2016 Tuna Adventures

Today looked good weather wise. Tomorrow afternoon the swell is building and the spacing cuts in half. We will look at it this evening and make the call. I'll give you a call later J-GLOBAL.

Good news is big bank looks great all day Friday! Might have to try for springs and flatties instead :).

Date / Time
(PDT)
Wind(knots) Wave height(m) Wave period(s) Pressure(kPa) Air temp(°C) Water temp(°C)
21:00 WSW 2 gust 2 0.7 18.0 102.2 15 15
30 June 2016

Looks awesome at La Perouse buoy. Good luck.

Boats are ready but Terrafin is not yet giving us enough positive data to GO!
We will be out on the highway most days so on water intel will give us more info.
If things go as normal (what ever normal means) & after Fishing Chasing and Catching
Albacore TUNA for our 7th season by the 20th of July (about) we should be into them here in the Esperanza Area.
Yep Tuna Fishing/Catching is the most FUN you can have with your cloths on in a BOAT!!
See out there. VHF 19 & 70
FOJ

Where do you guys fish out of? My father and I have had great albacore (30+ fish) out of tofino in the past 3 years, but I'm wondering if anyone has gone out of Victoria, or somewhere such as Esperanza, Nootka, etc. Are you just looking for the closest water temp or do you find that its best in one area? Talking to the Guides at Rodgers in Esperanza made it clear it is very hit and miss with there tuna, and the time of the year that they show up is quite varied. We would like to pre plan a trip, because in the past the Tuna fishing has been less than 24 hour notice, and im wondering if there is any predictability with the water. Thanks

Less than 24 hours notice due to weather I suspect. Its the same issue for all of us. What I have noticed is the further south of Tofino you get the more random the fishery becomes due to finding good water and fish. I believe and have had discussions with others who believe that the mouth of juan da fuca puts out a lot of water that can also cause an interruption in the blue water edge. In addition to this off of washington there is some regular cold water upwelling off of there that can cause problems.(correct me if I'm wrong)
Off Nootka I believe might be good but there are few reports from there. Esperanza should be great due to the short distance to the edge and I am surprised to hear a report that states otherwise.
In my opinion the fish off Tofino seem to be pretty predictable (location wise) once they show up in august. The next issue is whether they are biting or not.

There are some others doing special trips up north for tunes. Maybe they will chime in.

Less than 24 hours notice due to weather I suspect. Its the same issue for all of us. What I have noticed is the further south of Tofino you get the more random the fishery becomes due to finding good water and fish. I believe and have had discussions with others who believe that the mouth of juan da fuca puts out a lot of water that can also cause an interruption in the blue water edge. In addition to this off of washington there is some regular cold water upwelling off of there that can cause problems.(correct me if I'm wrong)
Off Nootka I believe might be good but there are few reports from there. Esperanza should be great due to the short distance to the edge and I am surprised to hear a report that states otherwise.
In my opinion the fish off Tofino seem to be pretty predictable (location wise) once they show up in august. The next issue is whether they are biting or not.

There are some others doing special trips up north for tunes. Maybe they will chime in.

BOOM! Drop the mic!

Stars are not aligning. Weather mostly and the chloro hasn't looked good either. Weather has been so unpredictable. A good two day window with a long period swell is what I am waiting for. The fever has subsided and I'm going to wait for the ideal conditions :). I haven't heard if anyone has tried yet.

August is pretty reliable so I'm patiently waiting.

Tuesday looks promising. The chloro is starting to look good as well. Might have to play hooky ;).

Some commercials have been on them locally since the last week of June. Water shots don't look like there is a great edge but certainly some nice water out there.

Good luck to anyone heading out this week. Water looks flat out there. We will be with you in spirit.

Ill be out there this week, in spirit:( as well.

a few boats going from bam on wednesday! go get em fellas!

Back