Emerging Issues for SVI Chinook Regulations

Extracted from that paper, 2010 Total Fraser River Chinook Harvest:

Commercial - 175000
FN - 18000
Fraser R Rec - 6000
Ocean Rec - ??

?? - Based on the Nicola stock data 06-09, where FN harvested avg 20%, ocean rec fisheries harvest ranged from 2%-10%, though this number might rise for the more abundant later returning stocks. In any case, commercial sector takes the lion's share of Fraser chinook, as always - ten times FN harvest (yes there's in-river poaching unreported, though more so for sockeye fisheries; also unreported by-catch of chinook/failure to properly handle or release by-catch in the large scale sockeye, pink and chum commie fisheries is also pervasive).

Since this 2010 data, due to conservation concerns the in-river Fraser rec fishery has been closed during the spring and summer chinook stock migration and the Area 19/20 fishery severely restricted so at worst forecast rec harvest would be at the low end of the impact shown by the Nicola stock charts, or less than 2% of harvest in the Ocean and with the total in-river closures, 0% for Fraser rec.

Not sure how DFO can justify further restrictions than that on the rec sector if there isn't a conservation concern that shuts down all sectors?

Cheers!

Ukee
great post Ukee D. I think the key piece of information here that needs to be emphasized is that Recreational sector HAS PRIORITY OF ALLOCATION on Chinook and Coho after FN FSC. If we press this point (that DFO has committed to and yet still disobeys their own mandate here) , it becomes all too clear where any re-allocation needs to come from.

When I copied and pasted the email addresses the email bounced back so I forwarded them one at a time to individual email addresses and they went out fine. Not sure why it wouldn't work the way it was formatted by Chris at SVIAC

Not sure how DFO can justify further restrictions than that on the rec sector if there isn't a conservation concern that shuts down all sectors?

Just watch, DFO will screw over area 19/20 again
we get shafted every year :(

I would get out as much as you can Craven just in case. I am just doing my letter now.

great post Ukee D. I think the key piece of information here that needs to be emphasized is that Recreational sector HAS PRIORITY OF ALLOCATION on Chinook and Coho after FN FSC. If we press this point (that DFO has committed to and yet still disobeys their own mandate here) , it becomes all too clear where any re-allocation needs to come from.
It appears they have abandoned that mandate the last few years

Sent in my letter,

This was the automatic reply from Tootoo's office; Pretty sure that inukitut is NOT an official language of Canada.

?????? ?????? ???????? H?? ??, ??????????? ??????. ?????? ???????? ??????? ?????????????, ???? ????????????. ????? ?????? ??????????? ?????????, ???????? ???? ????? ????????????, ??? ???? ????????? min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca<mailto:min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>

Thank you for contacting the office of Hunter Tootoo, MP for Nunavut.

Please be assured that your email will be carefully reviewed, and responded to appropriately.

If you are emailing with regards to my role as Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard, please email min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca<mailto:min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>

Merci d'avoir contact? le bureau de Hunter Tootoo, d?put? du Nunavut. S'il vous pla?t soyez assur? que votre courriel sera examin? attentivement, et r?pondu de mani?re appropri?e. Si vous envoyez un courriel ? l'?gard de mon r?le en tant que ministre des P?ches, des Oc?ans et de la Garde c?ti?re canadienne, s'il vous pla?t envoyer un courriel au min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca<mailto:min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>

Note:If you only see question marks as the beginning of this message it is because your computer is not set up to view the message in Inuktitut.

My letter:

Attn: The Honourable Hunter Tootoo
Minister of Fisheries and Oceans Canada
200 Kent Street, 13th Floor, Stn 13E228
Ottawa, ON
K1A 0E6

Dear Minister,

I am writing to you today to express my extreme concern over your department’s notification of review and potential closure of salmon fishing in areas 19 and 20 of the South Coast. I am a strong supporter of conservation measures in order to preserve and enhance salmon stocks of all species regardless of the impacts on all sectors and I encourage your department to continue to make science based conservation concerns and measures your top priority. I am not a supporter of horse trading one species for another and the unmitigated loss of control that a precedent of this nature will create. Your department’s irresponsible decision to consider allocating chinook stocks to FN groups in order to placate them for loss of sockeye will open a new door for further reallocations that extend not just to distinct species but further back in the scientific taxonomy beyond even genus or family groupings. Imagine a time when allocations of salmon are no longer available and new demands are made for the horse-trading of elk for salmon, ormoose for trout.

