rest of his life as us old timers enjoyed.
I hope the powers that be see pics like this before they take the lazy route of simply closing our recreational fishery because now we have the opportunity to rehab our streams, protect our wild stocks and increase our hatchery program for the benefit of all our stakeholders

20180825_101322.jpg View attachment 39918 View attachment 39918 Just did my first trip to Bamfield over the weekend. We stayed three nights at the Seabeam. Loved it. My kind of place. I went with my lady friend fishing partner and we stayed in one of the cabins, which was great. First day, we managed two springs, a 12 and a fifteen. The first fish was hooked in the first fifteen minutes in Eagles Bay, at 28 feet on a glow anchovie teaser and lemon lime flasher. Second fish was caught just below Dixon's on the way in at 35 feet on BCOSP teaser head and purple haze flasher. Day two, well, I ripped of a cannon ball at Kelp Bay....my fault, was not paying attention, so we were down to one rigger. Caught a couple of shakers and trolled a plug on the other rod. After fixing my rigger, we decided to try Beale for the flood tide, but it was way to lumpy so we dropped our bottom gear at Seapool for about forty minutes and caught a big vermillion and a nice keeper ling. Our last day, managed a nice fat 17 pound spring along the wall at 28 feet on a glow anchovie teaser and lemon lime flasher. Also caught a nice 12 pound coho on the outside of Kelp Bay at 55 feet on a bloody nose teaser and purple and gold flasher.
Now it doesn't sound like a lot of fish for three days of fishing, but we really only fished from first light until about 10 a.m., as my lady has MS so I don't try pushing her endurance. For us, this is a fishing get away. Summer time is my busy time at work, so any day on the water is fun for us. I said before we started, if we brought home four salmon, I would be a real happy guy. Expectations met, and then some. Loved Seabeam, loved talking to other guests and the staff there are awesome.

Last edited:
Limited on Chinook over the past 2 days before noon. Swale and harbour entrance. Lots of boats, fish and nets. Anchovies 30 - 50 feet. No coho unfortunately. Fish in the 12 - 20 lb range.
Hey BigBruce. It's the neighbors. We r staying at McKay Bay until Thurs. U still here?

Finished our 8 days of fishing , with limits of way smaller than average springs 12 - 18 lbs, the last three days , in the clearer new water the coho started to show up in fair numbers really nice 9-12 lbs. absolutely my fav fish for eating .so we got a couple each , more than pleased .We only get one trip a year so all fish are nice for us . while down there one of my newer partners thought he would help me out with the fish finder and now i have lost all of my waypoints , would someone help me out and respond with the waypoints for 5 and 7 mile , i would appreciate it very much , 7 mile would be the limit for me in my little boat , if it is calm ! Thank you kindly someone.

... now i have lost all of my waypoints , would someone help me out and respond with the waypoints for 5 and 7 mile , i would appreciate it very much , 7 mile would be the limit for me in my little boat , if it is calm ! Thank you kindly someone.
Here are some waypoints that Charlie provided several years ago:
Austin Island/Barkley Sound/Salmon/N48 51.569 W125 18.616
Cree Island/Barkley Sound/Chinook, Coho/N48 51.103 W125 19.517
Great Bear - Alley Rocks/Barkley Sound/Chinook/N48 53.635 W125 26.830
Kirby Point /Barkley Sound/Chinook, Sockeye/N48 50.923 W125 12.578
Lighthouse Bank: N48 53.833 W125 41.107
Pachena Point/Barkley Sound/Chinook, Halibut/N48 42.041 W125 06.956
Rats Nose/Barkley Sound/Chinook, Coho, Halibut/N48 35.500 W125 39.300
Swale Rock/Barkley Sound/Chinook, Sockeye/N48 55.443 W125 13.142
Barttlet Channel/Tofino/Chinook, Coho, Crab/N49 14.488 W126 04.000
Barttlet Island/Tofino/Chinook, Coho, Crab/N49 12.893 W126 06.029
Blunden/Tofino/Chinook/N49 10.789 W126 04.533
Cleland Island/Tofino/Chinook, Coho/N49 10.069 W126 05.625
Tofino/Crab/N49 01.971 W125 49.226
Tofino/Halibut/N49 08.262 W126 08.918
Portland Point/Tofino/Chinook, Coho/N49 03.731 W125 50.879
Tofino/Crab/N49 00.282 W125 49.114
7 Mile/Ucluelet/Chinook, Coho, Halibut/N48 44.500 W125 16.800
Big Bank/Ucluelet/Chinook, Coho, Halibut/N48 38.532 W125 46.779
Eagles Nest/Ucluelet/Chinook/N48 57.755 W125 36.371
Outside South Bank/Ucluelet/Chinook, Coho, Halibut/N48 48.907 W125 38.533
South Bank/Ucluelet/Chinook, Coho, Halibut/N48 50.344 W125 34.938
Wya Point/Ucluelet/Chinook/N48 58.424 W125 37.025

