Why are you a better fisherman?

Foxsea

We all want to catch fish. But clearly, some are doing that well while others are often frustrated.

There are hundreds of members here. You have no doubt noticed that the same people are submitting reports again and again. Of the factors discussed in these reports, the key factors are location, tides, type of lure, speed and depth. I would guess the people who write in their reports are doing other, more subtle things too. Like perhaps using scent.

In my case, if I'm not catching I'm always experimenting: watching the sounder, trying different depths, changing lures, changing tacks. I only pull up and move if nothing seems to work.

What do you do? What are the "secrets" that improve your likelihood of being at the cleaning table?

Like with anything if you come from a family that is proficient in the activity you are setting out to learn it gives you a huge head start on those who have to start from scratch on their own. Doesn't matter if its fishing, team sports, academics etc. I was lucky to have a grandfather who took me under his wing and got me into fishing at an early age. I took to it and had my own boat by the age of 13 years.

I find I'm better at fishing the conditions now. Uv/chartruse for sunny days. Glo for dark deep fishing. Shallow in the am. Deeper later in the day. Sharp hooks are huge! Uv flashlight to charge up flashers. When to use long leaders.. that sort of thing. Takes time. Still learning too! Tell me more!

All fishermen are liars. Plain and simple. And I really do mean that. Lying is just part of fishing. Lies, exaggerations, misdirection, omissions, that's all just fishin'. The only thing you can trust from any fisherman is that they're lying to you.

You're going to hear a bunch of people squawking about skill, talent, or having a secret lure. Watch how emotional and jealous some get when they see others catching fish and they're not. Then watch the same person gloat when they're top rod that day. Look how secretive and covetous people are with information, locations, lures, any sort of detail about the fish they caught. Look at how competitive they are, if you caught a 15, they caught a 17, if you caught one, they caught two. Its all ego, and it makes these people exceptionally vulnerable to believing the lies they're told by other anglers, simply because they lie themselves. Lies are a tactic used to get people to tell the truth. You can tell people a 'fish story' which is complete BS, and then they'll tell you one that's true just to match your story, or exceed it. Fishermen know this, and we all lie to each other. We either do it consciously or subconsciously.

But what people will never account for is what a huge factor just plain dumb luck plays in catching any fish. Because the majority of fishing is just that: luck. Now, there is a lot of things that go in to being lucky. First, you have to go fishing enough. You have to go fishing enough to get an idea of where the fish are. You have to go fishing enough to know when the fish go on the bite. You have to go fishing enough to know what lure, fly or bait works best. You have to go fishing enough to know the tides, currents, river levels, lake activity. You have to go fishing enough to have your gear squared away. I'm sure the list goes on and on. But, in spite of all of that you can still go fishing and happen to just get lucky. If you don't go fishing, you won't get lucky. The more fishing you do, the more chances at being lucky there are.

So the best way to catch more fish? Go fishing more often then lie to others about how many fish you catch.

Returning to the chuck after nearly 30yrs, I am back to grade one, the game has changed , anyone live mooch anymore :) Moved to CR and have found people bend over backwards to help you out ... different story on LM gong show rivers ..

The fishing has changed , and no doubt the stock is in trouble.. We best enjoy it now as soon, I suspect we will be limited on our opportunities..

I try lots of different things. I like to fish areas I have fished before with success. I remember the things that caught fish for me, tides, time of day, time of year, depths, what I caught fish on before. But I have been getting out over the last few years fishing new areas. I like to pay attention to local knowledge in particular. I ask questions when I see successful fishermen. I like to experiment with new lures, try different depths, maybe change up trolling speeds.....all kinds of things. That has paid off for me

... If you don't go fishing, you won't get lucky. The more fishing you do, the more chances at being lucky there are.

So the best way to catch more fish? Go fishing more often then lie to others about how many fish you catch.

Funny post - fishermen do exaggerate, for sure but this part, about time on the water, is a huge factor in success. I've fished with lots of good guys and they are all pretty forthcoming on what works for them and they all put the time in. I'm lucky because I'm retired now and can spend time on the water. We are heading to Poett Nook in a few days so I'll let you know how lucky I was ... or I'll make something up! lol

I don’t agree that fishing success is mostly luck.
The top rods don’t produce day after day from being lucky.
They are successful because they are confident and knowledgeable.

Networking and lots of time on the water is huge advantage for guides.
I’m not a guide but have built a decent network and try to get current info before I go. Mostly what I need to know is what time was the bite recently and depth.

Changing up and experimenting with gear is good but some people get carried away. Stick with what and where you know works.
I’ll experiment regularly in slow times with one rod but the other will be proven gear at proven depth.

I read reports here from people who regularly struggle saying I trolled from Beecher to Otter and back, tried everything in the box and all depths.
They’d be better off sticking to a smaller area and fishing what makes sense in that spot.

I blame most of my bad days in bad vibes on board. The more uptight my crew is the less likely we are to catch fish. Best fishing days we are relaxed and laughing.

The bites not always on. Gotta stick and stay sometimes. Be confident and wait it out.

Fishing is a game of odds.
Do everything you can to increase your odds. Then stick to it. Be confident.