I am also very concerned about your department’s departure from its commitments to Sport Fishing sector’s priority to allocation of Chinook and Coho stocks after conservation and FSC commitments. With an average annual harvest of over 175,000 pieces by the commercial sector and an unknown total harvest by the sport fishing sector that in all likelihood represent less than 10% of the Commercial harvest, your department’s consideration of closing down the sport fishing sector is misguided and irresponsible. As a member of the resource user group that provides the single largest source of revenue on these stocks and a net contributor to the GDP and not a usurper from it, I will expect that my tax dollars are properly utilized to gain maximum benefit from this resource to the benefit of all Canadians and not a select few.

Sincerely

Steve Cooper

This was copied from the Island Outfitters website and highlights what Fraser River FNs are asking the department to do regarding Chinook.

Chinook:
Serious concerns regarding the implementation of Aboriginal Priority, Section 35(1) Rights, and the possibility that some First Nations may be bearing an unnecessary burden of conservation have been consistently expressed at previous Forums. In January 2016, it was stressed that low returns of sockeye result in increased access requirements for Chinook for FSC purposes. Priority access for FSC must be met prior to other fisheries occurring. Based on the DNA data from Chinook caught in recreational fisheries in Area 19 and 20 received from the Department, there are likely to be substantial impacts to Chinook stocks of concern in the Juan de Fuca recreational fishery in May, June and July in particular. It is strongly recommended that the Department regulate Area 19 and 20 in May, June and July as ‘no fishing for salmon’.
Participants then went on to make the following consensus recommendations:
 Remove the term “incidental” from the draft IFMP objective: “Conserve Fraser Spring 42 Chinook by minimizing incidental harvest in marine waters.
 The regulation of ‘no retention’ be replaced by ‘no fishing for salmon’ in the area known as “the banana”, off the mouth of the Fraser through to August. It is unreasonable to propose that fisheries occur off the mouth of the Fraser River while there are stocks of concern in the mix.
 Support for the Council of Ha’wiih’s recommendation of no fishing or retention of salmon in the West Coast Chinook Conservation rolling window closure.
 To accommodate First Nation access to Chinook, given the low expectations for sockeye returns, it was estimated that the exploitation rate for Chinook FSC will potentially need to be doubled or tripled. There will need to be a substantial decrease in other fisheries, on the order of magnitude of the Georgia Straight recreational fishery and/or in river sports fishery to accomplish this.
 Annual chinook limits in the recreational fishery need to be substantially reduced from 30.
 Area based licensing needs to be reviewed and additional enforcement and monitoring of the recreational fisheries are recommended.
Zoned management approach for Spring and Summer 52 Chinook:
 Participants would also like to remind the Department that while the Chinook Strategic Planning Initiative (CSPI) process is underway, the Department should not be entertaining any new Chinook recreational fishery proposals. Dedicated support to complete and implement the CSPI is needed, in the meantime, beginning the season in Zone 1 makes sense.
Adverse Environmental conditions:
 Participants suggested that DFO take steps to ensure that water withdrawals cease for the entire duration of these conditions in order to protect sensitive fish values.
 A Chinook in season management adjustment similar to that used to manage sockeye is needed in order to respond to variables such as low water levels, and high water temperature.
 During adverse environmental conditions and low abundance, management actions to limit recreational and commercial impacts (harvest, exploitation rate, and releases- since releases mortality rate may be much higher than assumed and deemed in recent IFMP’s), would be required throughout Vancouver Island and Northern BC to provide adequate protection for Cowichan River Chinook. Additional efforts are needed by the Department to ensure Provincially-regulated recreational fisheries that result in Chinook catch in the Cowichan River be closed.

