What is this part called?

Daveroo

My gear shifter on my Yamaha 8 outboard broke a part. I replaced the broken part but am having problems re-attaching a small part. It is the "stopper" ring at the end of a shaft to prevent the shaft from sliding free of a sleeve. What is the part pictured called and what's the best way to attach again? Is special tool required?
78c87735a9c19fd58384d246425ea45a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people call it a c clip or and e clip but I think the correct term is a rotor clip.
You line it up and then push it on.
I use needle nose pliers to hold the clip or a flat blade screw driver push it.
When possible I stuff a rag underneath to catch it, if it falls.

I beleive Yamaha calls them Circlips, you can get them from a Yamaha as well. Needle nose pliers worked best for me.

or my fix , a small piece of stainless bail wire... hasnt failed in six years on the grocery getter.

or my fix , a small piece of stainless bail wire... hasnt failed in six years on the grocery getter.

But it will, and it will be cold, dark and raining when it fails lol
Your wife won't be happy when she finds out it was a 65cent part

They are circlips. Generally you will find a small groove on the shaft. this is where the circlips fits. Most times you can just push it into the groove by placing a pair of pliers across the shaft and the back of the clip and push it on.

My problem was not that I needed the part, I wanted to know what they were call so I could Google how to get it back on the shaft. It is from inside my throttle handle on my outboard and I was having trouble getting it back on because the space is very tight in the handle and I was having no success with my regular needle nose pliers getting it on. Thanks to GLG's hint, I dug up my smallest needle nose and using a flat head screwdriver, pushed it in while holding it in place with the micro needle nose pliers. I discovered there is a special tool just for installing these clips, especially in the tight space situation like mine, but with the hints here I got it done without buying a special tool which I will rarely ever use. Have a few of those already. The throttle assembly is all put back to together and I'm ready to hit the water again! Thanks to all for your info.

Its called a Jesus clip cause when you try and take it off it goes flying and you say...."jesus where did that clip go?"

Back