Me too. Lotsa different areas. One rod always has proven tackle. Others I change up periodically. Fishing the same area works too. I’m typically “luckiest” after 2-3 trips to a new spot.

I try lots of different things. I like to fish areas I have fished before with success. I remember the things that caught fish for me, tides, time of day, time of year, depths, what I caught fish on before. But I have been getting out over the last few years fishing new areas. I like to pay attention to local knowledge in particular. I ask questions when I see successful fishermen. I like to experiment with new lures, try different depths, maybe change up trolling speeds.....all kinds of things. That has paid off for me

I moved from stacking 4 rods to 2 rods years ago and found a significant increase in numbers. I think that it is part due to the fact that I can focus more on 2 rods. As has been said, detail is a key feature of success. Rods are checked often to rid them of slime, shakers, etc. I have found more landings by staying under power and controlling the boat for whomever is playing the fish. This also helps move the boat out of the way of others. Be prepared so lines are in the water as often as possible - I keep 2 lines/rods ready in case one or both of the ones been fished need to be worked on.

I find it more enjoyable to help anglers out as much as I possibly can...seeing others succeed on helpful tips and tricks, techniques and spots that I have provided to them, is way more enjoyable to me than providing a pot full of BS. The angler is more often than not appreciative and thankful, and always shares they're gratitude with a truthful report back to me. So in the long and the short of it, You get what you give

But, you work in a fishing shop. Which means you're a repository of local information and reports. People will give you information in exchange for information. Often, they're trying to impress you. So its something to consider when people are telling fish stories. When talking in a fishing shop, you have to know the employees are going to tell everyone your story. So its going to be a general story, vague in details, with lots of omissions. My ears are always peeled when in any fishing shop because there's always some fog horn who will roll in with a boastful story. Many times I've been tipped off to new spots and lures just by browsing the store while Captain Shiner beaks off about his success to the shop.

I don’t agree that fishing success is mostly luck.
The top rods don’t produce day after day from being lucky.
They are successful because they are confident and knowledgeable.

There's always the guy who will deny that they got lucky. The confidence and knowledge comes from trial and error and time on the water. The more fishing you do, the more you will dial in on what works (unless you're completely out to lunch) and the more luck you will have in catching fish. If we do everything 'right' there still has to be a fish in that spot at that moment that wants to bite your hook. A lot of that boils off to just basic luck.

Q: "Why are you a better fisherman?"
A: I'm not, lol

That said, I think I do alright and always come home with something to show for the day. For me it comes down to continuously learning, and experimenting. It is rare that I go out, even to familiar grounds, without first reading forums, trolling Facebook groups, raiding Instagram for clues (is that a large green splatterback hoochie I spy in the background of the photo??), diving into historical reports for similar times of year and conditions, and talking to the local shop and guides. People say fishing comes down to luck, and to some extent that is true, but your odds go way up if you do your homework. For me I typically tend to leapfrog my lures. I've got enough fish in the freezer that I am not panicked to limit out. Instead I will run one rod that I know is working well, and another experiment rod running different depth/lure/leader etc.

I'm 6th generation BC coast and am fortunate enough to have spent time on the water with my grandparents fishing when I was much younger. I didn't get out there and fish myself until decades later (Salty Alice is my first boat and is less than 12 months old) but those lessons from when I was a kid certainly seem to guide me to places and methods that "feel right".

Bottom line for me is that I enjoy fishing primarily because it is a lifelong pursuit of learning. I know I will never be perfect but I look forward to being a student each and every time I hit the water.

There was a recent Nick Offerman video that alludes to this. Check it out at:

I hate it when people say boy are you ever “lucky”. Be it about the fish I caught, my home, my vehicles, my boat, etc, etc. Read, watch and pay attention to what others are doing/using/saying. All information is useful, go out and try it, prove it as BS or
usefull. The harder you work at it, the luckier you will be.

I'm a better fisherman because I like to experiment with the unconventional and go against the norm and not always follow the tired - but well intentioned remarks from others such as: "Well we have always fished this way and caught fish." Meanwhile they come home empty handed...

Pay attention to detail
Doh.gif

“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” Wayne Gretzky. The correlation between working hard, taking a risk, maintaining a growth mindset and the other side of the graph, is luck.

The delicate balance between having fun and paying close attention to detail. Is fishing art or science? I guess my answer to the question in the original post is just more questions.

The best fisherman are the ones that Keep to themselves and close friends.They dont post every fish, hit or lost fish on multi media. These guys fish for fishing and don't care about the internet fame. Usually follow in the same ethics their leaders and teachers taught them. Too many heros now that think they are great, because they caught a fish on help from someone else and zero personal effort to get better.
These same top rods will always be willing to help somebody who wants to learn.

Last edited:
The best fisherman are the ones that Keep to themselves and close friends.They dont post every fish, hit or lost fish on multi media. These guys fish for fishing and don't care about the internet fame. Usually follow in the same ethics their leaders and teachers taught them. Too many heros now that think they are great, because they caught a fish on help from someone else and zero personal effort to get better.
These same top rods will always be willing to help somebody who wants to learn.

Isn’t that the truth!! So many want to be hero’s with zero effort, now I can post my catch on some sort of social media. I am a great fisherman!! So many starving for attention.. Sad people!!

Back