This was copied from the Island Outfitters website and highlights what Fraser River FNs are asking the department to do regarding Chinook.

Chinook:
Serious concerns regarding the implementation of Aboriginal Priority, Section 35(1) Rights, and the possibility that some First Nations may be bearing an unnecessary burden of conservation have been consistently expressed at previous Forums. In January 2016, it was stressed that low returns of sockeye result in increased access requirements for Chinook for FSC purposes. Priority access for FSC must be met prior to other fisheries occurring. Based on the DNA data from Chinook caught in recreational fisheries in Area 19 and 20 received from the Department, there are likely to be substantial impacts to Chinook stocks of concern in the Juan de Fuca recreational fishery in May, June and July in particular. It is strongly recommended that the Department regulate Area 19 and 20 in May, June and July as ‘no fishing for salmon’.
 Remove the term “incidental” from the draft IFMP objective: “Conserve Fraser Spring 42 Chinook by minimizing incidental harvest in marine waters.
 The regulation of ‘no retention’ be replaced by ‘no fishing for salmon’ in the area known as “the banana”, off the mouth of the Fraser through to August. It is unreasonable to propose that fisheries occur off the mouth of the Fraser River while there are stocks of concern in the mix.
 Support for the Council of Ha’wiih’s recommendation of no fishing or retention of salmon in the West Coast Chinook Conservation rolling window closure.
 To accommodate First Nation access to Chinook, given the low expectations for sockeye returns, it was estimated that the exploitation rate for Chinook FSC will potentially need to be doubled or tripled. There will need to be a substantial decrease in other fisheries, on the order of magnitude of the Georgia Straight recreational fishery and/or in river sports fishery to accomplish this.
 Annual chinook limits in the recreational fishery need to be substantially reduced from 30.
 Area based licensing needs to be reviewed and additional enforcement and monitoring of the recreational fisheries are recommended.
 Participants would also like to remind the Department that while the Chinook Strategic Planning Initiative (CSPI) process is underway, the Department should not be entertaining any new Chinook recreational fishery proposals. Dedicated support to complete and implement the CSPI is needed, in the meantime, beginning the season in Zone 1 makes sense.
 Participants suggested that DFO take steps to ensure that water withdrawals cease for the entire duration of these conditions in order to protect sensitive fish values.
 A Chinook in season management adjustment similar to that used to manage sockeye is needed in order to respond to variables such as low water levels, and high water temperature.
 During adverse environmental conditions and low abundance, management actions to limit recreational and commercial impacts (harvest, exploitation rate, and releases- since releases mortality rate may be much higher than assumed and deemed in recent IFMP’s), would be required throughout Vancouver Island and Northern BC to provide adequate protection for Cowichan River Chinook. Additional efforts are needed by the Department to ensure Provincially-regulated recreational fisheries that result in Chinook catch in the Cowichan River be closed.

Hhhmmmmm, based on this exerpt, this has nothing to do with conservation of species but is rather about the "I/me/we" syndrome or 'keep your hands out of my cookie jar.'

Seems like a case of Reallocation disguised as Conservation. Letter sent.

Given the implications of this decision and how fast things seem to be evolving, I am guessing that it would be prudent to get this information to newspapers and other media outlets to hopefully make this an issue.

I attended the Sidney Anglers derby yesterday and the vast majority of other anglers had not heard anything about this matter. Assumedly, the general public has no idea about this. While the issue impacts recreational fisherman directly, it also has immense implications for municipalities, local businesses, and everyone in the southern Vancouver Island area. Lets get the word out ASAP so that we aren't the only voices of dissent.

Here is my letter that I sent today. I can't take credit for all of it, the bulk of it came from the Oak Bay Marine Group's letter (they were nice enough to send me a copy) Feel free to use some or all of it. Keep the letters going...

Dear Minister Tootoo:

I am writing you today to express my deep concern regarding information I have received that your department may consider further restrictions on the recreational chinook fishery, or even a closure of salmon fishing on the Juan De Fuca Strait in the spring and early summer of 2016.

