2016 Tuna Adventures

Saw some pics from a guide in Tofino who got out....it was on Instagram so not lots of info other than a pic of a half dozen.

We had an epic 2 day adventure! Left Renfrew @ 0530 after a 3 hour run we found the tuna off Barkley canyon managed to bag 23 in about six and ahalf hours, 3 triples 2 doubles and rest singles. We left the tuna grounds at 3 pm for a 2 hour run to Tofino for an overnight at the Marina West resort...... Day 2 did a little salmon in the am, it was on fire off Hotsprings cove and we retained 8 out of 14 springs 20 to 30 lbs. After limiting on springs it was back to Tofino and hot breakfast at Marina West. But we aren't done yet! It was time to head home to Renfrew with a little detour to Louden canyon as our Intel was the fish had moved west. We managed 9 more in 3 hours of trolling with one quadruple header.

I am new to tuna fishing, been wanting to give it a try this year I will be keeping my boat in renfrew for August and part of September.
If there are any boats or people going out to tuna fish sure would like to follow them out to the grounds, also probably have room on my boat as well.
I starting to gear up probably be visiting Trotac in Victoria any suggestions on gear would be appreciated.

Right on good for Jerry... He is one of the good guys for sure!
Quality fish to boot....

I am new to tuna fishing, been wanting to give it a try this year I will be keeping my boat in renfrew for August and part of September.
If there are any boats or people going out to tuna fish sure would like to follow them out to the grounds, also probably have room on my boat as well.
I starting to gear up probably be visiting Trotac in Victoria any suggestions on gear would be appreciated.
Welcome Dave, tuna fishing is about the most fun u can have with your pants on but be warned it is addicting. The most important thing about this fishery is safety, fish the weather not the calendar! What is the range on your boat?carry lots of fuel, out of Renfrew be prepared to run 80 to 90 miles each way then troll all day at 6 to 8 knots.
When u get to Renfrew look me up I have lots of gear u can use or give me a call I will let u know what u need at a minimum. Reach me through choicecharters.ca
Brick

Nicely done fellas :). The big smile says it all. Nice size fish to boot!

Thanks for posting Felix.

Look @ how long the fin on that Albie is!

And look @ how beat up the end of the tail is that fish has been travelling close with a lot of others.

Great Reports.... Good looking water. Terrafin has got good temps and weather looks good. Looking for buddy boat out of Bamfield for Friday or Saturday run for some longfins ! Thomas 250 816 1093

I'm think out out of Tofino on
Saturday, anyone else?

Dogbreath, fwiw, I think the tails get frayed from beating the bejeepers out of the boat deck. The caudals always seem pretty nice when coming in the boat.
Next time out, if I am so lucky as to get out again, I will pay more attention to that, just out of curiosity.

Dogbreath, fwiw, I think the tails get frayed from beating the bejeepers out of the boat deck. The caudals always seem pretty nice when coming in the boat.
Next time out, if I am so lucky as to get out again, I will pay more attention to that, just out of curiosity.
beat up tails is definite sign of schooling, later in the season they get even more frayed.

Back