Someone else may be able to provide 5 & 7 mile off Bamfield.

pretty easy for the 5 and 7... use your gps and measure 5-7 mile off cape beale.. almost straight out towards the nose.

Hey guys I’m heading out to Bamfield tomorrow for 5 days. I’ll probably be hitting all the usual spots inside and if the weather is
Good maybe take a run to the bank. Has anyone been off shore lately is it worth the run? I’m also taking my mom and sister who have never been to Bamfield and they love to jig for bottom fish. If some of you who frequent the sound wouldn’t mind sending me a DM with some starting points it would be much appreciated definitely not looking for you to give up your secrets to a stranger but it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. Tight lines

offshore is so loaded with coho, look for finning schools on the surface, if you find them, any where from 5 mile to big bank, you will almost not be able to get your second rod down... we where hand lining hook ups because we could not even get the line in the clip. when you do get on them try spoon only, lightly in the clip with very light drag set. when you hook up put the boat in neutral. this is sport fishing at its best. go out front of beale 50-80' away from the breakers, use light jigs and rod/reel... blackies everywhere.

offshore is so loaded with coho, look for finning schools on the surface, if you find them, any where from 5 mile to big bank, you will almost not be able to get your second rod down... we where hand lining hook ups because we could not even get the line in the clip. when you do get on them try spoon only, lightly in the clip with very light drag set. when you hook up put the boat in neutral. this is sport fishing at its best. go out front of beale 50-80' away from the breakers, use light jigs and rod/reel... blackies everywhere.
Might be worth throwing a light spinning rod
With a buck tail on it out there ! That would be awesome. Sorry for the high jack back to the reports

Went out to 10 mile looking for halibut. Got my one almost as soon as I stopped so only fished for an hour or so. Coho everywhere as well as dolphins & birds - lots of bait so that must have been what brought everything together. Only thing missing were whales...... Fished with a spinning rod for fun with a spoon and had a great time - about 50/50 marked and unmarked but all all catch and release as I didn't have any orders from the boss for salmon and the Halibut will keep us fed for a while. That said, I usually fish out of Nanoose and the coho fishing has been great here this year, usually as good as what I saw offshore, so the need to keep any that day wasn't high.

Hi everyone, I'm heading out to Bamfield area on Monday and I'm looking for a little advice. I'm just curious what your best teaser head flasher combos are right now? or are you having better luck on hoochies or lures? also what depths right now? any help is appreciated. Thanks

Hi everyone, I'm heading out to Bamfield area on Monday and I'm looking for a little advice. I'm just curious what your best teaser head flasher combos are right now? or are you having better luck on hoochies or lures? also what depths right now? any help is appreciated. Thanks

Just finished a 4 day trip to Ukee. We caught most of our springers on white hooches with red or purple haze flashers on the rocks. We caught most of our coho on Kokanee killers black and white, but probably could have used a dish rag and limited on them

Just finished a 4 day trip to Ukee. We caught most of our springers on white hooches with red or purple haze flashers on the rocks. We caught most of our coho on Kokanee killers black and white, but probably could have used a dish rag and limited on them
thank you very much for the info, greatly appreciated.

Lol

It was crazy, I’m sure there were springers at Big Bank, But you couldn’t weed through all the coho. We actually caught a couple of coho at Wya on the rocks.

are the coho decent in size? sounds like a nice problem !!

are the coho decent in size? sounds like a nice problem !!

Average was probably 7lbs We kept every hatchery and didn’t want to stress too many cohos out by catch and release. We caught a few over 9. And one halibut 88cm that we bounced for. We couldn’t troll for the halibut simply because the coho would hammer it on the way down

Back