I would like to remind you that the recreational fishery has consistently lead the way in implementing conservation based management measures in this and any other fishery we are involved in. In fact, in the case of the Fraser River Chinook stocks of concern the recreational fishery has met or exceeded all conservation based requirements outlined in your 2012 policy, and have driven our impact down to less than 3%.

It is even more troubling to me that the potential to close or further restrict the fishery we depend upon will not be based on conservation of depressed stocks, but rather will be based on a request from Fraser River First Nations to reallocate chinook from the recreational fishery to them so they can double or even triple their impacts on these very same stocks. While I fully recognize the responsibility your department has to provide access for food, social and ceremonial needs, I believe that these potential measures go well beyond that, and would in fact be an expression of exclusive access to all salmon. Clearly this would be disastrous to all tidal water fisheries.

What is most hurtful is that based on the most recent catch data provided by your department, if you impose further restrictions on our fishery, less than 500 chinook will be reallocated to these First Nations out of a run that is predicted by the Pacific Salmon Commission to return at over 258,000 fish for the Fraser Early stock group. This is forecast to be the largest return in decades for this run. Clearly conservation is not the issue here. Surely our fishery, and the businesses and communities who depend on it are worth more than a political gesture to you and your department?

Mr. Minister, I urge you to consider the importance of the recreational fishery to our businesses, families and communities on southern Vancouver Island and to maintain the policy you’ve had in place since 2012 which respects First Nations priority, treats all fisheries fairly and is based on science. If abundance indicates a relaxation of management measures is appropriate, then it should apply to all sectors based on good science and respect for conservation, not politics and legal threats. During the last federal election the Liberals ran on a platform of helping the struggling middle class, unfortunately the implementation of these restrictions will have exactly the opposite effect for many middle class families on Vancouver Island. The sport fishing industry provides many middle income families with their livelihood, implementing these restrictions will destroy that lively hood and have a large detrimental impact on the local economy. I believe our fishery is an important part of the social and economic fabric of our community. I hope you agree.

Regards

xxxxx

I sent the letter to the following people.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada:

Hunter Tootoo MP Liberal Minister Fisheries and Oceans Hunter.Tootoo@parl.gc.ca min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Rebecca Reid Pacific Region Driector General Rebecca.Reid@dfo-mpo.gc.ca Kelly Binning DFO IFMP Response Coordinator Kelly.Binning@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Fisheries Critics:

Fin Donnelly MP NDP Fisheries Critic Fin.Donnelly@parl.gc.ca

Mark Strahl MP Conservative Fisheries Critic Mark.Strahl@parl.gc.ca

Parliamentary Standing Committee on Fisheries and Oceans (Chairman)

Scott Simms MP Liberal Coast of Bays – Central – Notre Dame Scott.Simms@parl.gc.ca

South VI Members of Parliament:

Randall Garrison MP NDP Esquimalt – Saanich – Sooke Randall.Garrison@parl.gc.ca

Murray Rankin MP NDP Victoria Murray.Rankin@parl.gc.ca

Elizabeth May MP Green Saanich – Gulf Islands Elizabeth.May@parl.gc.ca

Christie Clark - Premier of B.C. - premier@gov.bc.ca

I sent my letter off. You know a lot of these demands are typical and are ridiculous . The biggest one that strikes me a sneaky is that last line about Cowichan river Chinook. Too me that is an attempt to limit the straight of Georgia fisheries in Vancouver Island as Cowichan fish pass by there. So it accomplishes an area 19 and 20 closure and all areas ( 17, 18 etc.) possibly up to Campbell river. Why would they throw in Cowichan in wording? Unless Cowichan first nations is also involved with this. I don't think so though but that is a big red flag in demands as I read it.

Chinook:

Last edited:
They also want to reduce the annual 30 Chinook limit which would have more of a coast wide effect.

These are very serious changes that are being proposed that impact all rec. fishers up and down the whole coast. All the more reason we must let the DFO Minister know how we feel about this.
If you haven't writing a letter please do so now!

Back