Leader length for spoons

what is the best leader length from a flasher for spoons? Fishing for Chinook and coho.

I have found wen fishing for migratory Chinook,or feeder springs, starting at 60 inches seems pretty dependable. If water is really clear, 72”. Wen on terminal fisheries, I find going longer helps. I have gone 96” and longer wen fishing mid/late aug inside Barkley sound. The closer to the fresh water we got, longer seemed more productive .

Spoons have their own action, so I still start at 60” for coho but more often forget the flasher and run the spoon naked or above a dummy flasher wen coho are thick and the target.

Just my experience. The pro’s on here will know better than I.

Cheers

I can vouch for stormtroopers theory having nailed river mouth chinook on little pink spoons with a leader as short as 18 inches.

On the other hand if this is happening to you near bottom it is often hali or ling trying to swallow your flasher and sometimes foul hooking themselves in the process. Reeling up a 30 or 40 pound bottom dweller hooked in the side is not exactly fun, but it's pretty common trolling deep in some areas.

I agree with StormTrooper that when things seem slow i try different lengths. Two weeks ago in Kyuquot things were really slow so i tried a coho killer on a 3ft leader on one side a a no bananas with a 6ft leader on the other side ... the 3ft leader brought in 4 fish in a 3 hour window and the no bananas had one. All i can say is change it up and see what happens.

what is the best leader length from a flasher for spoons? Fishing for Chinook and coho.[/QUOT
This is not about leader length but I didn't know how to start a new thread.
I'm just wondering whether the experts on here change out the factory hooks their spoons come with and if so what's your preferred style?

Back