Boat covers...

jeffywestcoast

Been looking for a boat cover for my 17' runabout, all i seem to find is crappy nylon ones.. Does anyone have any input as in where to find a decent one? Not looking for a boat shelter just a cover to keep the needles n cones out of my bilge..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Marine has some on the shelf. Might be crappy nylon and it is 50%off but knowing their prices might be 50% overpriced. Worth a shot though!

Thanks guys , dont need a custom fit , just one the works for a 17 runabout with an outboard..

Ebay Jeff
Always lots of them.
Get a 3 layer construction one breathable yet water repellant same time.
Put a pole inside from floor to cover to keep it pyramided up and help run the rain off and not pool

Sent from my rotary phone using tapacrap!

Well i tried west marine but the place was picked over like a third world food drop.. They had somenice covers for a bass boat..... Time was pf the essence im affraid so i pulled the trigger on this one from Classic acessories.. 289.99 plus taz was 324.79 was more then i wanted to spend but it is deluxe marine canvas.. The 100$ one looked like the equivalent of a cheap wind breaker...

d580f35cbe0485f171ea5cdf75950e94.jpg
the fit was a little bit off because of the swim step on the back but it snugged up tight and will do the trick i think...

I have basically the same one,jeffy.As mentioned earlier,get a pole that mounts in the center of the boat that will
peak the cover so that water doesn't pool anywhere.If you don't the material will stretch,rot,then tear where it pools.
Been there,done that.I think Taylor Made is the brand of the one I use on my boat.Works like a hot damn and my
cover is going on 3 years now and still holding up!
Edit:Just looked it up and it's a Taylor Made Boat Cover Support System.Comes with
Nylon straps that help to support the cover.Works great if you get an evening snowfall
in the winter months.Highly recommended!

Last edited by a moderator:
Seen the little pole thingy at Ukrainian tire for about 50$ , the classic accessories cover pulls tight with two draw straps at the back ,we had one hell of a blow here last night..
fdb3cea0712b586579c79bf5823a4e5e.jpg
Didn't seem to have any pooling issues so far , when i park it winterized for the season i will look at the pole option but for now i think im good[emoji41]

Seen the little pole thingy at Ukrainian tire for about 50$ , the classic accessories cover pulls tight with two draw straps at the back ,we had one hell of a blow here last night..
fdb3cea0712b586579c79bf5823a4e5e.jpg
Didn't seem to have any pooling issues so far , when i park it winterized for the season i will look at the pole option but for now i think im good[emoji41]

I had one of those poles...it's about as tough as wet toilet paper....better off to fab your own out of pvc tubing and a 2x4....

I usually build a little A frame for mine out of 2x4's so you end up with a ridgeline from tip to tail. No snow load ever and keeps everything up off the windshield etc.....Jeff what you show in the pic won't work with snow, it'll sag and belly before it slides.

Make a pole using PVC, then get a kids rubber ball about 5-6" diameter, cut it to fit on the end of the PVC so no sharp edges to damage the cover. Sometimes a second pole is needed, depends on boat layout and fit of cover.

Thanks for the tips guys , i like the pvc idea , easy on the tarp n strong.. Will look at that

I tied a 1" flat web rope to the bow. Tilted my motor slightly and tied the bow rope to the leg. Placed a foam pad on engine cover to protect against rubbing. Placed more ropes starboard to port for support along the bow section. Thru a tarp over it tied to the bow and leg. Tilted the motor Down which pulled it tight front to back. Tie off all the tarp to the trailer with a truckers knot. It gets pretty tight doesn't flap or pond water and snow. When I need to go out it comes off in few minutes.

I got this cover from Princess Auto last year. It is holding up really well. The fir isn't great because the windshield on my ThunderJet is a lot further forward than most fibreglass runabouts. I think a lot of aluminum boats are built this way and it is tough to find a cover to fit them.

http://classicaccessories.com/boat/boat-covers/stormpro-boat-cover

I run a 2x4 from the windshield to the transom, but I love the whole webbing trick that bones mentions above. I think I will give that a try this winter.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

Back